HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #9,346 of 20,386
Congrats Textfeud!! 

I will be very eager to hear your thoughts on the Soloist SL/Bifrost/HE-500 pairing. I am looking for something solid state and this is on my radar, along with the regular Soloist. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #9,347 of 20,386
I'm curious about the sound you're describing, but I think my next step up will be the HE-6 running off a speaker amp. Did you buy the Emotiva?

i heard the emotiva and it sounded great but a little lacking in resolution, not sure if putting it with my dac would of helped. anyway its more than capable but u might be better off just getting he-500.

anyways umm i ended up buying a forte 1a speaker amp (its the same as the threshold t50 basically, so musicman59 recommended it to me). it should arrive tomorrow or friday..

if i don't like it, i'll simply sell it back since i do have to pay for some major car repairs 

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #9,348 of 20,386
Thanks guys! I will put my impressions on here when I have them. Unfortunately I can't compare the Burson Soloist SL vs a other Amp (except for the Aune T1 and Fiio E10 which are different leagues). Wish I could listen to them with the Lyr to compare
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #9,349 of 20,386
I encourage everyone here (even if you're into trance) to check out Cryptex's Isolated Incidents in FLAC, specifically the song Ambient Sounds. Best mixed electronic music I've heard and the HE-500 pulls every last bit of Cryptex's mixes, with room to spare.

It was bouncing around in my head like a ping pong ball lol :D

Great track! 

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #9,350 of 20,386

i heard the emotiva and it sounded great but a little lacking in resolution, not sure if putting it with my dac would of helped. anyway its more than capable but u might be better off just getting he-500.

anyways umm i ended up buying a forte 1a speaker amp (its the same as the threshold t50 basically, so musicman59 recommended it to me). it should arrive tomorrow or friday..

if i don't like it, i'll simply sell it back since i do have to pay for some major car repairs 

DG, I found that DAC does make a huge difference in both resolution and smoothness for the Emotiva.  I had the little Fiio E17 DAC before.  When I went to the TEAC DSD 501 DAC, the SQ was beyond in all terms.  The new/hot idea is to put a tube amp/preamp in front of the Emotiva (double amping) has gotten very positive feedback as well.  I haven't tried putting my WA22 => Emotiva just yet but I will.  If I like what I hear, I will probably send the WA22 back to Jack to put in a preamp out if possible.

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #9,351 of 20,386
^ I think the WA2 is the preamp one. Purists would say preamps don't use output transformers. It only adds unnecessary color to the signal path. If you can get them to mod your WA22 to bypass the transformer for the preamp then that would be cool.

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #9,352 of 20,386
  DG, I found that DAC does make a huge difference in both resolution and smoothness for the Emotiva.  I had the little Fiio E17 DAC before.  When I went to the TEAC DSD 501 DAC, the SQ was beyond in all terms.  The new/hot idea is to put a tube amp/preamp in front of the Emotiva (double amping) has gotten very positive feedback as well.  I haven't tried putting my WA22 => Emotiva just yet but I will.  If I like what I hear, I will probably send the WA22 back to Jack to put in a preamp out if possible.

I think you will like what you hear. I have a tube amp in the chain (that has a line out) to the Emotiva and it sounds fantastic as compared to DAC--Emotiva. The tubes add some warm coloration and low end.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #9,353 of 20,386
Hello all;
Received my HE-500's today and plugged them into what I have at the moment- Asgard/Bifrost and the big thing to hit me is the bass, the rest... hmmm. I guess I need to let her burn in for a few days and try again. Maybe the 1w out of the Asgard is lacking as well. While I squirrel away my spare shekels for a WA6 SE, or Taboo, or F3 I may need to acquire a Lyr as a stop gap measure? I may be just getting old and the hearing is fading quicker than I want to admit.
(sigh)

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #9,354 of 20,386
  Hello all;
Received my HE-500's today and plugged them into what I have at the moment- Asgard/Bifrost and the big thing to hit me is the bass, the rest... hmmm. I guess I need to let her burn in for a few days and try again. Maybe the 1w out of the Asgard is lacking as well. While I squirrel away my spare shekels for a WA6 SE, or Taboo, or F3 I may need to acquire a Lyr as a stop gap measure? I may be just getting old and the hearing is fading quicker than I want to admit.
(sigh)

If you have to have tube then yes, Lyr.  If you don't, another excellent stop gap option would be Emotiva.
Personally for me, I don't even look at my Emotiva as a stop gap at all.  To me and my opinion, it's that good (even after having the WA22).  Your standards/ears might vary.

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #9,355 of 20,386
Has anyone here ever experienced driver failure on the HE-500? I could swear that my right side sounds louder than the left and I did some left right tests and it definitely seems like the left side is a bit quieter. Is it even possible for one driver to be only "semi" failing and just producing a bit less sound than the other side?

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #9,356 of 20,386
  Has anyone here ever experienced driver failure on the HE-500? I could swear that my right side sounds louder than the left and I did some left right tests and it definitely seems like the left side is a bit quieter. Is it even possible for one driver to be only "semi" failing and just producing a bit less sound than the other side?

How did you test to determine driver difference?  Audio test track? or just general music?

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #9,358 of 20,386
Nov 21, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #9,359 of 20,386
  Use

http://www.tucows.com/preview/502787

Sinewave sweeps for definitive (and precise) pinpointing of driver imbalances.

Note that <2 dB imbalances are negligible unless they spread over a wide section of the frequency range.

Well, I downloaded and installed the program. Unfortunately, that's as far as I go in terms of knowing what to do. How would I go about checking for driver imbalances? By the way, you are a life saver.

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #9,360 of 20,386

Well, I downloaded and installed the program. Unfortunately, that's as far as I go in terms of knowing what to do. How would I go about checking for driver imbalances? By the way, you are a life saver.

Open the SineGen program, "Power" button = start playing a sinewave tone. The adjustable vertical scale to the left is frequency (ranging from 20 ~ 20,000 Hz) of the tone. Level -dB adjustment area is for tone loudness and L/R tone balance.

Just toggle "Power", and then start sweeping from 20 Hz up to 20k Hz while listening for the balance matching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back