HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 14, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #6,212 of 20,386
Quote:
PS3 optical out -> DAC -> Amp -> HE-500. I am streaming from my computer to the ps3 via foobar plugin. Works very good, even converts the music to a file format the ps3 can read on the fly. Amazing stuff. I can even get sound through the tv speakers and headphones at the same time...

Now I just need a solution for having my amp beside me or controlling the volume by other means. Also, I need a solution to get coaxial output from my computer so I can have input from my computer and ps3 at the same time (flicking a switch on the DAC). I am planning to have my Stax setup at the computer (critical listening), HE-500 at the ps3 for movies, games and music.

Great setup! Get a USB-SPDIF converter for the PC and an integrated amplifier with remote for HE-500
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #6,213 of 20,386
Quote:
Here's my temporary comfort rig:

PS3 optical out -> DAC -> Amp -> HE-500. I am streaming from my computer to the ps3 via foobar plugin. Works very good, even converts the music to a file format the ps3 can read on the fly. Amazing stuff. I can even get sound through the tv speakers and headphones at the same time...

Now I just need a solution for having my amp beside me or controlling the volume by other means. Also, I need a solution to get coaxial output from my computer so I can have input from my computer and ps3 at the same time (flicking a switch on the DAC). I am planning to have my Stax setup at the computer (critical listening), HE-500 at the ps3 for movies, games and music.

i like it!!!

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #6,214 of 20,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great setup! Get a USB-SPDIF converter for the PC and an integrated amplifier with remote for HE-500
smily_headphones1.gif

That is indeed a very good idea! I am also thinking about getting a sound card, but I've only got a PCI slot free...

Actually the chair isn't that comfy.

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #6,216 of 20,386
Hey guys, I'm looking towards getting this perhaps at the end of the year or during the first quarter of next year. My question is what is perhaps the recommended setup (dac + amp) for this that won't burn my wallet? I won't say cheapest but perhaps affordable set up that would make it sound decent. I heard HE500 is sort of power hungry and would need a good set up for it to shine the most.

I mostly have portable amps from Fiio and Ibasso and obviously that won't help at all. So I'd like to hear your recommendation.

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #6,217 of 20,386
Quote:
Quote:
That is indeed a very good idea! I am also thinking about getting a sound card, but I've only got a PCI slot free...

Xonar D1 is PCI and supports 24/192 and Dolby Headphone.

Hasn't got coax out, though 
size]

Hey guys, I'm looking towards getting this perhaps at the end of the year or during the first quarter of next year. My question is what is perhaps the recommended setup (dac + amp) for this that won't burn my wallet? I won't say cheapest but perhaps affordable set up that would make it sound decent. I heard HE500 is sort of power hungry and would need a good set up for it to shine the most.

I mostly have portable amps from Fiio and Ibasso and obviously that won't help at all. So I'd like to hear your recommendation.

Magni/Modi or some Audio GD maybe.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #6,218 of 20,386
Quote:

What"s your budget and are you willing to go used?

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #6,219 of 20,386
I am also skeptical about the whole break-in idea.  Even with my recent experience with the HE500, I am still not sure if there's indeed a break-in period.  I did notice positive changes after 100 or so hours but at the same time I can't ignore other changing factors such as my ear adapting to the HE500, amp switch during the same period (to Emotiva in my case).  On the other hand, looking at the break-in theory from a pure technical view point, I also think that it could be true.  Any materials that are dynamically changed/moved could take some time to settle into its optimal state within its operating parameters and environment.  For HPs, IMO, the diaphragm is most likely subjected to this behavior.  Whether we can hear/detect the possibly minute differences between the initial state (pre break-in) and the later is the key point.

Before i bought mine he500 i had the chance to compare them with others client cans that have been so kind and bring them to this audio shop. There is more open sound and more details in every sound and the bass gets lower after some period of burn in. I dont know how long he was burnin them because he just left tha cans in the audio shop. So there is definetly improvement after some burn in process. This was side by side comparison so no doubth here.

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #6,220 of 20,386
Before i bought mine he500 i had the chance to compare them with others client cans that have been so kind and bring them to this audio shop. There is more open sound and more details in every sound and the bass gets lower after some period of burn in. I dont know how long he was burnin them because he just left tha cans in the audio shop. So there is definetly improvement after some burn in process. This was side by side comparison so no doubth here.

I will even put more fire on this matter...my 5998 tubes were improving in sound until recently..i guess they now have 100 hours use...my new toxic cables only have 30 hours on tlhem i guess now..so i am going to listen carefully if the sound will improve in certain areas..my first toxic cable did improve over time until around 60 hours mark..especially in more open sound..treble got clearer..bass stayed same though..the soundstage improved a bit also..just a bit..now my tubes are burned in and the sound is much clearer and soundstage wider i am curious how the sound will improve the next 30-40 hours or so. :rolleyes:

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #6,221 of 20,386
Arhhhhg!

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #6,224 of 20,386
Quote:

Start out with your portable amps.  IMO, The HE500 sounds actually quite decent from phones, tablets and portable amps.  I ran mine on E17 for a while, then E9K, then Emotiva.  While there was improvement at each amp upgrade, I am still very happy with using the Fiio E17 when I am on the go.  Heck, some nights when I am lazy and in bed, I just plug the HE500 directly into my samsung tablet,  optimal ? of course not.  Good enough to enjoy the music?  For me, absolutely yes.  IMO, it's good to know when to stop analyzing and just enjoy the music overall. 

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #6,225 of 20,386
Quote:
Start out with your portable amps.  IMO, The HE500 sounds actually quite decent from phones, tablets and portable amps.  I ran mine on E17 for a while, then E9K, then Emotiva.  While there was improvement at each amp upgrade, I am still very happy with using the Fiio E17 when I am on the go.  Heck, some nights when I am lazy and in bed, I just plug the HE500 directly into my samsung tablet,  optimal ? of course not.  Good enough to enjoy the music?  For me, absolutely yes.  IMO, it's good to know when to stop analyzing and just enjoy the music overall. 

I used to have the same opinion, but I no longer think so. While HE-500 may be good enough to enjoy straight out of a weak portable player, after comparing them unamped out of my Clip with ER4P or RE-400 IEMs out of the same Clip, the IEMs sound way better to my ears - no contest. Even HD650 or DT880 600 Ohm are not as handicapped by a lack of proper amplification as HE-500. HE-500 totally loses control out of very weak sources and sounds very muddy, seriously lacking bass definition, soundstage and dynamics. For unamped use out of weak sources like a Clip, one will be much better off buying an inexpensive IEM like RE-400 IMO. You absolutely need at least an inexpensive portable amp (I have Fiio E11) or a good quality, reasonably powerful DAP like HM-601 to make HE-500 at least competent with the aforementioned or similar, much cheaper IEMs or portable cans out of the same source. It is only when I move up to my Essence STX that I begin to notice HE-500's clear superiority over the cheaper headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back