HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #3,961 of 20,386
Quote:

I'm having a hard time parsing that post. I think my eyesight is going. Would it be too much to ask for some punctuation and an occasional paragraph break? 
tongue.gif

...Epilepsy from ellipsis...

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #3,962 of 20,386
Quote:
I'd buy Jergpads....not so keen on making them once I saw that I'd have to destroy a velour pad to make the Jergpad.  I have my pleathers hanging around and since I never use them, I'd totally experiment making them better...but I needs mah velours for everyday listening, man.

I have a fellow headfi'er making me one..he is top to help me out with this..cant wait to hear how it changes the sound for the better
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #3,963 of 20,386
This well has dried up. Unsubscribed before the O2 subject makes its way around again.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #3,964 of 20,386
Quote:
I have a fellow headfi'er making me one..he is top to help me out with this..cant wait to hear how it changes the sound for the better
wink.gif

d34dh0r53 right? He contacted me some time ago and agreed to show me some photos documenting how he will be performing the mod for me to critique upon.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #3,965 of 20,386
Quote:
Y'all need to chill and make some jergpads.
popcorn.gif

No, you need to start selling Jergpads on an exchange basis. We send you a new pair of pleathers (plus ca$h for mods and shipping) and you send us a modded pair.  Amirite?
smile.gif

I ain't got no time to be cutting holes, man... 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #3,966 of 20,386
Quote:
d34dh0r53 right? He contacted me some time ago and agreed to show me some photos documenting how he will be performing the mod for me to critique upon.

Yes he is..and? how were the pics? do i have to get nervous now?
biggrin.gif
 I asked u also but u didnt have the time and i understand that..

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #3,967 of 20,386
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Last we chatted via PM, he said that he'll be receiving the stock pads sometime around now and will be working on em in the following days.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #3,970 of 20,386
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Hey rookie,

Sorry I thought I PM'd you this morning but that was the other member interested.  I work 9P-9A on the weekends and I'm pretty toasted by 9A so my apologies for not letting you know that I got the pads in on Saturday.  I'll be working on them this week, hopefully shipping by mid-week.  Time to get nervous! :)

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #3,971 of 20,386
Quote:
Hey rookie,

Sorry I thought I PM'd you this morning but that was the other member interested.  I work 9P-9A on the weekends and I'm pretty toasted by 9A so my apologies for not letting you know that I got the pads in on Saturday.  I'll be working on them this week, hopefully shipping by mid-week.  Time to get nervous! :)

Take ur time my friend..i prefer quality over quickies anytime..

just make the best jerg pads u can and then i am happy too..dont worry bout pm'ing me..i know ur working on it..and have big faith in u..because if ur pads are as Good as i think they will be..i will be advertising ur work to anyone..and u know i can be pretty defensive (or scary) about things i like or support...right guys?
biggrin.gif

working from 9 to 9? My god..here in holland we call that student slavery..
biggrin.gif
 And. U probably wont get 140 dollars an hour also huh? Like the guys get on oil drill islands in the sea...they also do those kind of hours..but they get paid in full for that hard work.5000 euro a month if i am not mistaken..and thats for rookies..more experienced workers earn more..
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #3,972 of 20,386
wow this thread has gotten pretty bad haha.  emotiva is just gods gift to the he-500 apparently? people thinking the headphone sucks when listening with a 200$ system that is extremely bottlenecked?  come on guys you can do better than this

listening through an e7 is not going to do much for the HE-500 :3 did you not know that? I hope you knew before making such a purchase.  The HE-500 can sound pretty good on its own out of a phone or something, but in a proper system it's going to blow that away.  Do I even need to be saying this? jeez.

stop complaining about the phone if you're not willing to invest in a system. downgrade or shush if you want your cheapo amp/dac to do magic tricks.  I hope we don't need audio chains explained to us after we've invested 700 bucks into a phone. :|

as someone said yes the same tired subjects about proper amplification, news flash here people, (generally) more expensive amplifiers and DACs have better sound in nearly every category.  you can try to guess if the he-500 will benefit from that

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #3,973 of 20,386
wow this thread has gotten pretty bad haha.  emotiva is just gods gift to the he-500 apparently? people thinking the headphone sucks when listening with a 200$ system that is extremely bottlenecked?  come on guys you can do better than this

listening through an e7 is not going to do much for the HE-500 :3 did you not know that? I hope you knew before making such a purchase.  The HE-500 can sound pretty good on its own out of a phone or something, but in a proper system it's going to blow that away.  Do I even need to be saying this? jeez.

