= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 27, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #256 of 21,171
WOW YOU GUYS BASICALLY GOT A FULL REVIEW OUT OF JERGE with all these questions... He is taking em like a champ though! Good job Jerg!!

He might as well do a full review now and stop taking questions.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #257 of 21,171
  I never found HE500s to have trouble with complex music though. The transients trait always evades my judgement because I never know if it's just due to the tonal balance (more treble / treble extension?) or maybe resonance (HE500 has a resonant lower end) or something about tighter diaphragms.

Another interesting thing I've just noticed, but unlike the He-500's, they only have a magnet on one side of the driver.

That could explain the weight.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #258 of 21,171
  Are the clips the same or different on the 560 pads?

They are identical, just be aware that at least with the units we received, the pads are glued to the mounting rings.

WOW YOU GUYS BASICALLY GOT A FULL REVIEW OUT OF JERGE with all these questions... He is taking em like a champ though! Good job Jerg!!

He might as well do a full review now and stop taking questions.

You might want to check out the first post of this thread lol.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #260 of 21,171
  Hm...I might try my jergpads on the HE560 tomorrow lol, and swap the new velourtop pleather pads onto HE500s.

popcorn.gif

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #261 of 21,171
I come back and there's 15 more pages. Holy ships, you guys have been busy!

The phone looks more ergonomic, although I don't like the weird logo on the side along with "HE-560." I preferred the older simple and gentle Hifiman on the circle connector. Maybe it looks better in person, who knows.

I see this is more neutral in bass and overall sound but getting mixed opinions on bass, does it have less extension or more extension than HE-500 or HE-6?

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #262 of 21,171

The phone looks more ergonomic, although I don't like the weird logo on the side along with "HE-560." I preferred the older simple and gentle Hifiman on the circle connector. Maybe it looks better in person, who knows.

I see this is more neutral in bass and overall sound but getting mixed opinions on bass, does it have less extension or more extension than HE-500 or HE-6?

To me it sounds like it rolls off a bit faster than HE500 (starts sliding down around 30 Hz, rather than HE500 where it doesn't happen until 24 Hz or so) but is cleaner / has less harmonic distortion. Seems like HE6 is still king.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #265 of 21,171
  To me it sounds like it rolls off a bit faster than HE500 but is cleaner / has less harmonic distortion. Seems like HE6 is still king.

Damn it. Unless the sound blows me away completely in person, it looks like I'll end up with a Fostex. I'd give the HE-6 a shot for it's sound, but it's a definite no-no for a while due to it's sensitivity.

I wonder if the 400i's will offer a lower extension?

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #266 of 21,171
  Did Fang mention if they are replacing the HE6 or leaving it as is?

HE6 will stay until its successor comes (not for a while); HE560 will replace HE500, and HE400i replacing HE400.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #267 of 21,171

Out of all the things about sound quality, a few sub-30Hz dBs is what you worry about the most? Haha. I've been analyzing these with some bassy synth stuff and I think they are flat out better than HE500s for EDM/electronic, the combination of really airy precise imaging and tight bass with lots of grunt is just a winning combination for those genres.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #268 of 21,171

To me it sounds like it rolls off a bit faster than HE500 (starts sliding down around 30 Hz, rather than HE500 where it doesn't happen until 24 Hz or so) but is cleaner / has less harmonic distortion. Seems like HE6 is still king.

@conquerator2 will not like this at all.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #269 of 21,171
  Out of all the things about sound quality, a few sub-30Hz dBs is what you worry about the most? Haha.

Agreed LOL. Though I will say that I would've been looking for a few db improvement in extension so that would add up to be a good amount of db less than what i would've expected.

Jerg, I really appreciate this. Good job with answering questions and I will say you definitely don't seem to be talking subjectively. Everything you're saying seems genuine and objective, I like that.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #270 of 21,171
Jerg, I have to commend and thank you for answering all of these questions thrown your way, you have been patient and gracious.

I have to ask, have you ever had any experience with the HE6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back