= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 27, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #211 of 21,171
  The grill-retaining rings are proving to be a PITA to extract...I can't brute-force it either because the cups are wood. Ughhhh.

Edit: it's coming out...Ah ok so these don't have the 4 plastic tabs and slots, instead it's only held down by the glue. I guess that makes sense with the wooden cup.

Interesting, but that does make sense.  How do you think that will affect doing the grill mod?  Seems like a PITA to have to glue them every time.  There should be some substance that will make removing the rings easier... putty or tape.

Pix?  
biggrin.gif

(He said shamelessly, after telling you to avoid the thread :wink:

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #212 of 21,171
  Lol certainly not emphasized like that. Treble is very much in-line with mids/bass. 

I've been testing out some bassy stuff (James Blake, Infected Mushroom) and the bass is surprisingly great, a lot of grunt in it.

Sounds like our usual HiFiMAN bass then - there when you need it :D
Sealed the deal.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #213 of 21,171

Interesting, but that does make sense.  How do you think that will affect doing the grill mod?  Seems like a PITA to have to glue them every time.  There should be some substance that will make removing the rings easier... putty or tape.

Pix?  
biggrin.gif

Well atm it seems to stay in well just with friction. I transplanted my only pair of grill cutouts from my HE500s (<-sorry) to it temporarily.

I think regrilling mod is almost mandatory with HE560 (for my tastes, which favour slightly darker tonal balance), because the upper end energy/edge gets cut down a little when I lose the full stock grill/fabric, and the resulting balance feels a bit more "right".

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #214 of 21,171
Modding aside,
What's the deal with the sensitivity then?
Are they easier to drive or no?

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #216 of 21,171
  Well atm it seems to stay in well just with friction. I transplanted my only pair of grill cutouts from my HE500s (<-sorry) to it temporarily.

I think regrilling mod is almost mandatory with HE560, because the upper end energy/edge gets cut down a little when I lose the full stock grill/fabric, and the resulting balance feels a bit more "right".

Well, that's certainly the ideal way :)

It's always nice to have mods that can be done using different materials, and totally reversed with no harm done.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #217 of 21,171
I'm beginning to realize that the bass on these might be superior to HE500 and HE400 both (it comes off as having HE400's bass tightness but HE500's extension). It's just that I've not listened to my HE400s for so long that I forgot what really tight bass sounds like.

So you're not a tester, rather you were given the phone?

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #220 of 21,171
Thanks for the pic.

re: better bass, let's see:
HE-500s @ $600
HE-400s @ $300
HE-560s @ $900
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #221 of 21,171

Pix?  
biggrin.gif

I think regrilling mod is almost mandatory with HE560, because the upper end energy/edge gets cut down a little when I lose the full stock grill/fabric, and the resulting balance feels a bit more "right".

Well, I guess I won't be getting these........regrilling mod is almost mandatory, and only hours old!

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #222 of 21,171
  Now I hope we don't have a second HD800 case here

Not even close.  If anything the treble is very smooth, almost too smooth for my tastes.  But I'm used to the edgier Treble in the HE-6.  I noticed the new ear pads definitely take the edge off of the treble, trying them with my HE-6 now. 

They still have plenty of treble extension, it's just not nearly as much as the HE-6 and not as punchy in the low treble region.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #223 of 21,171

Well, that's certainly the ideal way :)

It's always nice to have mods that can be done using different materials, and totally reversed with no harm done.

Eh I kinda like the small tabs method, it is really easy to install/remove and it 100% stays on properly when it's in. This tab-less glue-based grill retaining ring doesn't feel as secure/elegant from an OCD standpoint.

I think they had to do it because they can't reliably mill away the tiny slots in the wood cups, unlike the plastic cups.

Well, I guess I won't be getting these........regrilling mod is almost mandatory, and only hours old!

Maybe I should add "for my tastes", because I am accustomed to the HE500's tonal balance, and HE500s are notorious for being called dark. Case in point, look at Edwood's post above mine here, he thinks these LACK edge in the upper end lol, because he's used to HE6 it seems.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #224 of 21,171
OK, now we officially have the first modded HE-560 on Earth... It is a record, for sure. A couple hours after the first production samples have landed.
This will start giving HiFiMAN some ideas for a mk2, in case that ever needs to happen...
I guess most of us wasn't expecting anything other than that from jerg. I really appreciate the early impressions as well as the early mods. 
popcorn.gif

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #225 of 21,171
  Eh I kinda like the small tabs method, it is really easy to install/remove and it 100% stays on properly when it's in. This tab-less glue-based grill retaining ring doesn't feel as secure/elegant from an OCD standpoint.

I think they had to do it because they can't reliably mill away the tiny slots in the wood cups, unlike the plastic cups.

Maybe I should add "for my tastes", because I am accustomed to the HE500's tonal balance, and HE500s are notorious for being called dark.

Oh, I agree, I prefer the solid feeling of getting the tabs in their slots.  I meant ideal with the HE-560s, rather than having to improvise some method to secure them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back