= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 24, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #16,531 of 21,171

We seem to have similar tastes. I am finding some trumpet parts/solos to be a little too bright on the 560s. Happened to me listening to Mingus a few weeks ago, as well as some of Miles' stuff (solo, with Trane, etc). 

Do you leave your EQ flat, or tweak it at all?

I'm not too sensitive to treble so haven't encountered anything too fatiguing. I've experimented with EQ on my 560 but everything I try and compare to stock, I end up preferring no EQ. I think they respond quite well to EQ, I just like the signature as is.

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #16,532 of 21,171
  I'm not too sensitive to treble so haven't encountered anything too fatiguing. I've experimented with EQ on my 560 but everything I try and compare to stock, I end up preferring no EQ. I think they respond quite well to EQ, I just like the signature as is.

I bought mine used & grill modded. I wonder if the extra-openness is doing it? Dunno. Anyway, it's fodder for experimenting myself, right? :) 

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #16,533 of 21,171

I bought mine used & grill modded. I wonder if the extra-openness is doing it? Dunno. Anyway, it's fodder for experimenting myself, right? :) 

Mine was used but stock, that could be the case though. I'm a bit less sensitive to treble than most here though so it also could just being hearing differences. A couple of years playing in a loud band (don't worry I use ear plugs regularly now!) has probably reduced my treble sensitivity a bit.

Jun 24, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #16,534 of 21,171

Its possible but for me the grill mod got rid of some ringing at certain frequencies and gave the sound a little bit more air, sound stage.

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #16,535 of 21,171
Hi guys.... I recently broke one of the forks on my 560's. Just got my replacement and having a little trouble getting the tabs to go into the earcups. Should I just squeeze and force them in? I googled it and searched here with no results.Also emailed Hifiman but probably won't hear from them till Monday.

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #16,536 of 21,171
  Hi guys.... I recently broke one of the forks on my 560's. Just got my replacement and having a little trouble getting the tabs to go into the earcups. Should I just squeeze and force them in? I googled it and searched here with no results.Also emailed Hifiman but probably won't hear from them till Monday.

Thanks!

I just checked my 560 and 400i, the fit of the tab to the ear cup are quite snug.  If you still have the old broken forks I would compare the size of the tabs, if the new is larger then I would gently sand it down to the size of the broken one.  You could also try rubbing some silicone lube on the new tabs

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #16,537 of 21,171
The way I do it is I feed 2 clips in anywhere and rotate the cup until the two tabs click into the appropriate cutouts. Then, I angle the two tabs to click in their spots. Be careful, angle them too much and you can crack the ring.

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #16,539 of 21,171
If anyone is looking for a used HE-560, this auction popped up in my saved search:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFIMAN-HE-560-Full-Size-Planar-Magnetic-Headphones-/231988255317?hash=item360393da55:g:7KIAAOSwOVpXap2V

Currently at $380 and ending in a day. Looks like a great deal if the price stays that low. If I had the budget I'd be all over it, but I just ordered an Omni a few weeks ago. My loss is your gain. :) Just promise to post impressions so I can live vicariously through you.

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #16,540 of 21,171
If anyone is looking for a used HE-560, this auction popped up in my saved search:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFIMAN-HE-560-Full-Size-Planar-Magnetic-Headphones-/231988255317?hash=item360393da55:g:7KIAAOSwOVpXap2V

Currently at $380 and ending in a day. Looks like a great deal if the price stays that low. If I had the budget I'd be all over it, but I just ordered an Omni a few weeks ago. My loss is your gain. :) Just promise to post impressions so I can live vicariously through you.

(I'm thinking of trading my 560 for an Omni, don't feel too bad...)

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #16,541 of 21,171
I just checked my 560 and 400i, the fit of the tab to the ear cup are quite snug.  If you still have the old broken forks I would compare the size of the tabs, if the new is larger then I would gently sand it down to the size of the broken one.  You could also try rubbing some silicone lube on the new tabs

David
Thanks I will try that!

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #16,542 of 21,171
David
Thanks I will try that!

Hope that works out for you
darthsmile.gif

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #16,543 of 21,171

i noticed there is a space between headphone cup and earpad , few mm but still ...
could that effect inner acoustics of the headphone cup ? i mean sound leaks out  thru that space ...  or am i being worried for nothing here ??

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #16,544 of 21,171

i noticed there is a space between headphone cup and earpad , few mm but still ...
could that effect inner acoustics of the headphone cup ? i mean sound leaks out  thru that space ...  or am i being worried for nothing here ??

The space will affect the sound a little, if anything you will lose a little bass if the space is there when you have the headphones on your head.  The was a mod in a different thread where they used some silicon glue to make a better seal, I tried it on my HE-400 and it made a small difference in the bass quantity, but its a little messy and if you change pads you will have to do some cleaning of the silicon glue (its not to hard to remove).

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #16,545 of 21,171

@Soundsgoodtome has a modded HE-560 that sounds amazing, and one of his mods is black tape around this part of the headphone. I think you can find pictures and instructions in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/738912/he-560-enhancement-mod-v1-5

He mentioned that you can also glue it instead, but the tape mod is nice because it's reversible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back