= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #4,561 of 21,171
  Wonderful. What do you mean by upfront though?

Both the LCD-X and HE-400 have a lowered upper midrange region.  This pushes the lower midrange and bass forward in your perceived hearing.  With the 560 you won't get as much of that effect.  

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #4,564 of 21,171

This is definitely not a bass-heavy phone.  With that said, if the bass is in the track, it will be reproduced, if it's not, then it won't.  With that said, I don't feel that these will satisfy bassheads looking for quantity...  If they want quality, they will get it. If you want the bigger, fatter bass, the 400i may be a better direction to go. 

Well, I don't want a bass-heavy phone, so great. I like linear/neutral with a bit of emphasis in bass. Hmm, when you say it that way it makes me think of the STAX headphones. Hmm, maybe so, but what will I be sacrificing getting the 400i?

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #4,566 of 21,171

Well, I don't want a bass-heavy phone, so great. I like linear/neutral with a bit of emphasis in bass. Hmm, when you say it that way it makes me think of the STAX headphones. Hmm, maybe so, but what will I be sacrificing getting the 400i?

Mainly some midrange aggressiveness (400s are smoother) and possibly some treble detailing.  You'll probably end up losing some airyness as well (the 400i didn't sound too airy to my ears).  It's been a couple weeks since I heard both.  I am planning on getting my hands on the 400i, so a better comparison will come when people get those in their hands :wink: 

To put it short, the 400i is a thicker, smoother sound in contrast to the 560.  I also felt that it pushed the upper midrange instrumentals and vocals a little further too. 

______

Quick note, I personally don't consider the 560 able to satisfy bass-heads...  I feel the 400i may do a better job at that :wink: 

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #4,567 of 21,171

Mainly some midrange aggressiveness (400s are smoother) and possibly some treble detailing.  You'll probably end up losing some airyness as well (the 400i didn't sound too airy to my ears).  It's been a couple weeks since I heard both.  I am planning on getting my hands on the 400i, so a better comparison will come when people get those in their hands :wink: 

To put it short, the 400i is a thicker, smoother sound in contrast to the 560.  I also felt that it pushed the upper midrange instrumentals and vocals a little further too. 

______

Quick note, I personally don't consider the 560 able to satisfy bass-heads...  I feel the 400i may do a better job at that :wink: 

Hmmmmmm. Kinda a toss up. Then again, the 560 is certainly the better headphone all around, and the only thing that it'll be doing more for me is the bass. Bass is a big deal for me though. Maybe I should just EQ some in? lol.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #4,568 of 21,171

Hmmmmmm. Kinda a toss up. Then again, the 560 is certainly the better headphone all around, and the only thing that it'll be doing more for me is the bass. Bass is a big deal for me though. Maybe I should just EQ some in? lol.

I'm not sure if you can, try to find a way to try them?  I know HiFiMan is doing a 560 tour: http://www.head-fi.org/t/725559/hifiman-he-560-us-touring-event-sign-up-right-now

It might be worth looking into. 

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #4,569 of 21,171

It really just depends on what your standard for bass is.
For instance, I hate headphones that pump out excessive bass with genres where it shouldn't be. That is also the reason why I love neutral, linear and extended headphones, because most of those are able to gauge bass the way a song is tuned/a genre should get.
You won't get the same amount as with bass heavy cans, but you get plenty for hip-hop/dance, less for rock, pop and so on...

It allows me to appreciate a song more as a coherent entity, with no detail masking and lots of details and subtleties all around... that's what I like 
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #4,571 of 21,171

I'm not sure if you can, try to find a way to try them?  I know HiFiMan is doing a 560 tour: http://www.head-fi.org/t/725559/hifiman-he-560-us-touring-event-sign-up-right-now

It might be worth looking into. 

That is beyond amazing to me. Makes me love HFM even more. Thanks.
  It really just depends on what your standard for bass is.
For instance, I hate headphones that pump out excessive bass with genres where it shouldn't be. That is also the reason why I love neutral, linear and extended headphones, because most of those are able to gauge bass the way a song is tuned/a genre should get.
You won't get the same amount as with bass heavy cans, but you get plenty for hip-hop/dance, less for rock, pop and so on...

It allows me to appreciate a song more as a coherent entity, with no detail masking and lots of details and subtleties all around... that's what I like 
biggrin.gif

Same. I think I actually have a problem. Grew up with primarily rap, hip-hop, and pop I believe, so my sonic tastes are a bit skewed. I'm accustomed to emphasized bass due to all the years of listening, especially starting early on. It's something I've come to love though. It's my "neutral" I guess. I've not really had a chance to appreciate sound the way it's been mastered. Maybe I need to slow down on the bass, lol.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #4,572 of 21,171
I find that with the right equipment the 560 shine out of a computer etc sound awful
I am very happy with comfort and SQ I don't understand all the complaining especially from people who have not even heard them

Some people are sensitive to treble, and that bump at the 4k may be bad for them...  The dip at the 2k, I believe, is to reduce sibilance (If I EQ the 2k back up, I gain sibilance). But yeah, they should try the 560 first though... 

