= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 13, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #17,746 of 21,171
Yah, just looking at that link man that low price concerns me. Almost certainly you would expect these are B stock, or refurbished units. There has to be a reason for such a drastic price difference, but I could be wrong of course. I would want to call that vendor and ask exactly what you will be getting and if they are guaranteed to be original factory fresh units. I agree with doctorjazz, if they are an unauthorized dealer and the likely lack of manufacturer warranty that goes along with that, the extended warranty from Walmart is almost a must have. Just be careful. If Walmart only assumes the coverage beginning in the second year and you have an issue in the first year without coverage, I suspect you have to wait. I could be wrong, but I have sold and bought extended warranties on electronics on many occasions and typically it is the second year that kicks in with them as it is assumed the first year is with the manufacturer so clarify this with Walmart first.

So, I got a confirmation over from the seller that it is indeed new and comes with warranty. Tried to get in touch with HiFi Man, yet to get a response. The Walmart plan does state that warranty would start after the first year, which means in the off chance that the device stops working after 30 days (30 days return is there), then I'll have to wait after 1 year to send for repair.
By the way, I received the headphones. They are the newer version (2.5 mm connectors); however, I am finding that the box is different from the ones which I have seen (the ones with metal in the front). I'm attaching the image of the cover along with the cover version which I have seen in reviews. Do let me know, if the newer versions are coming with this cover or not:
1. The cover seen in review:
hifiman-he-560-review-8.jpg

2. The cover which I've got:
Iqe4iTl

Imgur link below in case, the image is not coming:
http://imgur.com/a/21gy0

Can anyone check and let me know, if the cover, which I have received is original or not.

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #17,748 of 21,171
Well mate, that is an awesome price for the 560, unbeatable I'm sure. I can't imagine how little money profit for the seller is left over. How much was the shipping? Anyway, great deal for sure. When I had bought my 560 it was the older box with the SMC connectors. I bought a 400i and it came in the same type of packaging you have so it is current. Enjoy!

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #17,749 of 21,171
Well mate, that is an awesome price for the 560, unbeatable I'm sure. I can't imagine how little money profit for the seller is left over. How much was the shipping? Anyway, great deal for sure. When I had bought my 560 it was the older box with the SMC connectors. I bought a 400i and it came in the same type of packaging you have so it is current. Enjoy!

Thanks. The shipping was free. It still feels too inexpensive to be true. I'll likely opt for 3 year care plan, just to be safe

I received the cover exactly like in picture#1, but that was 3 years ago or so.

It seems that in picture#2 there's a new type of box
like here:
http://www.hifiman.com/products/detail/167

You're right. The opened box pic is similar and now I've got confirmation :)

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #17,751 of 21,171
Thanks. The shipping was free. It still feels too inexpensive to be true. I'll likely opt for 3 year care plan, just to be safe

You're right. The opened box pic is similar and now I've got confirmation :)

So you really ended up getting those for $400 out the door? The seller was "BopoTech" and legit?

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #17,752 of 21,171
That's quite a deal! Think I paid close to twice that. Enjoy, congrats!

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #17,753 of 21,171
After reading the thread (skimmed through a few hundred pages), I'm getting to understand that in general, HE-560 requires a lot of power, around1 W or higher at 50 ohm (higher the better). Although, there seem to be exceptions, wherein even with lower power, some amps exhibit great synergy like Chord Hugo/WooAudio WA2 (forgot the model name). I'm having a Geekout V2+, which from what I'm understanding might not fare that well, even in high gain mode + balanced out (although have heard it mentioned, in a couple of places to have great synergy with HE-560, but not sure about this)

I'm hearing that Schiit Lyr does rather well with HE-560 on stock tubes (if the stock tubes are 6N1P, and not 6BZ7, which is what Schiit offers with Lyr 2?) . What I'd like to know:
1. How does it function in the solid state mode? I'm not planning to change the tubes at the moment, so if this works really well on solid state mode, it might be good enough. Or is the Lyr 1 good with HE-560, only with tubes?
2. Those who are having Lyr 1, apart from the fact that it doesn't work well with efficient headphones (has a humming sound) and may/may not have relay switch, is there any other issue, that I should be aware?
3. I am not planning to tube roll. How does it fare on stock tubes (if the stock tubes are not 6N1P)?

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #17,754 of 21,171
The Lyr 1 or 2 , works well with the 560's. Tubes just add flavor to the sound. The Lyr 1 has more tube rolling options if you decide to roll. The WA2 , I believe is an otl amp, and planars don't play well with otl. They're more for cans like HD800.

