= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 17, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #20,071 of 21,171
Hifiman sent me the Sundara set and arrived within 3 days from first contact at my house across the country (NY to Seattle). Granted, I own the "V2" set not the V3. I dont know why it would take so long for adorama to get supplied up, since they are in the same state.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #20,072 of 21,171
Well, looks like the name has been clarified. The newest rev is called HiFiMan 560 V3:
https://www.adorama.com/hmhe560v3.html

That makes the SMC V1 and the 2.5mm V2. Yay for clarity!

funny thing is the box just says he-560 with no version number lol. i just emailed adorama yet again to see what taking so long to get the new band that was supposed to be shipping out to me already.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #20,073 of 21,171
Hifiman sent me the Sundara set and arrived within 3 days from first contact at my house across the country (NY to Seattle). Granted, I own the "V2" set not the V3. I dont know why it would take so long for adorama to get supplied up, since they are in the same state.
the "v3" they say is the exact same thing with the newer band otherwise there is no difference at least that was the response i got

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #20,074 of 21,171
Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #20,076 of 21,171
Hi all,

I got in troubles with my HE-560 bought couple of months ago from an Amazon vendor, I got a rattle, like small particles kicking the driver when bass pumps in, on the right driver only. It was not related to the output volume, instead was more related to the lower frequencies. I was in contact with Mark from Hifiman and he told me to check if there are some big dust particles on top/bottom of the driver, but after opening up the driver I saw one particle inside and not outside.

However, I was taking apart the right driver and cleaning up everything inside, but after assembling the driver back the internal resistance was oscillating between few hundred Ohms and infinite, even after multiple retries, so it's clear to me that disassembling the driver will make it impossible to put it back together perfectly, like manufacturer did, and the electrical contact between the internal coil and the outer connectors will not be perfect anymore (definitely voiding the warranty!). I've also attached some pics with inside and outside the driver, but please don't take your Hifiman drivers apart, as the electrical contact will not be perfect anymore and your drivers will most likely get out of order!

WP_20180703_20_45_58_Pro.jpg WP_20180703_20_45_33_Pro.jpg WP_20180703_20_43_56_Pro.jpg WP_20180703_20_43_40_Pro.jpg WP_20180703_20_39_50_Pro.jpg WP_20180703_20_12_56_Pro.jpg WP_20180703_07_39_11_Pro.jpg WP_20180703_07_38_04_Pro.jpg

The above pics are for curiosity only, so don't take drivers apart!

Mark sent me a brand new replacement that work perfectly now; I will do a couple of hundreds of hours of listening within a month, but I'm sure the replacement HE-560 would be perfect.

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #20,077 of 21,171
V3 still $299 if you go through Slickdeals. I nabbed one, hopefully it complements my DT 1990 Pro.
https://slickdeals.net/f/11948051-hifiman-he-560-v3-planar-magnetic-headphones-300-free-shipping

EDIT: Did a bit more research and cancelled my orders, it seems the FR is similar to my DT 1990 Pro but much worse. Welp, been wanting to try planar magnetics for a while.

I havent listened to the 1990.. what's worse about the HE560 FR curve? It's lack of warmth in upper bass? Or slightly recessed mids?

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #20,079 of 21,171
From the research I did a reviewer said it has an analytical fr (so does the 1990) but it tends to be on the boring side and can sound a bit veiled.

It's a relatively neutral sound so people may consider it boring. I dont ... I prefer that over other signatures. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call these veiled. Many think they are bright like beyers.

The boring nature may come from how planar bass typically is, which is very linear and extended as opposed to a dynamic driver which usually has a hump giving you more impactful punchy bass that may sound more fun. Just speculation of course.

I love the he560 planar sound. But I love the Focal Elex too for an exciting dynamic. :)

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #20,080 of 21,171
From the research I did a reviewer said it has an analytical fr (so does the 1990) but it tends to be on the boring side and can sound a bit veiled.
I have to agree with @antdroid since you are the first that mentioned the HE560 being boring or veiled, many consider them bright and don't forget that the HE560 is not very efficient so an amp is usually required to get them to listening levels for most unless you listen at fairly low levels (under 80dB).