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #4,573 of 21,171
Have the 560 driven by the Lyr lots of power
I find that I have to set the volume higher on the 560 then the 500 should be other way around anyone else notice this

Yes. My Pre560 and Prod560 are slightly less efficient than my HE-500. I do need to increase the volume knob ever so slightly when going from the 500 to either 560.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #4,574 of 21,171

That is beyond amazing to me. Makes me love HFM even more. Thanks.
Same. I think I actually have a problem. Grew up with primarily rap, hip-hop, and pop I believe, so my sonic tastes are a bit skewed. I'm accustomed to emphasized bass due to all the years of listening, especially starting early on. It's something I've come to love though. It's my "neutral" I guess. I've not really had a chance to appreciate sound the way it's been mastered. Maybe I need to slow down on the bass, lol.

I was in the very same camp two years ago, lol.
My preferences, however, shifted 180 degrees.
I loved hip-hop and rap, with some modern electronic music and I also started with V shaped, bass heavy cans, like the Pro900s...
Now I hate the very same genres I loved, because I realized there is so, so, SO much detail masking because of excessively pumped [one notey] bass, it made me resent it.
I guess you could say I just hate the exaggerated bass then, I actually don't mind them that much with neutral gear, where there's little masking because the bass is tight [it made me realize that even those genres have some other subtle details beyond their bassy nature... crazy!].
I also actually really dig pop & rock, because they usually have just the right amount of bass to blend in with the rest of the frequencies. I obviously love many genres and only dislike very few.

As of late, treble is the area that troubles me more... The modern recordings are sometimes mastered just too brightly and are too hot up top :/ I love the music I hear, but hate the treble sometimes.

HE-560, being a very even sounding headphone, should be ideal. I feel that both my current favorite headphones [K612 & MA900] struggle in the treble a bit too, The Ks being a bit nasal and strident sometimes and the MAs just roll off waaay too quickly to provide an appreciable amount of treble extension... IMO of course.

I think I am getting picky with headphones 
eek.gif
 I preordered the 560 almost 5 months ago... I won't lie, my expectations are extremely high and I pray they deliver. [Granted, I'll be grabbing all the available pads, but whatever pads they come with will certainly suffice for the time being, both comfort wise and sound wise
smily_headphones1.gif
]

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #4,575 of 21,171
  I was in the very same camp two years ago, lol.
My preferences, however, shifted 180 degrees.
I loved hip-hop and rap, with some modern electronic music and I also started with V shaped, bass heavy cans, like the Pro900s...
Now I hate the very same genres I loved, because I realized there is so, so, SO much detail masking because of excessively pumped [one notey] bass, it made me resent it.
I guess you could say I just hate the exaggerated bass then, I actually don't mind them that much with neutral gear, where there's little masking because the bass is tight [it made me realize that even those genres have some other subtle details beyond their bassy nature... crazy!].
I also actually really dig pop & rock, because they usually have just the right amount of bass to blend in with the rest of the frequencies. I obviously love many genres and only dislike very few.

As of late, treble is the area that troubles me more... The modern recordings are sometimes mastered just too brightly and are too hot up top :/ I love the music I hear, but hate the treble sometimes.

HE-560, being a very even sounding headphone, should be ideal. I feel that both my current favorite headphones [K612 & MA900] struggle in the treble a bit too, The Ks being a bit nasal and strident sometimes and the MAs just roll off waaay too quickly to provide an appreciable amount of treble extension... IMO of course.

I think I am getting picky with headphones 
eek.gif

Awh, I'm not alone :)
Yeah, electronic music is great sometimes as well. Never really had bass heavy cans yet, but I've certainly had bass heavy speakers. My Klipsch promedia's have AWESOME bass.
Oh wow. Don't think I'll ever hate em though. I feel you though. I hate one notey bass. Sub-bass is probably my favorite :)
That's awesome! Good it's not as simple as just bass.
Right on, they do bass well for sure, especially rock.

Yes, treble is an iffy area for me as well. I don't mean to focus so much on bass, I LOVE my mids as well. Treble is... idk. I've not really gotten a feel for it yet.

They are indeed, quite even, certainly a benefit of planar tech. Bah, I wouldn't say you're getting picky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back