HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #1,561 of 20,374
Good point.  Did you ever try their SEX 2.1 amp?  They say it is an excellent match for LCD-2.  
http://www.bottlehead.com/et/whichheadphoneamp.htm

Quote:

WNBC, the Crack isn't a good match for the HE-500's.  Crack is meant for high impedance cans, so very nice with Senn HD-650's for Beyer DT-880/600's, but not good with Hifiman's.  I have both and tried them together and it doesn't sound good.

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,563 of 20,374
Quote:
Really, the only thing I dislike about the Lyr is the heat it produces. However, this winter I will love it...that's why I call the Lyr my "winter rig"
wink.gif

The synergy between the HE-500s and Lyr is outstanding, to my ears. Even better than my vintage Marantz, which was my original intended pairing ala Skylab's recommendation. The Lyr has plenty of power and the ability to fine tune the SQ via tube rolling is awesome.

With the Lyr, I find the HE-500 to have deep, tight bass and a silky midrange that's very, very smooth. Vocals are slightly forward, as I like them. I was concerned about the extended treble and opted to order the cans from Moon with a black dragon copper cable to tame the upper edge a bit. Happily, after 90 hours burn-in, I can report the highs are sweet, detailed, and not shrill at all.

YMMV.
smile.gif

I was a little concerned (in advance) with the HE-500's highs because I heard they restored some of the highs that were tamed on the 5LE's (vs the original HE-5's).  But I actually found the 5LE's to have brighter highs.  The HE-500's are, to my ears, very polite cans based on my experience so far.  I'm mostly listening to them now out of the HP out of my vintage Yamaha receiver, but will soon be listening to them out of speaker taps out of the same receiver.  Just have to re-term a new cable to XLR.

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,564 of 20,374
Quote:
Really, the only thing I dislike about the Lyr is the heat it produces. However, this winter I will love it...that's why I call the Lyr my "winter rig"
wink.gif

The synergy between the HE-500s and Lyr is outstanding, to my ears. Even better than my vintage Marantz, which was my original intended pairing ala Skylab's recommendation. The Lyr has plenty of power and the ability to fine tune the SQ via tube rolling is awesome.

With the Lyr, I find the HE-500 to have deep, tight bass and a silky midrange that's very, very smooth. Vocals are slightly forward, as I like them. I was concerned about the extended treble and opted to order the cans from Moon with a black dragon copper cable to tame the upper edge a bit. Happily, after 90 hours burn-in, I can report the highs are sweet, detailed, and not shrill at all.

YMMV.
smile.gif

Although (across the board) I haven't come to the same conclusion as you, it's always nice to know that someone somewhere is happy with their gear!  The reason I asked the question; for me, there is something missing and I am not certain if it's the headphone or the amp.  I can't help thinking I might be able to get more out of the headphones with a more powerful amp .  They do punch a bit harder than the Burson, but I think they can go further still.  I just don't know if my wallet can handle it.  Thanks for your input!

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #1,565 of 20,374
Quote:
Good point.  Did you ever try their SEX 2.1 amp?  They say it is an excellent match for LCD-2.  
http://www.bottlehead.com/et/whichheadphoneamp.htm

No, I haven't.  Honestly, I'm finding it hard to justify spending more on cans or amps at this point. 
redface.gif
  Even though another DIY would be a fun summer project.  I'm happiest at this point using HP out or speaker taps directly out of my vintage Yamaha CR 220 receiver (15wpc).  But the EF5 and NFB-12 are my other amp options (Bottlehead aside, which I use with HD650's), which are both pretty good with the Hifiman cans as well.

Actually thinking of selling some of my gear - they (extra/less-used cans/amps) don't do me a lot of good just sitting there, and I'm thinking (though haven't yet decided) that 2 (maybe 3) full sized cans are probably enough for me, which means selling 1-2 pairs.  IEMs take less space (and most of mine are cheaper ones anyway), so hanging on to more IEMs than I regularly use.

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #1,566 of 20,374
Quote:
Although (across the board) I haven't come to the same conclusion as you, it's always nice to know that someone somewhere is happy with their gear!  The reason I asked the question; for me, there is something missing and I am not certain if it's the headphone or the amp.  I can't help thinking I might be able to get more out of the headphones with a more powerful amp .  They do punch a bit harder than the Burson, but I think they can go further still.  I just don't know if my wallet can handle it.  Thanks for your input!

What tubes are you running in your Lyr?  I'm sorry, I didn't see what DAC or source is in your chain. Using Flac/lossless files?

We are always happy to help, but we want YOU to be happy also
smile.gif

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,567 of 20,374
Quote:
What tubes are you running in your Lyr?  I'm sorry, I didn't see what DAC or source is in your chain. Using Flac/lossless files?

We are always happy to help, but we want YOU to be happy also
smile.gif

My source is my laptop running WMA lossless files through the Zune software.  I'm using the DAC on the Burson, and I'm running the GE 6BZ7 NOS tubes, which were recommended by Jason.

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #1,572 of 20,374
Quote:
if i'd have waited a week or two later, i'd probably have picked up the V200 over the Lyr only due to the fact that it's solid state.  As for the Pheonix.... that should prove interesting...

I know what you mean. I'm not one for patience either haha. But yeah going to be listening SE first while i make a balanced cable but i'm not sure if it will be a fair comparison between the 2 since afaik the phoenix has 1/4th the power when it's running headphones in SE. And as always with new headphones it will take a while for the brain to burn in to the sound 
cool.gif

Will post my thoughts as i go through the process though.

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #1,573 of 20,374
@dubstepgirl

If you're still reading this  anyway, be sure to let us know your wa6se impressions with the he-500 if you do pick a pair up.  There's not really a ton of information around on how the woo amps pair.  Only a few opinions.  Most people just seem to get a Lyr which I'm sure is fine, but I like the woo stuff quite a bit more so I'd like to know more about it :) I'd personally go for a woo any day over the lyr.  I just get a weird feeling that the lyr would not suit me.  Also I guess I'm afraid that it's over hyped.  I'm sure it is fine though.

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,574 of 20,374
Day 4 waiting for my replacement HE-500. I'm going slightly mad. I've resorted to using my speakers and a standard xbox mic when gaming. The mic sounds like you would if you put a hand over your mouth. It's the most muffled audio device I've ever heard. lol

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,575 of 20,374
thanks.

sure thing.

if the HE-500 really does have a K701-ish sound, feels like i'm gonna love them.. i liked the k701 alot, but sold because T1/HD800 better, but they're not the same sound 
frown.gif

i like that neutral but slightly warm midrange, and if the bass is better than the k's, thats a plus.

i know the K701 paired really well with my WA6-SE, like really good. i'm sure the HE-500 will do good with the 6SE, it does good for all my other cans lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back