= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,696 of 21,179
  Lol, for now I am waiting for the 560, Jade and HE6 successor before I go into summit-fi/hi-end territory. I wonder whether it'll be the same when they come out, something new to wait for and look forward to? Gawd, the consumerism is pretty strong in this hobby, better just get 009 and be done with it 
rolleyes.gif

Also being enamored by the 009s, I'm secretly hoping that the Jade successor will equal or even possibly surpass the 009s SQ for a cheaper price
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #1,697 of 21,179
Good extension doesn't mean bright. Generally spikes make a headphone bright but can also be the tonality of the headphone.

May 1, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #1,698 of 21,179
Good extension doesn't mean bright. Generally spikes make a headphone bright but can also be the tonality of the headphone.

I don't go by graphs to decide what I hear, but I general find that if an area above, say, 6K, is "up above" the bass line, then it is usually bright at anything other than lower volume levels.

May 1, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #1,699 of 21,179

I don't go by graphs to decide what I hear, but I general find that if an area above, say, 6K, is "up above" the bass line, then it is usually bright at anything other than lower volume levels.

And yet this hypothetical headphone with a raised 6kHz+ could still have terrible treble extension, but rolling off too early. I know what you are trying to say, that more often than not, a headphone with some semblance of measurably impressive treble extension also has treble elevation; but it's a correlation, not causation.

May 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #1,700 of 21,179
I think you can bring up the upper mid and treble if you compensate by solidifying the mid and lower bass...it will warm up the top and keep it from actually sounding bright. But again, each listener has their own sensitivity and preferences in certain areas of the FR.

May 1, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #1,701 of 21,179
  I think you can bring up the upper mid and treble if you compensate by solidifying the mid and lower bass...it will warm up the top and keep it from actually sounding bright. But again, each listener has their own sensitivity and preferences in certain areas of the FR.

That has nothing to do with the treble extension discussion, but sure. 
tongue.gif

May 1, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,703 of 21,179
Oh the irony...

May 1, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #1,704 of 21,179

And no offence meant but while I absolutely appreciate your impressions, they're the impressions of a single individual who may or may not have had the stock production version at his disposal at this point.  Some of the methods used to describe things may well be very illustrative, such as the FQ-plots with your 'opinion' plot overlaid on them, but they're also very relative as you're comparing an objective measurement with a necessarily flawed objectivisation of a subjective impression (I won't bother with a list of problems associated with that but if someone insists, just whistle...).  Apples and oranges.

If you think some of my illustrative impressions are leading people astray, yeah you may be right, I kinda regret posting the FR drawing thing about 30 minutes after I posted it, but it was too late and a couple of people already started misinterpreting it.

Personally, I thought jerg's posting of his "subjective FR curve" was the most brilliant thing I've seen on Head-Fi in the year or so I've been lurking (with various levels of intensity.) Changed the dynamic of the conversation. Freq response obviously isn't everything there is to HQ sound, but for the part of the conversation revolving around the 'phones freq response, it translated words that could be variously interpreted into a picture that was clear. You could still debate it, but somehow the subsequent discussion was better anchored, IMO.

Would have been a little better had it been labeled as "this is what they SOUND LIKE TO ME", or something to that effect. 

Looking forward to a ton of impressions of the HE-560 to hit soon. Two apparently impressive and competitive major new products arriving almost at the same time. It's a good time to be a fan of headphones. (Guard your wallet.)

May 1, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,705 of 21,179
Case in point about the upper range emphasis not meaning the headphone will sound bright: HE400. The treble is considerably emphasized, yet the sound of the headphone is warm. The treble is definitely hot though.

May 1, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #1,706 of 21,179
Case in point about the upper range emphasis not meaning the headphone will sound bright: HE400. The treble is considerably emphasized, yet the sound of the headphone is warm. The treble is definitely hot though.

Yep. Perhaps I would use the word "tizzy" instead of hot. The HE400 lacks a bit of energy in its upper midrange and lower treble, while having some spikes in the 9kHz-14kHz range.

May 2, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #1,707 of 21,179
Not sure if I'm officially the first person to receive these, but here are some unboxing pictures!

Now it's time for some serious listening...impressions soon!

May 2, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #1,710 of 21,179
WOW DAT BOX. Never owned a HiFiMAN before but has their packaging always been that nice??

stjj89, is that second box the traveling case that comes with the preorder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back