HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 16, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #9,301 of 20,386
  I have read what you said just fine and still wanna say what I said.  Often, I find "attentive listening" a stressful experience and not enjoyable.  It becomes "analyzing" the music and quality of your HPs rather than purely enjoying what the music has to offer.  For me, there's a balance between SQ and what should be more than enough to just enjoy the music.  We seem to lose that balance here a bit quite often.  Just my opinion.  

Here, enjoy this musical analysis. Not poking fun, but just showing it can indeed be joyful for someone :)

Science rocks!

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #9,302 of 20,386
  Here, enjoy this musical analysis. Not poking fun, but just showing it can indeed be joyful for someone :)

Science rocks!

lmao brunk, I've gone through that.  We need a reset!  
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #9,303 of 20,386
  lmao brunk, I've gone through that.  We need a reset!  
tongue.gif

I certainly understand. I have undergone a couple resets myself. The secret of happiness is contentment. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #9,304 of 20,386
  I certainly understand. I have undergone a couple resets myself. The secret of happiness is contentment. 
beerchug.gif

Every time I got a new piece of equipment, I enter the stressful state of analytical listening for like 2 weeks and then it will go away. 
L3000.gif

This time, it was double bad with WA22 followed right after with HD800 + several new tubes.  I am almost over it and will emerge alive.  
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #9,305 of 20,386
  Every time I got a new piece of equipment, I enter the stressful state of analytical listening for like 2 weeks and then it will go away. 
L3000.gif

This time, it was double bad with WA22 followed right after with HD800 + several new tubes.  I am almost over it and will emerge alive.  
tongue.gif

Lol that is quite the bout! Get well soon my friend 
wink_face.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #9,307 of 20,386
Hey guys, I'm new to the audiophile game and have been thinking of upgrading from the sr80is that I bought 3 months ago. In terms of the HE500 would the ODAC/02 combo be sufficient enough to run these or would I be looking at investing more? Thanks

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #9,308 of 20,386

Science rocks!

Love it!

I've gone through periods with every headphone I've owned where I feel like it all just sounds horrible. Then I stop listening for a few days and come back and all of a sudden I'm enjoying it again. I don't why exactly, but I know our state of mind, how we're feeling, stress levels - it all plays into things.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #9,309 of 20,386
Hey guys, I'm new to the audiophile game and have been thinking of upgrading from the sr80is that I bought 3 months ago. In terms of the HE500 would the ODAC/02 combo be sufficient enough to run these or would I be looking at investing more? Thanks

The HE-500 is wonderful, you can't go wrong.  And you don't need a fancy amp to enjoy them (that can always come later).

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #9,310 of 20,386
Love it!

I've gone through periods with every headphone I've owned where I feel like it all just sounds horrible. Then I stop listening for a few days and come back and all of a sudden I'm enjoying it again. I don't why exactly, but I know our state of mind, how we're feeling, stress levels - it all plays into things.

I've felt like that all too often and ended up selling some good headphones without giving them a proper chance, but it happens less with the HE-500. They rarely disappoint me.

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #9,311 of 20,386

The HE-500 is wonderful, you can't go wrong.  And you don't need a fancy amp to enjoy them (that can always come later).

+1 100%.  I enjoyed the HE500 just fine out of my Fiio e17.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #9,312 of 20,386
I enjoyed the he400 with my x-can more than he500 through e17 back then.. And he500 more through my x-can than he400 through the x-can. Fairly brief time comparing though, affected by new toy syndrome etc, etc.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #9,313 of 20,386
I've been comparing the HE-500 and LCD-3 back and forth and can't decide which I like better.  It reminds me that there's no such thing as a perfect headphone (and yes I have tried electrostatics).

The HE-500 has great soundstaging, better than the LCD-3 by a long shot.  It has that sort of midrange transparency and depth that just seems to go on forever.  On the other hand, the LCD-3 has more pleasing tonality- instruments sound smoother, less fatiguing and causes you to relax more into the song.  This is true even for techno, metal, etc...  Neither of them are especially comfortable, all things being relative.

I beginning to realize, as many of the head-fi veterans already have, that the best approach is not to chase the one perfect headphone but instead have a variety of headphones each with their strengths and weaknesses.  Enjoy them for how they engage you in your music rather than focusing on their shortcomings.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #9,314 of 20,386
  I've been comparing the HE-500 and LCD-3 back and forth and can't decide which I like better.  It reminds me that there's no such thing as a perfect headphone (and yes I have tried electrostatics).

The HE-500 has great soundstaging, better than the LCD-3 by a long shot.  It has that sort of midrange transparency and depth that just seems to go on forever.  On the other hand, the LCD-3 has more pleasing tonality- instruments sound smoother, less fatiguing and causes you to relax more into the song.  This is true even for techno, metal, etc...  Neither of them are especially comfortable, all things being relative.

I beginning to realize, as many of the head-fi veterans already have, that the best approach is not to chase the one perfect headphone but instead have a variety of headphones each with their strengths and weaknesses.  Enjoy them for how they engage you in your music rather than focusing on their shortcomings.

The LCD-2's or the LCD-3's...? Because if LCD-3's, wow on the comparison. That's really cool.

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #9,315 of 20,386
  I did buy a pair of Alpha Pads for my HE-500 and it's a very nice improvement over the stock pleather and velour. Much more comfortable and a more natural soundstage. It's like having the bass impact from the pleathers but the soundstage of the velours.
Installation was a bit of a pain but possible.

I heard the Jerg pads are a better match for the HE-500 and I might try to do it one day but I think I will stay with the Alpha Pads. They're just amazingly comfortable and it also matches with the leather headband.

Is there supposed to be a certain way to install them or something? I bought some alpha pads that are on their way so yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back