HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #2,176 of 20,374
@Zoom25

Really? I was always under the impression closed headphones (like the D2000) were very hot over long sittings.  I would have figured the HE-500 would be easier as far as heat...

I've always went with Open Headphones for this very reason!

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #2,177 of 20,374
Quote:
@Zoom25

Really? I was always under the impression closed headphones (like the D2000) were very hot over long sittings.  I would have figured the HE-500 would be easier as far as heat...

Just sat through the movie Avengers (2:20min) using HE-500 and have no problem with weight or heat build-up in cups (then again I don't know how much being a serious powerlifter comes into play :wink:. On a sidenote it is fabulous to finally sustain high immersive sound level with an action movie and not disturb the sleeping babies in the next room.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #2,178 of 20,374
Quote:
@Zoom25

The D2000 doesn't have much clamping force, so the leather isn't that bad in this situation. The HE-500 has much more clamping force and also the velour can sometimes get itchy.

I'm not saying that the HE-500 is bad, in fact it gets a 9/10 for movies for me. It's just the lack of depth that annoys me.

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #2,179 of 20,374
I'm looking to buy a set of headphones for 95% gaming.  The HE-500 seems to fit the bill after reading through this thread...

My question is, is the HE-500 an end-game headphone?  Or would you point to a HE-6 or HD800?  There are ALOT of comparisons of the HE-500 to the LCD-2.  So if the HE-500 IS NOT an end-game product, then the LCD-2 isn't endgame?  That doesn't make sense to me...

Is the HE-500 an end-game for a serious gamer who loves immersion and bass?

In my honest opinion the he400 fits gaming better..first its easier to drive..and secondly..the tremble and lows are more agressive/prominent then the he500..as u know..good tremble gives u an advantage in finding oponents in gaming..lolz.
But this is ofcourse my opinion..for music the he500 wins hands down! Me myself use the ecellent beyerdynamic mmx300 as gamingheadphone..with its own dedicated usb amplifier..i love him for first person shooters..for music i use my he500.. :D

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2,180 of 20,374
@Zoom25

Thats not true..i play sometimes hours of first person shooters and my closed back beyerdynamic mmx300 never feel sticky or hot or heavy..but mines have fluffy velours pads.. :D

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #2,182 of 20,374
Quote:
In my honest opinion the he400 fits gaming better..first its easier to drive..and secondly..the tremble and lows are more agressive/prominent then the he500..as u know..good tremble gives u an advantage in finding oponents in gaming..lolz.
But this is ofcourse my opinion..for music the he500 wins hands down! Me myself use the ecellent beyerdynamic mmx300 as gamingheadphone..with its own dedicated usb amplifier..i love him for first person shooters..for music i use my he500..
biggrin.gif

Agreed completely. The D2000 in that regard are better for gaming and movies, the bass of the Denons is the closest you can get to a subwoofer. For music, the HE-500 wins every time. Although the HE-500 aren't bass shy at all. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #2,183 of 20,374
Quote:
Just sat through the movie Avengers (2:20min) using HE-500 and have no problem with weight or heat build-up in cups (then again I don't know how much being a serious powerlifter comes into play :wink:. On a sidenote it is fabulous to finally sustain high immersive sound level with an action movie and not disturb the sleeping babies in the next room.

If you haven't tried the add on headband yet, do it! It adds even further comfort. I never found the HE-500 heavy either - Tony Horton trained me well 
wink.gif

I agree, the HE-500 considering they are open, provide as much isolation as my D2000 - although they still leak more than Denon but still for open phones - they are average.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #2,184 of 20,374
If you haven't tried the add on headband yet, do it! It adds even further comfort. I never found the HE-500 heavy either - Tony Horton trained me well :wink:

I agree, the HE-500 considering they are open, provide as much isolation as my D2000 - although they still leak more than Denon but still for open phones - they are average.

I have the softy headband addon also on my he500..it feels as if its half its weight now!! Best mod u can buy..and i think the cheapest also for the he500..and easy..only be carefull putting on to much pressure on the clippon buttons..i broke one by accident..

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #2,185 of 20,374
Quote:
I have the softy headband addon also on my he500..it feels as if its half its weight now!! Best mod u can buy..and i think the cheapest also for the he500..and easy..only be carefull putting on to much pressure on the clippon buttons..i broke one by accident..

I got mines from Ebay for $9.99 and $5 for shipping to Canada. I usually button suppose, one button on the left extreme and then switch to right extreme and then return to left and then right again. Doing it in a row almost did the same as well on mines. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2,186 of 20,374
hifiman rookie is it worth me upgrading to the he-500 from the k701

Depends on what ur looking for..i listened to the k701 once for a while from a friend of mine when i had mine he300 to compare it..and i consider the k701 the master of soundstage.and very neutral..almost flat sounding....and if u want serious soundstage that then no the he500 is not an upgrade in my opinion..if u want neutral..then in my eyes no also..BUT if u want a phone u can put on for hours listening to ANY music then the he500 is by far the better choice..its a wonderfull balanced sounding phone..but..maybe u have a look on another higher end phone..the hd800..it has big soundstage as well, is very neutral..unforgiving almost..but very picky on the amp u connect it to..if u want a phone like k701..but with everything better..then maybe the hd800 is ur choice..if u want a warm more balanced sounding headphone who isnt bad at ANY music u throw at it..then well..check my profile pics for the answer.. :D
But what i once said..its a sum of many ingedients that makes a phone and ur listening experience great..in the end its all aboutpersonal taste and why u need the phone for. As u can see for gaming and watching hd movies on my laptop i use my trustfull built like a tank wonderfull beyers..and not my he500..
My advice..get off ur butt..take ur rig with u and ur music..and ask a good shop that u can listen to a few headphones for at least an hour or so on ur rig..some even let u take one home to trythem..only then u can know whats best for u..good luck with ur search! :wink:

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #2,189 of 20,374
[[/INDENT]
Which one do you enjoy listening to.  I love the HE-500s.  However, I got my Q701s on now and enjoying them:D

At this moment its 2am am on couch listening to my he500 with my ipad 3 on my chest typing in the dark :) and to be honest..at a meet i attended 1 month ago.. WITH my 337 only the he6 sounded better then my he500 with the copper cables i have on my he500..tried the hd800 (terrible), the lcd 2 v.2 ( empty sounding..sounded better with v200!) some grados..the hd650 actually came close! So for the price..if u have a strong tubey..go for the he500.. As really..its that good! and now i am burning myself some tungsols 5998 and some bendix 6080WB graphite plated tubes so it will get only better :D i am wondering which of the two will sound better with my tungsols gt meshplates... :D
But as i said..listen to the phones who makes u smile..thats most important thing here..no matter high end, mid end or low end..important is that it makes u feel good.. :D

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #2,190 of 20,374
plus i put my 701 on like 2 hours ago and the damn plastic thing snapped...........
Ive seen a pic someone else posted on the forum that has a snap in the same place. 
Im annoyed because the right driver rattles a lot when i listen to music with any bass in it and i was going to send them back last year but im so lazy u have no idea. I emailed the company i got them from, 3 times, telling them i was going to send them back and i never did. Now that the part is broken im stuck with a rattling driver.

I want maximum soundstage but the hd800 are too much money :frowning2: . From some people i heard the he-500 is not that bad and has good 3D imaging

Users who are viewing this thread

Back