= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 17, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #20,581 of 21,171
Used 560's are not getting a lot in terms of used sale prices - given the price of the latest version, how many are out there, and the seeming never ending stream of HFM's.

The HEX V2 is a better can IMO than the 560, but different in that its a bit warmer and more forgiving. It also has a wider soundstage and produces more detail. Used it can be had for $650-750, and even in 18 months it should hold around $500.

The Ananda is closer to the 560 IMO, so somewhat more of the same. Some are showing up used at $700-750. It also should hold at $500 for some pretty long period so you could buy it, own it for a year and just pay a fairly small "rental" fee.

Haven't heard the Arya, some say that it's closer to the 1000 V1 than V2. Dunno. But I do surmise that a year from now used prices will be under $1k given the slide on other HFM products. Look at the 1000 V2 - quite a few going for $1650-1800 lately, that's a big slide from list.

That's all I needed to hear. Thank you. I decided to keep both sets of my he560. Maybe in another year I'll try something different.

Feb 18, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #20,582 of 21,171
Bought the ifi micro ids black label yesterday, my he560 runs like a champ on it. Running turbo mode, no channel imbalance after 9:30 volume knob. This amp really smooth out the treble of the 560 for me, while providing a much fuller and warmer sound. Bass is really really fast compared to my previous stack, while the mid doesn't change that much. There's also a very noticeable increase in details.

Soundstage feels a bit narrower than my Fiio e10k + Magni 3 combo, but more 3D and intimate.

I'm wondering if its becuz its providing enough power for the 560, or its becuz of the nature of the amp itself, or maybe both.

What an amazing little dac+amp. Definitely recommended for planars.

Feb 18, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #20,583 of 21,171
He-560 driven properly with good source will amaze you.
You will not miss any high-end phones with far less investment.
Timbre is just spot on, and treble is very good with ample bass extension and quantity.

20190218_190713.jpg

Feb 19, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #20,584 of 21,171
He-560 driven properly with good source will amaze you.
You will not miss any high-end phones with far less investment.
Timbre is just spot on, and treble is very good with ample bass extension and quantity.

well i am amazed already, just from this little amp...
I'm wondering if i have sth more powerful, how is it gonna sound?

Another thing i notice is that this thing just synergize really well with the 560. Driving those in eco mode sounds a bit worse than turbo, yet only the fullness of the sound and the lower end suffers a bit, not the details. Heck, the treble is still unchanged, AKA not ear piercing. So yea, i do not expect the 560 to sound good on a super strong yet incompatible amp. Eco mode on the black label is still way more pleasant than on the magni 3 high gain for me.

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #20,585 of 21,171

Another thing i notice is that this thing just synergize really well with the 560. Driving those in eco mode sounds a bit worse than turbo, yet only the fullness of the sound and the lower end suffers a bit, not the details. Heck, the treble is still unchanged, AKA not ear piercing. So yea, i do not expect the 560 to sound good on a super strong yet incompatible amp. Eco mode on the black label is still way more pleasant than on the magni 3 high gain for me.

The Black Label is a magic little box. With the 560, I prefer the BL to my 28.38! That pairing is one of the most pleasing I think I've ever heard.

Feb 20, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #20,586 of 21,171
I am so shocked with the change the pad rolling brings! My Dekoni Elite Hybrid arrived yesterday and these made my 560 sound like an absolutely different pair of headphones... I ordered Elite Hybrid version especially to avoid drastic changes from stock earpads but it is not the case. I'm still trying to understand if I like the new sound entirely, but the fact is that the music sounds more intimate, more detailed and, most important, natural to my ears now. The possible downside is that high frequencies got rolled off and the sound is less sparkling and bright as it used to be. Getting rid of HF spike is a good thing but my ears got used to it now and I'm having a hard time getting used to a new tamed version of HF now. :deadhorse:

Another aspect that worries me that during pad switching the stock pads got very loose and they are not that fixed as they were. There is a slight shifting present in the installed position. Is it normal? Should I buy new plastic rings to avoid this problem?

