HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #3,976 of 20,386
im pretty happy with my V-Link for my DL III, works great, i find my WA6-SE (especially with higher gain tubes), drives them very well. i can agree that they are a tougher load than the rest of my headphones, definitely not budget unless you're comparing it to more expensive options.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #3,979 of 20,386
Quote:
Can the he-500 be run reasonably well from the e17? If not would it make a difference if I added an e9? Or would I need to buy another amp?

Yes for your first question. You will be missing some dynamics, soundstage, and bass volume though; transparency will also be a little hindered. Of course they still sound like HE500s in terms of refinement, FR and tonal balance.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #3,980 of 20,386
Slightly perturbed, ordered HE-500 early this morning from Head Direct only to find our many hours later that they're out of stock, so I cancelled my order (hopefully my refund will be handled quickly). Will go with Audio Advisor (wish me luck) Damn.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #3,981 of 20,386
Quote:
Slightly perturbed, ordered HE-500 early this morning from Head Direct only to find our many hours later that they're out of stock, so I cancelled my order (hopefully my refund will be handled quickly). Will go with Audio Advisor (wish me luck) Damn.

That's the second time I've heard of Head Direct doing that lately... I think I'll avoid them. Thanks for the heads up. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #3,983 of 20,386
Quote:
That's the second time I've heard of Head Direct doing that lately... I think I'll avoid them. Thanks for the heads up. 

Toxic cables is hifiman dealer and they have lots in stock i understand..maybe u can try there?

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #3,986 of 20,386
Quote:
There have been he-400 and he-500 shortages since mid-february

Its no surprise for me..they sell like sweet cookies..as their good name is skyrocketing...excellent phones for reasonable prices
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #3,987 of 20,386
There have been he-400 and he-500 shortages since mid-february
It took them two months for 6 replacements. I suspect they had to make a driver run and was waiting for enough orders to justify. Of course, speculation and nothing to verify other than the unusually long time for service responses that was out of character for the usually very responsive Head Direct CS team.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #3,988 of 20,386
Quote:

Quote:
Toxic cables is hifiman dealer and they have lots in stock i understand..maybe u can try there?

Thanks Rookie, I ordered from Audio Advisor and have received tracking info already(overnight shipping)!

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #3,989 of 20,386
Quote:
If I lived in the US, I would go for the V-link 192:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MFVL192

EDIT: the Matrix X-SPDIF:
http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/22/index.html

Why get the Matrix for about $300 when all it does is output a digital signal, when you can get an amazing usb hi speed 2.0 compliant 24/192 DAC like the Micromega MYDAC for under $400?  I'm absolutely loving mine.  It takes up to 24/192 from my Squeezebox Touch and outputs a beautiful analog signal to my Burson Soloist SL or Lyr.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #3,990 of 20,386
So I have had my HE-500's for about a week now. I ordered them from Head-Direct and it all went very promptly.

I must admit I am struggling with them and trying to get a sound that I like. I am running them from a Bifrost/Asgard2 setup and I realize I am probably at the bottom end for what is required to power these.

The biggest issue I have is a lack of air and resolution. They have tons of dynamics, for instance listening to the new Depeche Mode album will blow you out of your chair and sounds great.

But I find male voices and midrange to be euphonic or unresolved and there is a big lack of air and resonance. For example classical piano sounds thick and thumping as if tonality has been traded for dynamics.

So if you have recommendations please post. I imagine many will mention the amp, and the only reason I didn't get the Lyr is that I thought it would be less resolving than the Asgard 2. I haven't compared them so I don't really know. One thing I did recently that was surprising is that I plugged the HE-500's straight into my Xonar Essence STX and I thought it sounded better than through the Asgard even though less dynamic. That was an unexpected surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back