= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 18, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #19,741 of 21,171
It's been a while since I've used Headfi and the first time I've actually put something up for sale. So, I apologize for not realizing I couldn't post that here. Just wish someone had told me up front instead of just plain reporting it. I would have taken it down and posted elsewhere.
I didn't report it, but that's actually what you are supposed to do on forums instead of a back-and-forth with people eating up more forum bandwidth.

Mike

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #19,742 of 21,171
I love my HE-560. But beware these are fairly neutral headphones. (not 100% neutral, but like 85% flat). I listen to all sorts of music (FLAC / DSD / Tidal Lossless) and the HE-560 never let me down. You would want to invest in a High Current Amplifier. I use my ifi imicro BL in office, and Audiogd NFB-1 at home.

this is unbelievable - seems like people are getting two different versions of the HE-560. I have the original HE-560, and I prefer them over my LCD- X, TH-X00, HE-6. (Audiogd r2r DAC + Audiogd NFB 1 Amp). Maybe people don't like the He-560 because they aren't driving them properly? I don't know. I mean I don't have any scientific evidence to prove that once headphone is better than the other. Just going by what my ears tell me. :gs1000smile:

I have almost the exact same gear (HE-560, LCD-X, iFi Black Label, and Audio-gd 28.38) and have almost the exact same conclusion. I prefer the X and think it's more capable technically, but the two are close enough to warrant a comparison and I could certainly see someone preferring the 560s. Amp pairing is certainly an issue with a headphone like this, one that has a brighter tuning and excels in sub-bass.

I think people are just getting caught up in a newer-is-better mentality, along with dissatisfaction with HiFiMan's recent build issues which have resulted in inconsistency in the units. The 560 is an excellent headphone, but it is a bit bright and lacks a crowd-pleasing tuning. Those are the reasons there are such divergent opinions on it.

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #19,744 of 21,171
I got the Adorama version of HE560. Paired with Schiit YGG and Mjolnir. I don't think it is that good compare to other headphones I have, but at $300 purchasing price, I think it is a step above HD600 line.

thank you - yes something changed with the new version of the HE-560 (or at least it feels like it with all the comparisons people are making) . I own HD650, and HD660, and they don't even come close to the HE560. The HD650 actually sounds muddy, with uncontrolled bass driven with the hardware I listed earlier.

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #19,745 of 21,171
I have almost the exact same gear (HE-560, LCD-X, iFi Black Label, and Audio-gd 28.38) and have almost the exact same conclusion. I prefer the X and think it's more capable technically, but the two are close enough to warrant a comparison and I could certainly see someone preferring the 560s. Amp pairing is certainly an issue with a headphone like this, one that has a brighter tuning and excels in sub-bass.

I think people are just getting caught up in a newer-is-better mentality, along with dissatisfaction with HiFiMan's recent build issues which have resulted in inconsistency in the units. The 560 is an excellent headphone, but it is a bit bright and lacks a crowd-pleasing tuning. Those are the reasons there are such divergent opinions on it.

It reminds me of that one time, when I bought a BMW M4 and thought it was an OK car due to the fact I kept driving it on regular streets. When it was meant to be driven on a track.

This is a made up analogy - I don't own an M4, but you get the point LOL.

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #19,746 of 21,171
It's been a while since I've used Headfi and the first time I've actually put something up for sale. So, I apologize for not realizing I couldn't post that here. Just wish someone had told me up front instead of just plain reporting it. I would have taken it down and posted elsewhere.
Just be glad you weren't over on that other really super site. They'd be looking for your body parts :ksc75smile:

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #19,747 of 21,171
The HE-560 are one of my favorite pairs of headphones, paired with a Lyr 2, which has enough power for these low-sensitivity beasts. My listening is 99% classical music, and for that I much prefer them to the HD600, HD6XX, K7XX, DT880 and T1.2. I like them a little better than the Focal Elear especially for detail reproduction. They're superfast and clear, and just a joy to listen to, with all the bass extension I would want. The $299 price with the Sundara steel headband is a stupidly good deal. If I didn't already have two, I'd be buying.

Jul 18, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #19,751 of 21,171
this is unbelievable - seems like people are getting two different versions of the HE-560. I have the original HE-560, and I prefer them over my LCD- X, TH-X00, HE-6. (Audiogd r2r DAC + Audiogd NFB 1 Amp). Maybe people don't like the He-560 because they aren't driving them properly? I don't know. I mean I don't have any scientific evidence to prove that once headphone is better than the other. Just going by what my ears tell me. :gs1000smile:
As per my signature, I've got a similar setup, in fact I actually got a pair of LCD-X's yesterday. I absolutely loved my 560's for a while (comfort not withstanding), but I've simply grown to enjoy a different sound. I got mine for $700CAD and regret nothing. For $300USD they're an absolute steal, as it's only my Clear's and LCD-X that I prefer to them. If I didn't have such big ears that get sore from my 560's (I've tried many pads, but my ears fit in none of them), I probably never would have continued seeking other options.

Though not for me in the long run, I cant totally respect preferring them over many other cans.

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #19,752 of 21,171
Would a magni2 pair nicely with the 560s?

Jul 19, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #19,755 of 21,171
Well adorama has the new v2 he 560 starting for sale today and at 300 shipped. Originally these were not on my radar to pick up, but changed my mind.

I couldn't find them there for this price. Could you provide the link? Maybe I would buy another pair! for 300 it is absolute fantastic deal. The he560 has only 1 weak spot and it is serious one The headband!. Other than that nothing comes close to them at their price range even at 500. I have come to this conclusion listening to them side by side with He500, Elear, HD800, Audioquest NH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back