UPDATE: My ears adapted and do not want stock earpads anymore. I tried switching back and the sound gets more lackluster and artificial with stock ones. Hurray!)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #20,587 of 21,171

The 560s need a powerful amp to reach peak performance. If you are looking for a budget option that will provide great performance check out Emotiva Basx A-100 for $230 shipped. If you install the optional jumpers it provides crazy amounts of power for the 560s, at a level that can drive speakers. There are also speaker outputs on the back so it can be a dual purpose amp. You just need to be careful to not inadvertently turn the volume ķnob up too high before you plug headphones in.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #20,588 of 21,171
Compared to my previous he-6, which made me miserable to take its own upgrade path with lots of money, but he-560 has good enough for having planar sonic world
BTW, how HE-560 are doing in comparison to HE-6 soundwise, taking apart the huge price difference
and helluva lot of amplification needed to drive heavy HE-6?

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #20,589 of 21,171
BTW, how HE-560 are doing in comparison to HE-6 soundwise, taking apart the huge price difference
Well driven He-560 is approaching almost to the same quality of he-6 for highs where usually he-6 is considered better, maybe only 5% difference in there???.
He-6 is generally better with speaker tap of power amplifier which has 50 watts to more than 100 watts, and those power justifies the quantity and the quality of bass of the phones.
Some people said that good quality class A power amplifier with more than 5 watts was sufficient for example, Firstwatt amplifier series, which is very expensive.
Nowadays there are some capable amp like Violectric HPA V281, or gustard h20 having enough power to drive he-6 which have enough power to drive.
In my early days of headfier, my focussed effort was on the phones and more expensive phones.
Now accumulated wisdom tells that you must consider overall improvement of chain of audio devices from source to usb clock stabilizer-> ddc -> dac-> cable->amp->headphone cable->headphones.
I am trying to buy a good USB interface to my dac which is a ddc. And this good ddc might change everything in a surprising way.

The photo below is my usb clock stabilizer with usb cable.
Those balanced upgrades for overall chain justifies every collection of your phones and makes them shine in its own way of nature in beautiful way.
Perhaps your 50 dollar phone would amaze you.
20190221_174509.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #20,591 of 21,171

A long time ago (1,5 years) I had the opportunity to compare the HE-6 and HE560 from the Violectric HPA V281 and to my ears the HE-6 was noticeable better in both the bass and treble. Despite this I ended up with the HE560 due to way better ergonomics and better price to performance ratio....

Feb 22, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #20,592 of 21,171
and better price to performance ratio....
Yep, in this regard IMO they are almost second to none, at least among the models I am aware of.

I was told that, right, HE-6 are very good indeed and now they sell 6SE new but
the price.. circa 1700-1800$ plus a necessity for a very decent = expensive amp to "spur" them enought to reveal the whole potential..
That V281 you mentioned itself would cost approx. 2.5 grand. :)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #20,593 of 21,171
Yep, in this regard IMO they are almost second to none, at least among the models I am aware of.

I was told that, right, HE-6 are very good indeed and now they sell 6SE new but
the price.. circa 1700-1800$ plus a necessity for a very decent = expensive amp to "spur" them enought to reveal the whole potential..
That V281 you mentioned itself would cost approx. 2.5 grand. :)

Yeah, despite this I still keep looking for a used pair of HE-6 to pop up at a decent price :wink:

I've got a Burson Conductor V2+ which by all indications should have enough power for them so I wouldn't have to get a new amp for it which obviously helps in my case.

Feb 22, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #20,594 of 21,171
for a used pair of HE-6
Same here, btw, on a lookout as well :)
my forum mate who had almost all HE's advised me that 560>>6
would be a reasonable upgrade which is worth it as long as a good mighty amp is in place.
Otherwise, said he, continue enjoying your 560s without wasting time/money for other intermediate models. :)
He sold his HE-6 only after he'd made sure that his Abyss 1266 were reliable enough.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back