HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 30, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #2,791 of 20,386
Quote:

Hey, I would say let the HE-500 for a while before getting a final picture. Well of course it is partially you getting used to the sound, so it doesn't have to be burn in. However in my case, I went from a used HE-500 fully burned in to a new replacement which sounded bad at first. After a while it finally returned to the original sound. I would give it a week. Regarding the volume level for burn in, play slightly louder than what you are used to.

I don't know which O2 you have. My O2 is from JDS Labs with the stock gain settings. At first, I kept going to high gain in an effort to get more bass thump, but it had woo too much distortion. After getting used to the O2's sound, I kept it at low gain. For the past few months, with HE-500 and LCD-2, I keep it at low gain position and stay anywhere from 11-1 o clock. No need for high gain for sure.

My O2 is configured to 1x and 2.5x ( not 6.5x ). 

So far no sibilance and I'm pretty happy about this aspect.

Cheers.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #2,792 of 20,386
Quote:

Agreed. Once you hear these, any thoughts of buyer's remorse will dissipate instantaneously.

+1 i agree totally..those cans are really good.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #2,797 of 20,386
Gotta say I love the look of the device, and I would love a single, small footprint unit. But one thing I love that the Lyr has is a basic stereo out. Doesn't seem like this does?

Looks like the rca outputs on the WA7 double as inputs and d/a outputs when it is used as a dac. At least from what I see on the Woo page

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,798 of 20,386
Gotta say I love the look of the device, and I would love a single, small footprint unit. But one thing I love that the Lyr has is a basic stereo out. Doesn't seem like this does?

Looks like the rca outputs on the WA7 double as inputs and d/a outputs when it is used as a dac. At least from what I see on the Woo page

Hmm, that's interesting. I might end up upgrading at some point, then.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2,799 of 20,386
@Dougo

Which tubes you are using for Lyr? I also have Bifrost-Lyr-HE-500 and I've been using 6N1Ps to drive HE-500 and I found sub bass to be a bit low in volume. My HE-500 has less than 30 hours of use though.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2,801 of 20,386
Just got my HE-500 in and my modded HD580 has just run and hid in the corner. I have heard them before but never had the time to truly enjoy them one on one in a quiet environment before.

I am at my iMac and since i have not yet got the Tube Amps i intend to get i have just been playing around with these and all the billions of portable amplifiers that i have. I have been using the magical MyST PortaDAC 1866 in its USB mode as the DAC (Audioengine D1 was not even comparable) and then using the Line Out to feed my portable amplifiers.

First up was the Objective 2 and it done a decent enough job as i expected but found slightly peaky highs. I then went to Firestone Audio HD and it could not handle these to save its life. I then went to the Tube Amp BL-2 and i would go ahead and say this done the best. Everything was smooth, super transparent and in good quantity. It then run out of battery so i moved on to the Lear FSM-02 V2 and this in its Class A mode delivered the richest bass impact and warmest sound from the HE-500. Its was very nice, it also done well from the normal headphone out and i also played around with its on board EQ which actually made these have a large and impactful bass which was fun to experiment with! I finished with just the headphone out of the PortaDAC 1866 and as expected it done a very good job, not quite to the level of the BL-2 but better than the objective 2 and it started to grow on me for sure with time.

I then thought why not try with my portable player, the HiFi ET MA9. It is not terrible by any means but it lacked a bit of bass which i think shows it struggles a bit even though it was full of energy and got really loud. Maybe it is just not a great synergy. I am hoping that with a different amp (maybe the balanced board) or DAC board that the HE-500 could get on better with the MA9.

I also am quite excited to say that i have the whole Beyer range coming round on wednesday for comparison and all sorts of fun!

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #2,802 of 20,386
Quote:
Just got my HE-500 in and my modded HD580 has just run and hid in the corner. I have heard them before but never had the time to truly enjoy them one on one in a quiet environment before.

I am at my iMac and since i have not yet got the Tube Amps i intend to get i have just been playing around with these and all the billions of portable amplifiers that i have. I have been using the magical MyST PortaDAC 1866 in its USB mode as the DAC (Audioengine D1 was not even comparable) and then using the Line Out to feed my portable amplifiers.

First up was the Objective 2 and it done a decent enough job as i expected but found slightly peaky highs. I then went to Firestone Audio HD and it could not handle these to save its life. I then went to the Tube Amp BL-2 and i would go ahead and say this done the best. Everything was smooth, super transparent and in good quantity. It then run out of battery so i moved on to the Lear FSM-02 V2 and this in its Class A mode delivered the richest bass impact and warmest sound from the HE-500. Its was very nice, it also done well from the normal headphone out and i also played around with its on board EQ which actually made these have a large and impactful bass which was fun to experiment with! I finished with just the headphone out of the PortaDAC 1866 and as expected it done a very good job, not quite to the level of the BL-2 but better than the objective 2 and it started to grow on me for sure with time.

I then thought why not try with my portable player, the HiFi ET MA9. It is not terrible by any means but it lacked a bit of bass which i think shows it struggles a bit even though it was full of energy and got really loud. Maybe it is just not a great synergy. I am hoping that with a different amp (maybe the balanced board) or DAC board that the HE-500 could get on better with the MA9.

I also am quite excited to say that i have the whole Beyer range coming round on wednesday for comparison and all sorts of fun!

Have fun with ur testing then 
beerchug.gif
 And congrats on ur new he500

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,803 of 20,386
Quote:

Welcome to the thread.  Congrats on your new HE-500's.  Looks like you've got a head start on the gear to power them as well.  We look forward to reading you impressions as you get more familiar with their sound signature.

What type of music do you enjoy Swim?

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #2,804 of 20,386
Quote:
Welcome to the thread.  Congrats on your new HE-500's.  Looks like you've got a head start on the gear to power them as well.  We look forward to reading you impressions as you get more familiar with their sound signature.

What type of music do you enjoy Swim?

Thanks for the kind welcomes guys and i am very happy to be part of it!

Yes, i think i have enough stuff that can deliver a good amount of power which is handy for sure. I am hoping to get some chinese tube amps over for review after the new year (la figaro, dark voice, little dot) so that should be fun with this as well.

I have a very broad taste. I guess i would say rock, metal and alternative are my favourite genre although i love a bit of jazz and have even listened to a few more classical pieces lately. But yes good old rock and metal such as metallica, iron maiden, sabbath, foo etc is my preference!

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #2,805 of 20,386
You couldn't have picked a more enjoyable headphone to cover those genre's imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back