HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #2,491 of 20,386
Quote:
I always found it interesting how the general consensus is that the HE-400 improves greatly with velours, and that the HE-500 improves greatly with pleather pads. Did HiFiMan get the pads switched or something?

If they did it was definitely intentional, so they'd get more earpad sales outside the headphone purchases themselves.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #2,492 of 20,386
The general consensus is that the HE-500 is better with the velours.  Am I wrong?  That's most of what I read.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #2,495 of 20,386
Quote:
The general consensus is that the HE-500 is better with the velours.  Am I wrong?  That's most of what I read.

That is also my belief. I haven't read many comments from people preferring the pleather pads on either the HE-400 or HE-500. I tried the pleather on my 500's and just couldn't stand how much the mids were sacrificed for a jump in bass. It pulled the sound out of balance. I don't like the voicing of the 400's in general as I prefer my bass to be as the music intended and not over-emphasized. This is also why I prefer the 500 to the LCD2 (haven't heard the LCD3). 

I just wish the HE-6 didn't exist to torment me....the budget just doesn't have to room right now

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2,496 of 20,386
Quote:
I think I've just fallen in love with my pair of HE500s. Decided to try a small foam disc directly between the earpads and the drivers today, the change was tremendous. Treble is now absolutely grain-free (had a tiny bit of grain before), bass is now on par in terms of punch with the HE400. It now sounds like a slightly unpolished LCD3 but with a bit more treble quantity and lots more air.

Maybe you can post a pic?

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #2,497 of 20,386
Quote:

I would say so yeah with the stock pads. They're just too dark and muddied with the pleathers in comparison. Buts its all a case fine tuning for personal preference. Some find them a bit hot in the treb so the pleathers help with this. In my case I feel that they lose their airy extension at the top and thats why I insist on velours :)

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #2,498 of 20,386
Quote:
I would say so yeah with the stock pads. They're just too dark and muddied with the pleathers in comparison. Buts its all a case fine tuning for personal preference. Some find them a bit hot in the treb so the pleathers help with this. In my case I feel that they lose their airy extension at the top and thats why I insist on velours :)

I find that the velours don't give the lower end as much body (or harmonics if you wanna call it that) as the pleathers do. The airiness issue of pleathers can be mostly mitigated by doing an open grills mod; all subjective experience of course.

Maybe you can post a pic?

Same as this but on my HE500 instead:

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #2,499 of 20,386
Quote:
Beyer pads do it for me.

Same here I use beyer pads with a spacer to stop my ear from touching the driver.  I wasn't a big fan of the pleathers.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #2,500 of 20,386
What worked really well for me was using a pair of pads from a broken set of Denon D2000 cans. Very soft pleather, slightly anged for better soundstage, and just the right size. Anyone esle try this yet?

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #2,502 of 20,386
Quote:
I love the pleathers. I haven't tried the velours; 'don't want to break what's not broken. Great phones as they are delivered.

Hah but the seed has been planted.... It will always be in the back of your mind niggling away at you now  'wonder what the velours actually sound like.. mmm..?' You'll end up trying em. It's inevitable. And when you do, I'd be very surprised if you still prefer the pleath.
L3000.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #2,503 of 20,386
Hah but the seed has been planted.... It will always be in the back of your mind niggling away at you now  'wonder what the velours actually sound like.. mmm..?' You'll end up trying em. It's inevitable. And when you do, I'd be very surprised if you still prefer the pleath. :L3000:

Noooo! Thanks to this "seed"
I am now stuck with a working but underamped HE-6 and a broken Emotiva Mini soon to be gone for repairs...
I hate that nagging... It always ends up bad when you get it...

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #2,504 of 20,386
Quote:
Noooo! Thanks to this "seed"
I am now stuck with a working but underamped HE-6 and a broken Emotiva Mini soon to be gone for repairs...
I hate that nagging... It always ends up bad when you get it...

biggrin.gif
 god dam the seed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back