HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 6, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #7,531 of 20,386
Sep 6, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #7,533 of 20,386
Rookie leaving again!?! Lolz, you'll be back
evil_smiley.gif

As a matter of fact, I am interested after all. Do you know how your 337 compared to an unmodded one with good tubes?

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #7,534 of 20,386
Sep 6, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #7,535 of 20,386
  Don't make his piss boil over lol. I doubt patrick (?) is trolling, wth are you trying to make some kind of point I don't understand?

Sorry my apologies I didn't mean Patrick, I meant the other guy who said "You should just keep your 337". I thought it was kind of like a personal attack when he didn't even have it anymore

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #7,538 of 20,386
Rookie leaving again!?! Lolz, you'll be back :evil:

As a matter of fact, I am interested after all. Do you know how your 337 compared to an unmodded one with good tubes?

If ur really interested:
Check the darkvoice 339 thread and start with page 128 and further..u will get ur answer there...
Ps..while mine was modded.. the base soundquality and how it drives the he500 is the same. Mine only improved everything...

Just take a few minutes to read the last 4 pages of that thread with an open mind and then decide for urself..they are very honest there and direct in their posts...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/502306/dark-voice-339/1905

For ur info...

A darkvoice 339 doesnt exist..its darkvoice 337 or lafigaro 339...the latter being the one being upgraded regularely with better internals.

Have fun reading

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #7,539 of 20,386
Sorry to call you out on this but I checked the DV website as an amp upgrade is next on my buy list and it doesn't specify into what impedance it outputs 2W. So it doesn't necessarily mean it has 2 watts of usable power, I'm not saying it isn't powerful but it's probably a bit of deceptive marketing on their part.

Now you've got the evil 337 back, any chance you'll be attending the October meet? I for one would love to hear it!

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #7,540 of 20,386

Sorry my apologies I didn't mean Patrick, I meant the other guy who said "You should just keep your 337". I thought it was kind of like a personal attack when he didn't even have it anymore

I told Rookie that.  We all know how much he loved his 337.  Personally, If I loved a piece of equipment that much, I would never take a chance with another amp that's completely unknown, regardless of company's reputation, unless I can try it out first.  And no it was not a personal attack.  Grow some skin, people. 
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #7,541 of 20,386
The Bakoon HDA-5210mk3 arrived today. It's the most transparent amp I've ever heard to be sure. I thought the Taboo was really transparent but I think the bakoon has a step up on it in the high and low ends in terms of distortion. I didn't think there was any distortion on the lows with the Taboo, but apparently I was wrong. Both amps are extremely transparent and likely my DAC is bottlenecking both. The bakoon is at least as good as the taboo from my initial listening impressions. I'd say it's likely that I prefer the Bakoon but I'll wait before I come to a conclusion. It takes me around a month to really settle into a new piece of gear.

Edit: Oh it packs a real punch by the way. Whoever said this cannot drive planars is insane.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #7,542 of 20,386
Llloyd, great to hear.  My taboo just came this morning too.  So far, I am impressed with both build and sound quality.  At this point, I could safely and surely say that yes, it's better than my Emotiva but the Emotiva still has a very "lively" sound signature in comparison to the taboo which is butterly smooth, transparent and so relaxing to listen.  If this gets better once the system settles down further, I will be quite happy.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #7,543 of 20,386
  Llloyd, great to hear.  My taboo just came this morning too.  So far, I am impressed with both build and sound quality.  At this point, I could safely and surely say that yes, it's better than my Emotiva but the Emotiva still has a very "lively" sound signature in comparison to the taboo which is butterly smooth, transparent and so relaxing to listen.  If this gets better once the system settles down further, I will be quite happy.

I imagine the taboo 3 has an improved sound, or so Frank said. The Bakoon is sharper to be sure, and I definitely notice more sibilance, but I think some of the fatigue might be from a volume issue as I've realized I can't really go past 20% on the low gain setting lol. I can see why people think this is a great amp for the HE-6.

I will probably swap some tubes around in my DAC to see what sonic differences I get, I needed a very sharp, sterile sounding tube due to the warm nature of the taboo and the naturally warm nature of the Havana, so I think it could be clashing with the sound of the Bakoon amp.  The smooth but ultra detailed sound of the taboo is something to be desired for sure.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #7,544 of 20,386
Ok I think I've had my HE-500s long enough to make an honest impression. Coming from the Q701s, these suckers pack a punch. I'm really loving the bass. I think they play electronica and rock music extremely well. Comparing directly with the Q701s, the sound stage is slightly reduced and overall sound separation or distinction is slightly reduced. To me the Q701s, were airy, but very clear, with subtle bass. The main reason I bought the Q701s was for gaming. The HE-500s produce a much fuller richer sound. The HE-500s are more forgiving than the Q701s. The Q701s are more analytical where can you hear the smallest details. I am driving them both off the ODAC/O2. 

I thought the O2 amp might be limiting the HE-500s, so I bough the Lyr with the Amperex Orange Globe tubes to see if I could give some proper power to these cans. Honestly, I am not impressed. Maybe, I just don't like the sound of tubes over SS. I feel like the O2 produced a cleaner sound. I could easily hear distinctions between different sounds. The base and mids were tight and impactful. The Lyr just seemed to smooth over everything. It still sounded great, but I did not prefer it to the O2. I'm going to sell the Lyr and see if I can get a better SS amp. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #7,545 of 20,386
  Ok I think I've had my HE-500s long enough to make an honest impression. Coming from the Q701s, these suckers pack a punch. I'm really loving the bass. I think they play electronica and rock music extremely well. Comparing directly with the Q701s, the sound stage is slightly reduced and overall sound separation or distinction is slightly reduced. To me the Q701s, were airy, but very clear, with subtle bass. The main reason I bought the Q701s was for gaming. The HE-500s produce a much fuller richer sound. The HE-500s are more forgiving than the Q701s. The Q701s are more analytical where can you hear the smallest details. I am driving them both off the ODAC/O2. 

I thought the O2 amp might be limiting the HE-500s, so I bough the Lyr with the Amperex Orange Globe tubes to see if I could give some proper power to these cans. Honestly, I am not impressed. Maybe, I just don't like the sound of tubes over SS. I feel like the O2 produced a cleaner sound. I could easily hear distinctions between different sounds. The base and mids were tight and impactful. The Lyr just seemed to smooth over everything. It still sounded great, but I did not prefer it to the O2. I'm going to sell the Lyr and see if I can get a better SS amp. 

get a better DAC and try again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back