= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #18,286 of 21,175
Wich pads tames the high frequency a little?
The Focus A pads do... others have written about others over the last couple of weeks, right here on this thread.

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #18,288 of 21,175
Ori pads do not kill the bass, not the perforated variant at least. I'm listening with them right now and had the hm5's on earlier, no bass lost.

Between focus pads, hm5 and Ori, the Ori pads are the best in sound and comfort for me. As I've mentioned, my big ears fit in then and the sound is cleaner than the hm5. They're also easier to fit than the hm5's.

I've got basically no reason to look back at any other pads at this point. Ymmv etc. But I'm sorted now.

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #18,290 of 21,175
May I ask what pads and cable are you using and the effect in sound. Thanks.
I mentioned that the Focus A pads are my favorite after the Jerg pads. but you can't just buy the Jerg pads off of the shelf. So focus A it is, for me.
I tried cables, silver, silver plated copper and pure OCC copper, as well as hybrid silver/copper. Honestly I did not hear anything hugely different between any of those . At least nothing significant... or significant in the direction that I wanted to go.
This basically was to tame down the upper midrange and lower treble unevenness. So, I would not recommend buying cables to do any serious tuning. Some say that they make audible differences, and perhaps they do. But, at least to me, not the kind of difference required to significantly modify a headphone's basic sound signature enough to make it good, or bad or even enough difference to change my unhappiness with overall SIGNATURE. Now I buy cables for quality of connectors, length, ease of management, maybe even "BLING" just not significant tuning.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #18,292 of 21,175
I admire you for having the discipline to use a specific set of headphones for a specific type of music. I don't have the patience. If I am sitting and really listening.. getting lost in the music..
a rare but delightful time for me, I can't deal with changing headphones. It definitely kills the mood.
I look for something as close to universal as possible.

It so happened that I purchased two headphones which ended up complementing each other in that way. But usually once I start listening I tend to stick with one genre and therefore one headphone. That's why I wouldn't own more than two main headphones. I'd just never use them.

Why do you think getting lost in the music is a rare occurrence for you? Thankfully, I find it fairly easy. However, it's true that I often have a hard time becoming absorbed in the music when I'm discovering new classical music, which can be challenging. Headphone discomfort can also prevent me from getting absorbed in the music.

like you I have gotten too much conflicting data to have a clear cut direction on pad rolling.
Rather than simply rolling with no real direction, I have just stood pat. I am going to be motivated to try the Ori perforated Sheepskin pads when they get here.

I'm standing pat for now, too. I'm just not finding any straightforward info on pads for the 560. I'd like to know what you think of the Ori pads. The perforations supposedly weaken the bass, but according to ZMF that is more the case with closed cans than with open ones like the 560.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #18,293 of 21,175
It so happened that I purchased two headphones which ended up complementing each other in that way. But usually once I start listening I tend to stick with one genre and therefore one headphone. That's why I wouldn't own more than two main headphones. I'd just never use them.

Getting lost in the music is a rare occurrence for you? Thankfully, I find it fairly easy. However, it's true that I often have a hard time becoming absorbed in the music when I'm discovering new classical music, which can be challenging. Headphone discomfort can also prevent me from getting absorbed in the music.

I'm standing pat for now, too. I'm just not finding any straightforward info on pads for the 560. I'd like to know what you think of the Ori pads. The perforations supposedly weaken the bass, but according to ZMF that is more the case with closed cans than with open ones like the 560.
As I stated clearly above, the perforated Ori pads don't diminish the bass. Back to back with the hm5 pads, there's no noticeable loss in bass. If anything it extends just as well and is a tad tighter. I didn't notice much difference between focus pads and the hm5's when I first got there 560's.

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #18,295 of 21,175
Coming back to the HE560 for the second time and wondering what portable amps are a good match these days. Last time I had these I tried the ALO continental V2 which I didn’t think was a good match and replaced it with the CEntrance Hifi M8 which worked much better but the battery life kinda sucked.
I’ve been looking at the mojo and ifi black label primarily.

I have an Oppo HA2 but am moving away from using my iPhone as a source since I got an A&K Jr. and can now play hi-res files. I also have a Cayin C5. Alternately are there any $500’ish or less Daps that can power these well?

PS... my portability desires are for working at home, not for commuting or the like. Desktop solutions aren’t practical for me.

Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #18,296 of 21,175
I have a pair modded hy Hifi-er michauczok incoming. I know it's a bit of a gamble when the whole headphone has been basically redone, but the reviews of his work, and the confirmation from the current owner, gives me hope. Plus they look badass.

10021501.png

I am going to try it with a few amps, and may just break down and finally buy a Mojo as well.

No real clue what I'm in for, but should know within the next few days.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the info, etc.

I may come back with some questions, but in the meantime, thanks. :)

Nov 10, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #18,298 of 21,175
I have a pair modded hy Hifi-er michauczok incoming. I know it's a bit of a gamble when the whole headphone has been basically redone, but the reviews of his work, and the confirmation from the current owner, gives me hope. Plus they look badass.

10021501.png

I am going to try it with a few amps, and may just break down and finally buy a Mojo as well.

No real clue what I'm in for, but should know within the next few days.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the info, etc.

I may come back with some questions, but in the meantime, thanks. :)
Those really do look amazing. That grill and the wood(?) around the outer cup. :ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #18,299 of 21,175
Nov 10, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #18,300 of 21,175
@TimeSnow , those look "bad ass" and I hope they sound as good as they look

You and me too!

I'm a composer and producer and musician so I HOPE to be able to use them for work... that's the goal at least! I'll have to learn them, like all new monitors, but... well... fingers crossed...

They're also coming with a balanced cable... so I may pursue trying to use them like that at some point.

10025829.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back