HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #9,361 of 20,386
  If you have to have tube then yes, Lyr.  If you don't, another excellent stop gap option would be Emotiva.
Personally for me, I don't even look at my Emotiva as a stop gap at all.  To me and my opinion, it's that good (even after having the WA22).  Your standards/ears might vary.

I will try the Emotiva.   
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #9,362 of 20,386
Did you know the way you wear the He-500's makes a difference to how they sound.

In most cases keeping them centered is key, however, try wearing them with the front of the pads nearer to front of your ears and you may find the low end of the sound becomes bloated, and mids recessed. However, switching them the other way around, with the rear of the pads almost touching the rear of your ears gives an opposite effect, mids are more forward/tight and treble is increased.  A centimetre can make a huge difference! 

I know this is damn obvious, but some people may not realise how something so simple can make a huge difference to how the soundstage is presented. 

One day may sound different to the next if you slump them on your noggin without any thought. 

I prefer them with the rear of the pads almost touching the rear of my ears, treble is slightly enhanced, but that's relative. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #9,365 of 20,386
  Open the SineGen program, "Power" button = start playing a sinewave tone. The adjustable vertical scale to the left is frequency (ranging from 20 ~ 20,000 Hz) of the tone. Level -dB adjustment area is for tone loudness and L/R tone balance.

Just toggle "Power", and then start sweeping from 20 Hz up to 20k Hz while listening for the balance matching.

So to be sure, what you are saying is that I use the sine program to see if there is driver imbalance just by listening? B/c I was wondering if there was any way to reproduce the exact same sound on each ear and measure the volume differences or something of the sort.

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #9,367 of 20,386

So to be sure, what you are saying is that I use the sine program to see if there is driver imbalance just by listening? B/c I was wondering if there was any way to reproduce the exact same sound on each ear and measure the volume differences or something of the sort.

Keep in mind that the imbalance could be coming from your ears and not the headphone. A useful way to determine this is using a SPL meter with pink noise to see the difference between the cans, if any. Next simple way is to just play music on a single speaker in nearfield (not headphone) and center your head, then cover one ear with your hand or something and alternating for anomalies. None are perfect, but can help you determine if it's your ear canals etc.

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #9,368 of 20,386

Just do what I said and report back what you found. We can go from there.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #9,373 of 20,386
Got my HE-500 yesterday... starting to get excited...

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #9,374 of 20,386
  11-month anniversary of my HE500 ownership today......still excited.

If you are excited after 11 months then I have no choice but staying excited.  
biggrin.gif

Just got my HE500 back after 2 week trading with a friend's HD800, definitely very excited just like when I first got it.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #9,375 of 20,386
Every time I have upgrade-itis, I only need to listen to the HE-500 to think to myself that it performs pretty darn well, and what more would I really need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back