Aug 18, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #20,081 of 21,171

The research you did, and I am sure you search many different sources if your like myself, may not be looking for a neutral sound signature. I had owned the he-560 when it first came out for 2 years or so and they were some of the most comfortable and enjoyable headphones I had used or owned under 1000 dollars. Granted this is all subjective but HE-560 with a good pairing for source and amp is very fast, detailed, sound stage has somewhat of a ethereal quality to it, the bass though not overly pronounced is very tight and is some of the better bass I have heard done on an open back headphone, where as the mids are said to be recessed slight and the treble peaky... I know that for myself I didn't feel that way most likely due to the grill and ear pad mod it had at the time and not mention the smooth and powerful aspect of the audio gd amp I used with it. I am not saying that this headphone is definitely for you, no one can honestly say that since it's about preferences, perception, and gear pairing, but the HE-560 was never boring to me and I owned it for 2 years+. Not to mention I compared it too many ZMF planar's, Mad dogs, Audeze's, Senn's, and to Beyer's and with the exception of the ZMF Omni I prefered the he-560 with if not all at least most music. I ended up keeping the Omni's most because I could only keep one and they paired best with what I owned and I knew the HE-560 could be bought back at later date. Anywyay's for the long ramble but I hope you consider choice because if you paid 300 like many are paying for the HE-560 then you got away with theft. The HE-560 is worth 700+ if we were going on about sound quality, it is the past issues with build that make it worth less.

Aug 18, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #20,082 of 21,171
The research you did, and I am sure you search many different sources if your like myself, may not be looking for a neutral sound signature. I had owned the he-560 when it first came out for 2 years or so and they were some of the most comfortable and enjoyable headphones I had used or owned under 1000 dollars. Granted this is all subjective but HE-560 with a good pairing for source and amp is very fast, detailed, sound stage has somewhat of a ethereal quality to it, the bass though not overly pronounced is very tight and is some of the better bass I have heard done on an open back headphone, where as the mids are said to be recessed slight and the treble peaky... I know that for myself I didn't feel that way most likely due to the grill and ear pad mod it had at the time and not mention the smooth and powerful aspect of the audio gd amp I used with it. I am not saying that this headphone is definitely for you, no one can honestly say that since it's about preferences, perception, and gear pairing, but the HE-560 was never boring to me and I owned it for 2 years+. Not to mention I compared it too many ZMF planar's, Mad dogs, Audeze's, Senn's, and to Beyer's and with the exception of the ZMF Omni I prefered the he-560 with if not all at least most music. I ended up keeping the Omni's most because I could only keep one and they paired best with what I owned and I knew the HE-560 could be bought back at later date. Anywyay's for the long ramble but I hope you consider choice because if you paid 300 like many are paying for the HE-560 then you got away with theft. The HE-560 is worth 700+ if we were going on about sound quality, it is the past issues with build that make it worth less.
My main thing is I don't want an analytical fr. I already have my DT 1990 for that.

Aug 18, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #20,083 of 21,171
My main thing is I don't want an analytical fr. I already have my DT 1990 for that.

Have you decided on anotther choice yet, and I can understand that, basically I had both the ZMF Omni's and the He-560 and I was very happy was light, detailed, neutral and the other was a bit more warm, more sub bass, very well done midrange, a bit smoother treble presentation, and with a bit thicker note presentation. Very good companionship for if you want two planars. What is your price limit I will send you a message with some viable suggestions to check if you want

Aug 18, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #20,084 of 21,171
Have you decided on anotther choice yet, and I can understand that, basically I had both the ZMF Omni's and the He-560 and I was very happy was light, detailed, neutral and the other was a bit more warm, more sub bass, very well done midrange, a bit smoother treble presentation, and with a bit thicker note presentation. Very good companionship for if you want two planars. What is your price limit I will send you a message with some viable suggestions to check if you want
Not yet, $300 is probably my top dollar atm. Looking at the HE4XX currently, not interested in the M1060.

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #20,085 of 21,171
Not yet, $300 is probably my top dollar atm. Looking at the HE4XX currently, not interested in the M1060.

The he4xx wouldn't be much different in sound sig than HE560 or your DT1990. Its pretty much the 400i which is a less extended and less detailed 560.

The M1060 would be a diff signature with a darker sound like Audeze LCD series. You can get a Audeze EL8 open back for $300ish nowadays used.

Another option is one of the T50RP modded headphones like the TX0RP or Dekoni Blue or Talos.

I also highly recommend the iSine IEMs. They are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back