stop complaining about the phone if you're not willing to invest in a system. downgrade or shush if you want your cheapo amp/dac to do magic tricks.  I hope we don't need audio chains explained to us after we've invested 700 bucks into a phone. :|

as someone said yes the same tired subjects about proper amplification, news flash here people, (generally) more expensive amplifiers and DACs have better sound in nearly every category.  you can try to guess if the he-500 will benefit from that

Sounds pretty good from the Magni.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #3,974 of 20,386
Quote:

What u say is so right..i believe the same thing...(ssshht..dont tell anyone i said that..lolz).thats why i am going to invest around 2200 on my new to make custommade amp/dac by my own specs by blue circle audio (if i ever get a quote..am waiting for 2 weeks now, but they are extremely busy i understand)

It will only have usb input and only balanced output for headphones..nothing more, simple and dedicated design..1 in and 1 out..no filters or gains switches or whatever u can change in the signal with...no flashy screens or lights...only one volume knob in front....it wont even have an on-off switch!only two cases..one for the dac/amp and one for the huge external powersupply...

thats why i love my 337 so much..everything is engineered to get the best sound out of the amp for the price..no flashy lights or screens..just dual mono..2 knobs for volume, two powercords for direct delivery of electricity to the dual channels and two on off switches...as if u have two amps in one..all put together in a 18kg (ex tubes!) heavy beast to give u wonderfull music.

Upgrading to a better (and in so a much more expensive) amp (or dac!) is only way i think to really get the he500 sound to its extremes.(or any other higher end phone for that matter).and after that its time for me to upgrade to the (its in the pipeline by hifiman...i understand) new uber hifiman called the jade..i read they are working on a new version of the original..

but i get a feeliing that i am one of the few who believes that by paying more u can actually get more (its not true for any expensive amps..not all expensive amps are good!) out of higher end ur headphones..any higher end headphones..

as lloyd and rezolver said..budget amps can drive those phones reaaly well..my mstage that i had sounded really good with gain on 10db..but i now know..by investing into a better amp i got more satisfaction in listening..

Soo..i must be one of the few who thinks that investing in ur rig after buying an expensive headphone is the right path to go...whether cables (power and headphone, rca,xlr,coax), amping,sources(good dac/spdif converter), better powersupply, pc (a ssd harddisk), tuberolling (for tube amps), opamp upgrades, and vibration damping.
But ofcourse i must be crazy to think that..
biggrin.gif

have a good one guys!

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #3,975 of 20,386
Wow...some of these comments make me want to pull my monoblocks out of storage to run my HE-500's...just kidding.  These cans aren't the easiest to drive...by that I mean make them "shine".  I had this conversation with the techies at Burson Audio after buying the Soloist to drive my HE-500.  They consider the HE-500's a tough load (obviously not one requiring 10-15 watts, but tough nonetheless) and recommend the high gain mode on their very robust headphone amp.  The phones sound very good on that amp - better than they did on my Lyr.  The Lyr has more power - not as much quality power however...IMHO.  The performance exceeds the amp section of my Benchmark DAC1.  The Benchmark amp section is quite good and completely capable of powering the phones, but not with as much control or dynamics of the Burson.  

As for the comments in this forum...It's really difficult to compare the sonic qualities of high-end phones - without some good controls (parameters for associated equipment).  High-end phones will report on every aspect of the chain driving them.  I suspect some ppl's DAC's are having more of an impact on the sound of the HE-500's than their amps.

For example, right now I am debating placing an asynchronous (V-LINK) usb-to-spdif converter in front of my DAC1 (which is adaptive rather than asynchronous).  BTW, the difference is a little better (wider) soundstaging and details - not that great a difference and more a matter of preference really.   My point is that these phones easily report on this change which is three stages removed in the chain.  

In that light, these "strong" exchanges over the impact of different amps is of limited information value (without parity in the rest of the system).  Also once you have $2-3K invested in a headphone system, we are talking preferences and differences on the margins.

I also do not think the HE-500's are really "budget" phones - good value...yes, budget..no.  You need a substantial investment upstream to really enjoy them.  Manufacturers try to increase their market penetration by lower expectations around the investment in associated equipment needed.  Don't believe that BUSH (bu--sh--).  It will only get you into online fights...lol.

Happy Sounds!!           

Users who are viewing this thread

Back