HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #9,333 of 20,386
Well, this is some exciting news. Looks like I'll have the rare chance to review the Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass, I wonder how the HE-500's will sound on it. 

beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #9,334 of 20,386
  I can tell how much you love the HE500 by counting the F's in your post.  
beerchug.gif

The WA6SE is already one of the best tube amps that could drive the HE500 well.  IMO, it could be better with HE500 than my WA22 if I don't run the WA22 balanced.  Solid state will give a few more options but very expensive for really not much improvements.  I do love the HE500 on a liquid gold amp but at $6400 it makes no sense sonically or financially for me unless i win the lotto.

the GSX MK2 was a nice upgrade from the WA6-SE which already sounded very good with the HE-500. of course, the GSX MK2 is imo also better than the liquid gold which is grossly overpriced. now the best i've heard so far on the HE-500 is still the Allnic HPA-5000, but the GSX Mk2 comes close 
biggrin.gif

Haha, oh yes man, I do love them.

I see you got the Q 701, I tried them, sound-wise they were great but unfortunately that headband didn't work for me, It felt like someone was lobotomizing me after using them for a couple of hours. A shame really, I could have probably tried to replace the headband but I didn't bother, I got them cheap, brand new, sold them for the same price I paid for them. But yeah, HE-500 forever :D Hehe.

Oh, and here you go. A little picture for you :D

nice pic!!

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #9,335 of 20,386
the GSX MK2 was a nice upgrade from the WA6-SE which already sounded very good with the HE-500. of course, the GSX MK2 is imo also better than the liquid gold which is grossly overpriced. now the best i've heard so far on the HE-500 is still the Allnic HPA-5000, but the GSX Mk2 comes close :D

nice pic!!

I just looked up the Allnic after reading that. It's got to be the most expensive headphone amp I've come across yet.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #9,336 of 20,386
I just looked up the Allnic after reading that. It's got to be the most expensive headphone amp I've come across yet.

Nah..This is the most expensive heaphone amp i know of, 16.000usd worth of amping :wink:

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa234mono/

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #9,339 of 20,386

yeah, its a $5500 amp. not many reviews out there though, i don't think many people have it, mostly price + the fact that its pretty new and no1's really heard of it yet. 

its the best i've ever heard with he-500 though, they sounded so romantic and tubey, alot of emotion in the sound, very euphonic and transparent as well. it would of fooled me into thinking the he-500 cost more like 2-3k$.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #9,340 of 20,386

yeah, its a $5500 amp. not many reviews out there though, i don't think many people have it, mostly price + the fact that its pretty new and no1's really heard of it yet. 

its the best i've ever heard with he-500 though, they sounded so romantic and tubey, alot of emotion in the sound, very euphonic and transparent as well. it would of fooled me into thinking the he-500 cost more like 2-3k$.

Hey hey, the HE500 is indeed worth that much right now for me.  :)  Kidding aside, this is a proof that HE500 scales way up with equipment/amp/DAC...
After 2 weeks straight with HD800 off the WA22 logging 4, 5 hours every day, I realized why the H800 has been considered "flagship" by so many and also why the HE500 can really hang with the big boys/girls.  Also, I finally found a tube combo that sounds just like what you described to my ears.  No 422A yet though.  These people on ebay are a little crazy!

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #9,341 of 20,386
I encourage everyone here (even if you're into trance) to check out Cryptex's Isolated Incidents in FLAC, specifically the song Ambient Sounds. Best mixed electronic music I've heard and the HE-500 pulls every last bit of Cryptex's mixes, with room to spare.

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #9,342 of 20,386

I'm curious about the sound you're describing, but I think my next step up will be the HE-6 running off a speaker amp. Did you buy the Emotiva?

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #9,344 of 20,386
Just bought a HE-500 from a member on the forums so I'll be joining the clique very soon. Can't wait to hear them and compare them with my HE-400. Will be using them with Burson Soloist SL and Schiit Bifrost Uber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back