HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 12, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #6,196 of 20,374
Quote:
I'd love to see a manufacturer put say 300 hours on ever pair of cans that they sell and sit back and watch everyone talk about the improvements with burn in.

I am also skeptical about the whole break-in idea.  Even with my recent experience with the HE500, I am still not sure if there's indeed a break-in period.  I did notice positive changes after 100 or so hours but at the same time I can't ignore other changing factors such as my ear adapting to the HE500, amp switch during the same period (to Emotiva in my case).  On the other hand, looking at the break-in theory from a pure technical view point, I also think that it could be true.  Any materials that are dynamically changed/moved could take some time to settle into its optimal state within its operating parameters and environment.  For HPs, IMO, the diaphragm is most likely subjected to this behavior.  Whether we can hear/detect the possibly minute differences between the initial state (pre break-in) and the later is the key point.

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #6,198 of 20,374
Quote:
Did anyone ever hear of or experience a headphone that got WORSE with burn in?

Why should it always get better?

I believe that's called 'driver failure' 
wink.gif
  The idea is that the material of the driver 'settles' after an extended period, and it's also said to apply to other electrical components.  I think a majority of what people experience with burn-in is their ear adjusting to a new signature or a sonic change, which isn't always immediate, and less to do with the hardware itself.  The hardware is a more tangible explanation than it technically being in the listener's head.  There are some dynamic driver materials that have been reported to express more dramatic changes than others, but in the case of planar and electrostatic technology it's agreed to be almost entirely non-existent.  Still on the fence about the whole thing, but I can say that I noticed a change with my GR07, be it physical or mental...either way, they sound better to me now.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #6,199 of 20,374
I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for some cables for the he-500? I'm beginning to really get annoyed of the stock silver cable and might start shopping around for a new cable. (just hopefully not too expensive).

Was planning to sell the He-500 for some speakers and maybe pick up an AKG 702 anniversary or Mad dogs but every time I put the HE-500 back on I can't bring myself to get rid of them lol 
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #6,201 of 20,374
Heard good things about Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 for the HE-500

I personally have 'Q' French Silk for mine and really like it.  Very nice ergonomics.  I will not make comments on the sound difference as that is up to the beholder to make the call and I did not get the cable for the sound but because I HATE the stock cable and also wanted to try balanced.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #6,202 of 20,374
Quote:
I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for some cables for the he-500? I'm beginning to really get annoyed of the stock silver cable and might start shopping around for a new cable. (just hopefully not too expensive).

Was planning to sell the He-500 for some speakers and maybe pick up an AKG 702 anniversary or Mad dogs but every time I put the HE-500 back on I can't bring myself to get rid of them lol 
tongue.gif

http://www.btg-audio.com/ and also check the classifieds.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #6,203 of 20,374
omg those cables are 275 >.< 

Is there a cheaper alternative? and I mean a lot cheaper? lol 

I'm not looking for audio improvement, just cable quality improvement to be honest. I'm done chasing for the "perfect" sound. I'm just looking for headphones that match my tastes now :D 

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #6,204 of 20,374

I'm not looking for audio improvement, just cable quality improvement to be honest. I'm done chasing for the "perfect" sound. I'm just looking for headphones that match my tastes now :D 

Try toxic cables..they have affordable cables...quality is very good...starting if i am not mistaken way under 200 usd...about how they sound?..well its my second toxic cable now...sooo... :p

.but its up to the beholder if its what they look for or not..am not going into differences in sound between the cables i had until now..as that would explode in a few pages full of followers of that idea and the ones who dont :D

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #6,205 of 20,374
Quote:

Good idea. Rather change headphones for sound, maybe amps for a different sound, but please don't go down the road of changing sound with cables. Stick with ur current plan and save time and energy.

Try Headphone Lounge. You can get a decent cable for say around $150-$180 with good length. I got a full 3 piece speaker/balanced/3.5mm/1.4" set for HE-500 as well as a balanced LCD-2/3 cable. Chris_Himself here on head-fi or you can email him at his google account.

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #6,206 of 20,374
Quote:

Got a very nice cable from Forza Audioworks for about half that cost, with international shipping.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661441/forza-audioworks-the-appreciation-thread/45#post_9603571

Jul 13, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #6,207 of 20,374
S

tongue.gif

Start by getting a speaker amp for your upcoming speaker and the HE-500 :p

Jul 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #6,209 of 20,374
Here's my temporary comfort rig:

PS3 optical out -> DAC -> Amp -> HE-500. I am streaming from my computer to the ps3 via foobar plugin. Works very good, even converts the music to a file format the ps3 can read on the fly. Amazing stuff. I can even get sound through the tv speakers and headphones at the same time...

Now I just need a solution for having my amp beside me or controlling the volume by other means. Also, I need a solution to get coaxial output from my computer so I can have input from my computer and ps3 at the same time (flicking a switch on the DAC). I am planning to have my Stax setup at the computer (critical listening), HE-500 at the ps3 for movies, games and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back