= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 18, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #17,986 of 21,175
Well I got from a friend of mine today a very nice balanced cable for my 560's (he made it), I've been using the original stock cable which is a good cable. I use balanced on all my other hp's so this was a very nice treat for me. It made a nice difference that I noticed right a way with the low end more impactful and the overall sq is more spacious. If you've got the dac & amp to run balanced imo it's well worth it, I got to say these 560's are truly outstanding hp's..enjoy

Any fast impression about the HE560 compared to the Focal Elear?

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #17,987 of 21,175
Hi all , I have just come across these on amazon UK and US going at a very good price, I broke my he400i and was considering replacing with these ...my only concern is the build related issues and was wondering how good hifiman customer service is if i get a problem?
I have read quite a few problems, pads stitching drivers rattling etc and if hifi man is not good at customer service I would just replace my he400i ...thanks for any input

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #17,988 of 21,175
Hi all , I have just come across these on amazon UK and US going at a very good price, I broke my he400i and was considering replacing with these ...my only concern is the build related issues and was wondering how good hifiman customer service is if i get a problem?
I have read quite a few problems, pads stitching drivers rattling etc and if hifi man is not good at customer service I would just replace my he400i ...thanks for any input
Looking at your profile I didn't see an amp that would properly drive the HE560 so I would suggest fixing your HE400i unless you are planning to get a decent amp that pairs well with the HE560. Notice I say nothing about power (watts) as many like to say you need X amount of watts to drive the HE560 but to me its finding a amp that has good synergy with the HE560.

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #17,989 of 21,175
Looking at your profile I didn't see an amp that would properly drive the HE560 so I would suggest fixing your HE400i unless you are planning to get a decent amp that pairs well with the HE560. Notice I say nothing about power (watts) as many like to say you need X amount of watts to drive the HE560 but to me its finding a amp that has good synergy with the HE560.

Sorry my profile is totally not up to date, I use mojo at the minute and broke my he400i...i am looking at buying either, jotunheim, valhalla2 or lyr to power and I have already had a lot of discussion about amping including with schiit themselves...my concern is about hifimans customer service.

Although your thoughts on the above amps appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #17,990 of 21,175

I have spoke to 2 guys who are running the 400i with a valhalla2 and lyr and say because it's not your typical tube amp as in not very warm that they run them pretty decently....my first pic was jot but been told it runs a bit bright for them..
Any thoughts appreciated.

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #17,991 of 21,175
I have spoke to 2 guys who are running the 400i with a valhalla2 and lyr and say because it's not your typical tube amp as in not very warm that they run them pretty decently....my first pic was jot but been told it runs a bit bright for them..
Any thoughts appreciated.
I use either a Project Ember, Lyr2 or the headphone output of a UD-301 to drive my HE560 and HE400i but both are the older SMC jack models, both have the grill mod. I would agree that the Jot is not an amp I would use with the HE560 as I also felt that they were a touch on the bright side. The Mojo is a good DAC and has similar specs as the Hugo but for some reason the Hugo has always sounded a bit fuller and smoother to me with both the HE560 and HD800.

The QC of Hifiman is not the best from reading the threads for the HE400i and HE560 but I haven't had any problems with all 4 of my Hifiman headphones (2-HE560, HE400i, HE400) and my ear pads still look brand new after 3 years. Maybe the older SMC jack version had better QC back then.

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #17,992 of 21,175
I use either a Project Ember, Lyr2 or the headphone output of a UD-301 to drive my HE560 and HE400i but both are the older SMC jack models, both have the grill mod. I would agree that the Jot is not an amp I would use with the HE560 as I also felt that they were a touch on the bright side. The Mojo is a good DAC and has similar specs as the Hugo but for some reason the Hugo has always sounded a bit fuller and smoother to me with both the HE560 and HD800.

The QC of Hifiman is not the best from reading the threads for the HE400i and HE560 but I haven't had any problems with all 4 of my Hifiman headphones (2-HE560, HE400i, HE400) and my ear pads still look brand new after 3 years. Maybe the older SMC jack version had better QC back then.

Your the second person who has recommended lyr2 to me and I'm glad for your impressions of the jot too as it reaffirms what I'm hearing about the jot.
I think I may go for the lyr2 and he 560 or replace 400i combo...im still leaning to replace 400i as I was happy with those until broken beyond repair in a move.
I would love to buy the 560s but i have read a lot more problems with them over 400i and just worried about issues when it comes to hifiman themselves.
Anyway thanks for your imput/advice , much appreciated.

( just updated my profile a bit)

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #17,993 of 21,175
I've had the Lyr, Mjolnir 1&2, but at the end of the day. This amp is what I preferred after a lot of A/B comparisons.
Emotiva Audio
https://emotiva.com/product/a-100/

You can put the jumpers in for single ended at the headphone jack. Or buy a cable with banana plugs and tap into the speaker terminals. I'm currently tapped.

Your the second person who has recommended lyr2 to me and I'm glad for your impressions of the jot too as it reaffirms what I'm hearing about the jot.
I think I may go for the lyr2 and he 560 or replace 400i combo...im still leaning to replace 400i as I was happy with those until broken beyond repair in a move.
I would love to buy the 560s but i have read a lot more problems with them over 400i and just worried about issues when it comes to hifiman themselves.
Anyway thanks for your imput/advice , much appreciated.

( just updated my profile a bit)

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #17,994 of 21,175

I've had the Lyr, Mjolnir 1&2, but at the end of the day. This amp is what I preferred after a lot of A/B comparisons.
Emotiva Audio
https://emotiva.com/product/a-100/

You can put the jumpers in for single ended at the headphone jack. Or buy a cable with banana plugs and tap into the speaker terminals. I'm currently tapped.

Thanks for your imput too....someone has just reminded me of an amp dac that I was looking at a few weeks ago and looks very interesting indeed a new thread has been started, I might hold off for a bit a see how it unfolds ..https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-impression-thread.858188/

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #17,995 of 21,175
I think my HE-560 is in trouble. If I move my head too quickly or knock the right driver the sound cuts out. Moving cable while still connected does nothing. Strange thing is if I unplug the cable from the headphone and reconnect, it works fine. Until I knock the driver again. Cable is fine (checked multiple cables and not loose).

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #17,996 of 21,175
I think my HE-560 is in trouble. If I move my head too quickly or knock the right driver the sound cuts out. Moving cable while still connected does nothing. Strange thing is if I unplug the cable from the headphone and reconnect, it works fine. Until I knock the driver again. Cable is fine (checked multiple cables and not loose).
Try switching the left and right connectors to see if it really is a driver or cable issue

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #17,997 of 21,175
Try switching the left and right connectors to see if it really is a driver or cable issue

Tried this. It's definitely the driver.

Aug 19, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #17,998 of 21,175

The Hifiman customer service is relative good IMO. They acknowledge that certain batch of their product has some quality issues and they are willing to fix it. Just like my pair of HE1000. My pair of HE1000's ear cup fell off due to broken screws and bad headband design in the version 1. Even my pair is out of warranty period, I only paid $40 including shipping and the new headband and metal frame for my HE1000.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #17,999 of 21,175
Tried this. It's definitely the driver.
If they are still under warranty then I would send them back but if out of warranty you might want to remove the grill and check the connections to the jack of the right driver to see if the soldered connection is solid if you feel comfortable with doing so.

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #18,000 of 21,175
I can grab these quite cheap in the UK at the moment, wondering if my Audeze Deckard has the guts for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back