HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #4,741 of 20,374
Quote:
To get the max you will need a lot more than the e17 I have the lyr but the asgard should do well

I'm sure he understands that. But hey, one step at a time, not everyone could afford to splurge all at once.

May 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #4,742 of 20,374
I see a lot of folks are having to get by on the E17.

In case anyone is interested. My brother has a E09K/E17 and I went over to his house with my HE-500 and surprisingly the E09K does a admirable job of driving them. As good as the Lyr or speaker taps? Nope, but still it would be a nice improvement for people who are just using the E17.

Just throwing out another cheap option for people who love the HE-500.

May 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #4,743 of 20,374
Quote:
new armin van buuren album sounds great on HE-500!!

theres also an emma hewitt song on the album  
biggrin.gif

0_0 +1
New favorite song on the HE-500

May 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #4,744 of 20,374
Quote:
0_0 +1
New favorite song on the HE-500

beerchug.gif

check out my post on the previous page (316)  for some other great HE-500 songs! and also page 231! 

May 8, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #4,748 of 20,374
I've been seriously entertaining the thought of getting the O2 for my HE-500 because of all the love I've read about it, and recommendations given.
But I've read some believe it's simply not powerful enough to truly deliver the goods.

Could you guys give a short list of the powerful amps that do the HE-500 justice?  From what I've read, anything around 2W is what people recommend (sorry if this sounds noobish, I know nothing about electrical engineering, all those numbers hurt my brain)
Ideally I'm looking at a similar budget, but I did buy the HE-500, so I'm probably willing to increase my budget in future by a few hundred [insert currency].

May 8, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #4,750 of 20,374
Quote:
I've been seriously entertaining the thought of getting the O2 for my HE-500 because of all the love I've read about it, and recommendations given.
But I've read some believe it's simply not powerful enough to truly deliver the goods.

Could you guys give a short list of the powerful amps that do the HE-500 justice?  From what I've read, anything around 2W is what people recommend (sorry if this sounds noobish, I know nothing about electrical engineering, all those numbers hurt my brain)
Ideally I'm looking at a similar budget, but I did buy the HE-500, so I'm probably willing to increase my budget in future by a few hundred [insert currency].

Everybody seems to be saying the Lyr does it justice, and that's what I'm aiming for next, currently got the Fiio E9. 

May 8, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #4,751 of 20,374
Quote:

I use an Audio-gd NFB-6 to power my HE-500 in a fully balanced chain with outstanding results.  It delivers 5.92 watts into the '500's 38 ohms and was a bit over $500 including remote control and shipping from Hong Kong to the USA.  

May 8, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #4,752 of 20,374
I've heard the HE 500'S on my NFB- 10 in balanced mode and they sounded really good. The extra current really brings them to life and gives the bass a bit more body.

May 8, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #4,753 of 20,374
And now let's just imagine for a moment that my budget is slightly closer to the Zimbabwean dollar 
tongue.gif
, are there any amps have balls and have seriously wow'ed (price/performance) and come very close to the more expensive ones?

I'm not looking for perfection, just the power to do my headphones justice. 

The  Audio-gd NFB-6 looks good, I'll definitely keep it on my list, but it's really at the TOP of my budget. 
To put things into perspective I'm currently using a simple Fisher 80's stereo receiver as my headphone amp, and I think it sounds bloody brilliant. 

May 8, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #4,754 of 20,374
And now let's just imagine for a moment that my budget is slightly closer to the Zimbabwean dollar 
tongue.gif

, are there any amps have balls and have seriously wow'ed (price/performance) and come very close to the more expensive ones?

I'm not looking for perfection, just the power to do my headphones justice. 

The  Audio-gd NFB-6 looks good, I'll definitely keep it on my list, but it's really at the TOP of my budget. 

To put things into perspective
 I'm currently
 using a simple Fisher 80's stereo receiver as my headphone amp, and I think it sounds bloody brilliant. 

If you can afford the Audio Gd 6 I'd go with that as it's fully balanced.

May 8, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #4,755 of 20,374
Quote:
If you can afford the Audio Gd 6 I'd go with that as it's fully balanced.

But to run balanced wouldn't I also need a new cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back