Edit: Never had any humming issues with the Lyr.
After reading the thread (skimmed through a few hundred pages), I'm getting to understand that in general, HE-560 requires a lot of power, around1 W or higher at 50 ohm (higher the better). Although, there seem to be exceptions, wherein even with lower power, some amps exhibit great synergy like Chord Hugo/WooAudio WA2 (forgot the model name). I'm having a Geekout V2+, which from what I'm understanding might not fare that well, even in high gain mode + balanced out (although have heard it mentioned, in a couple of places to have great synergy with HE-560, but not sure about this)

I'm hearing that Schiit Lyr does rather well with HE-560 on stock tubes (if the stock tubes are 6N1P, and not 6BZ7, which is what Schiit offers with Lyr 2?) . What I'd like to know:
1. How does it function in the solid state mode? I'm not planning to change the tubes at the moment, so if this works really well on solid state mode, it might be good enough. Or is the Lyr 1 good with HE-560, only with tubes?
2. Those who are having Lyr 1, apart from the fact that it doesn't work well with efficient headphones (has a humming sound) and may/may not have relay switch, is there any other issue, that I should be aware?
3. I am not planning to tube roll. How does it fare on stock tubes (if the stock tubes are not 6N1P)?

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #17,755 of 21,171

IIRC the stock tubes of my Lyr2 are 6BZ& but you can change them to almost any Telefunken, Amperex, Siemens, or Voskhod and these will work well. I've heard a friends Lyr2 with the LISST tubes and really didn't care for the sound, a bit on the bright side with almost all headphones I tried with them.

I agree that the Hugo is a good match for the HE560, other SS amps that I liked with the HE560, Liquid Carbon, HA-501, and G-109. Its not the power output of the amp that you need to consider but the synergy between the amp and headphone since even the headphone output of my UD-301 (100mW) sounds good to me and most can't tell the slight differences between it and Lyr2. If you are not planning to roll tubes then I would suggest a SS amp, rolling tubes is just a way to fine tune the sound, which can sometimes be done with EQ for free.

To me the HE560 is a little more amp picky than most headphones, almost like the HD800 when trying to pair an amp with it.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #17,756 of 21,171
The HE-560 blew my mind when I first heard them. Trouble is I just got HE-X which blew my mind again. Now the HE-560 sounds like it's missing something I never new it was missing.

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #17,757 of 21,171
I felt the same way about the HEX(v1) the first few weeks. After almost 2 months with both , I kept the 560's. Just something about them I preferred over time. Especially running off speaker taps. They seem better balanced, and distortion free to my ears.
The HE-560 blew my mind when I first heard them. Trouble is I just got HE-X which blew my mind again. Now the HE-560 sounds like it's missing something I never new it was missing.

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #17,758 of 21,171
I felt the same way about the HEX(v1) the first few weeks. After almost 2 months with both , I kept the 560's. Just something about them I preferred over time. Especially running off speaker taps. They seem better balanced, and distortion free to my ears.

I have the V2 but will probably be comapring the 2 quite a lot over the next week or 2. Just received the Quesytle CMA 600i today. It has 2 x heaphone jacks so perfect for A/B. I suspect I'll keep both anyway.

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #17,759 of 21,171
The Lyr 1 or 2 , works well with the 560's. Tubes just add flavor to the sound. The Lyr 1 has more tube rolling options if you decide to roll. The WA2 , I believe is an otl amp, and planars don't play well with otl. They're more for cans like HD800.

Edit: Never had any humming issues with the Lyr.

Lyr 1/2 without the tubes, you mean (or just with the stock tubes)? If I get the Lyr1, I wouldn't have the budget to do tube rolling for a while. So, would prefer to buy only if it has a good synergy with HE-560 either with the stock tube or the solid state mode. I think the WooAudio model name was probably different, not able to recollect it. (Had some ~0.5 W @50 ohm, i think)

IIRC the stock tubes of my Lyr2 are 6BZ& but you can change them to almost any Telefunken, Amperex, Siemens, or Voskhod and these will work well. I've heard a friends Lyr2 with the LISST tubes and really didn't care for the sound, a bit on the bright side with almost all headphones I tried with them.

I agree that the Hugo is a good match for the HE560, other SS amps that I liked with the HE560, Liquid Carbon, HA-501, and G-109. Its not the power output of the amp that you need to consider but the synergy between the amp and headphone since even the headphone output of my UD-301 (100mW) sounds good to me and most can't tell the slight differences between it and Lyr2. If you are not planning to roll tubes then I would suggest a SS amp, rolling tubes is just a way to fine tune the sound, which can sometimes be done with EQ for free.

To me the HE560 is a little more amp picky than most headphones, almost like the HD800 when trying to pair an amp with it.

Great, thanks for confirming (LISST being bright, and not that good a pairing with HE-560, which themselves, are considered to be on the brighter side). Unfortunately, my budget is limited at the moment (unless i get a good used deal for the ones you have suggested). In that case, I should probably wait, and stick with Geekout V2+ with balanced cables. Lyr 1 has some cons anyway, from my perspective (it being considered bad with efficient headphones, hence won't work with my Grado PS500 or any future purchase). I also don't want to get into tube rolling, and would prefer EQ in most cases (although it may not be as good, as per some observations)

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #17,760 of 21,171
I have the Geek Out SE (and GO 1k v1, which I don't use). Didn't care for it with the 560 (at first, I thought it was the 560). I have had good results with the Liquid Carbon, the MicroZOTL2 (which is 1w, I understand), and the RSA HR2. I'm sure there are other amps that work well. And, since getting the HE-1000, the 560 gets very little head time (though I keep it around for comparison for reviews of cans in the same price range). They alternated for head time with the Koss ESP-950 before I got the HEK (should sell the Koss one of these days).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back