= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 10, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #15,511 of 21,179

Yeah needing a new Amp is probably going to make life difficult, though I have been lusting after a Gustard H10 for a long time. 
I did read a review of the HE-560 that someone said the HE-560 was nice with the crack, said it was nice and smooth, but I am not sure if that would get the job done. 
I am a little torn. I keep wanting something that is a step up from the T1's (for reasons I can't explain other than 'cause' even though I can't think of a specific issues the T1's have :) 

Why not sell off the crack and get H10 with the fund?

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #15,512 of 21,179

I think the BH Crack is for the T1 which is a really good pairing.  But if the T1 is going then it might make sense to sell the BH Crack and get a H-10 and HE-560.  Wish I bought the H-10 when I first tried it last year but having the Lyr2 and Ember made it sort of a redundant purchase.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #15,513 of 21,179
Yeah needing a new Amp is probably going to make life difficult, though I have been lusting after a Gustard H10 for a long time. 
I did read a review of the HE-560 that someone said the HE-560 was nice with the crack, said it was nice and smooth, but I am not sure if that would get the job done. 
I am a little torn. I keep wanting something that is a step up from the T1's (for reasons I can't explain other than 'cause' even though I can't think of a specific issues the T1's have :) 
If tubes are what you're looking for in a sound, the Project Ember could power both Hifiman and Beyer.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #15,514 of 21,179
  I think the BH Crack is for the T1 which is a really good pairing.  But if the T1 is going then it might make sense to sell the BH Crack and get a H-10 and HE-560.  Wish I bought the H-10 when I first tried it last year but having the Lyr2 and Ember made it sort of a redundant purchase.

I had the Lyr2 and the H10 at home - kept the H10 back then. But they were so close to each other - I would have been happy with either one of them.

The crack with it's 120 Ohm output impedance is really only useful for headphones with really high impedance. For me the crack only is used for the T90, HD650. Everything else sounds mostly a bit "off" on the crack. While it shines with these high impedance cans.

This amp has a narrow focus, LOL.

Cheers.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #15,515 of 21,179
@Koolpep, I believe it might have been you that convinced me that the H10 would be too similar to the Lyr2
biggrin.gif
, my wallet thanks you. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #15,516 of 21,179

Because I built the crack from scratch, sent the base to a guy in the USA to make especially for me, and it's a little tribute to my now passed grandfather who taught me to solder, and gave me encouragement.

I really love it with my T1 and HD650. I have been told by more than one H10 owner, than the Speedball + Crack is better than the H10.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #15,517 of 21,179

Because I built the crack from scratch, sent the base to a guy in the USA to make especially for me, and it's a little tribute to my now passed grandfather who taught me to solder, and gave me encouragement.

I really love it with my T1 and HD650. I have been told by more than one H10 owner, than the Speedball + Crack is better than the H10.

Having had the H10 I can agree on that. The Crack & Speedball is still with me. the H10 is gone now, with a Liquid Carbon and a Burson Conductor in its place.

The H10 is amazing in its own right and with some Burson magic added really is maybe all one needs. But the tube magic of the Crack for the T1/T90 HD650 and HD800's of the world, is just too good once heard....

Cheers.

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #15,518 of 21,179

Having had the H10 I can agree on that. The Crack & Speedball is still with me. the H10 is gone now, with a Liquid Carbon and a Burson Conductor in its place.

The H10 is amazing in its own right and with some Burson magic added really is maybe all one needs. But the tube magic of the Crack for the T1/T90 HD650 and HD800's of the world, is just too good once heard....

Cheers.

The major upside of a SS Amp for me, would be ability to transport it. The Crack amp isn't really portable (and I don't mean small).

I'd really love a HD800, but I think they would be in the same ball park as the T1's right? Similar sounding, similar price? Similar strengths and weaknesses (Sorry a little OT).

I don't see the liquid carbon anywhere? 

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #15,519 of 21,179

Better as in pairing with T1&HD650, but I've seen nowhere that crack works well with planars. If you can afford the HD800, you can surely go with HE-560&H10. Add a Burson V5s to it and you have a fantastic pairing.

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #15,520 of 21,179

The major upside of a SS Amp for me, would be ability to transport it. The Crack amp isn't really portable (and I don't mean small).

I'd really love a HD800, but I think they would be in the same ball park as the T1's right? Similar sounding, similar price? Similar strengths and weaknesses (Sorry a little OT).

It likes to hide...

...it's so small. I't s bit messy on my desk at the moment, but what the heck, here it is:

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #15,522 of 21,179
  Better as in pairing with T1&HD650, but I've seen nowhere that crack works well with planars. If you can afford the HD800, you can surely go with HE-560&H10. Add a Burson V5s to it and you have a fantastic pairing.

I agree, the HE560 and the H10 are a beautiful pairing. Or the Lyr2 with the right tubes. I will try the HE-560 tonight with the mojo - let's see. 

At the moment at home I use the HE560 with Burson Conductor as DAC and my old Sansui as Amp (via HE Adapter speaker taps) - love what the HE560 can do....

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #15,523 of 21,179
  Wow considering the price they were selling for, I would have loved one! Seems like they are no longer selling it? The other Cavellis are way outside of my budget sadly. 

Haha, yes, same here. I was lucky that a fellow head-fier let go of his (number 499) for a good price and I could snap it up. Since they only produced 500. But let's see, not so sure if that's the end of the line, they might make them again. It really nice with the HE-560 as well - amping synergy - and the LC can also be used with my IEMs, it's a very well build amp.

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #15,524 of 21,179

I would keep the BH Crack, its a fond reminder of family, if it were me I would never part with it.

As for T1 and HD-800, not in the same ball park but same sport, to me the HD-800 will work with more genres of music than T1 but it will have to be well recorded.  The T1 has a signature that is more "fun" than the HD-800 so it come down to preference.  I will admit that my HD-800 gets more head time than T1, both are great on BH Crack and to get better you need to go way up to Liquid Glass or Balancing Act level.

Liquid carbon was limited edition and had to be pre-ordered IIRC.

If looking for portability then look for a used Liquid Carbon or Chord Hugo.  If looking for a small form factor amp that packs up then Project Ember would be my suggestion, it will drive T1, HD-800, HD-650, HE560 no problem

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #15,525 of 21,179
  Or if anyone can take a picture of their newer version (with the 2.5mm connector) HE560 driver under the grill, we'd have the answer.

I shall do that this evening. Is it easy to do?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back