HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 22, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #9,391 of 20,386
  Anyone have an experience with the Burson Soloist and HE-500? I am considering to get it. :)

How do you like your music ? Do you want to immerse yourself in it or do you want an "energetic" experience ? I have the Soloist and to me its laid back and relaxed. I have to turn the volume up consistently higher than  say, the Lyr, which I prefer. My 2c, obviously.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #9,392 of 20,386
How is it compared to the Lyr?
To be honest I want an "energetic" experience, I listen to more electronica then I listen to for example classics. Although I do listen to most music.

I have the WA6-SE currently, I looked at the Lyr but I am unsure. The WA6-SE drives the HE-500 very well, I am going to test it with my Fostex TH-600 which are coming today. But eventually, in a few weeks to a month I will get a new amp, just not sure what to get. Soloist and Lyr is what I've had my eyes on so far.

I am not selling the WA6-SE because I am unhappy, I love it, but I want to trade around and try new products and hear the differences between amplifiers. I don't want to have just one amp and not get anything else, I want the full experience of trying out new products :p

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #9,393 of 20,386
Persoanlly, neither the lyr or soloist offer anything more than what the wa6-se offers. I recommend saving for an upgrade instead, whether it be a TOTL amp or a good source

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #9,395 of 20,386
  BobJS,
Did you happen to have HD800 before or listen to one?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thx.

Yes, I own it ...... what info are you looking for?  It's without question technically the best phone I own.  I tend to listen to the HE-500 and T1 more frequently and save the HD800 for "special aural occasions".

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #9,396 of 20,386
It's good to see so much enthusiasm for a relatively old product in light of some of the newer releases by Audeze, Fostex, Mr Speakers etc. Only a year or so ago people were complaining that Hifiman were releasing too many headphones. Now the HE-500 and HE-6 seem like well established classics.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #9,397 of 20,386
Persoanlly, neither the lyr or soloist offer anything more than what the wa6-se offers. I recommend saving for an upgrade instead, whether it be a TOTL amp or a good source

Thanks! I'll probably just wait a bit then :)

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #9,398 of 20,386
  It'd be either massively imbalanced, or no imbalance at all.

Interesting. There would be no "middle" ground so to speak in terms of just one side being louder than the other? Because it seems to me that what I perceived to be driver failure occurred very recently as did my the time when I discovered my DAC problem. Anywho, I'll see what happens when I get my replacement DAC.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #9,399 of 20,386

Interesting. There would be no "middle" ground so to speak in terms of just one side being louder than the other? Because it seems to me that what I perceived to be driver failure occurred very recently as did my the time when I discovered my DAC problem. Anywho, I'll see what happens when I get my replacement DAC.

Plug your cans straight into your PC stereo audio jack and see if there is still imbalance, that's the easiest way to confirm or deny faults with the DAC.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #9,400 of 20,386

Have you tried turning your headphones around? Left to right, right to left. Does the channel imbalance follow the headphones or your ears?

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #9,402 of 20,386
  Anyone have an experience with the Burson Soloist and HE-500? I am considering to get it. :)

If you are experiencing a spending itch and already have WA6SE which is a very good amp overall and even for your HE500, then why spend so much?  Get the Emotiva Mini-X and get some awesome speakers with the left over $ and rock the house.  The Mini-X will drive the heck out of your HE500 with great SQ.  I would never go the Soloist route unless you have a specific reason to do so.  Just my input.

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #9,405 of 20,386
Yep, it's a great match, but I would stick with the WA6SE. Doubt whether the Soloist would be much of an upgrade over the Woo. More a sidegrade.

side grade. the soloist is a very nice amp, and so is the woo. one is tube, one is solid state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back