HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 17, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #1,216 of 20,386
I don't even consider the HD600/650 in the same class as the HE-500.  Not sure why anyone would really...

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #1,217 of 20,386
A big AMEN!!!!!

Quote:
I don't even consider the HD600/650 in the same class as the HE-500.  Not sure why anyone would really...

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,218 of 20,386

Quote:

Well... let's see now... here's what Headfonia said about how the HD650 compares to the HE500...

"Now, a well amped HD650 will give you:

1. Better soundstage image, better three dimensionality, better
layering, better depth.
2. Better micro details.
3. Better dynamic range.

For classic rock and audiophile vocal, I think the HE-500 is a good headphone.  It’s definitely far more likeable than the HD650, as a lot of
people feel the HD650 to be too slow-paced.

But the HD650 has higher scalability than the HE-500, and so if you have a very very good amp (like $2000+ Zana, Beta22, Manley), then the HD650 may still be better than the HE-500.  But compared to the HD650 on a sub $1000 amp, the HE-500 is far easier to enjoy and appreciate.  Actually I think the HE-500 does beat the HD650 on a lot of points, unless you happen to have a $2k amp that just takes the HD650 on a whole different level...

On the other hand, the HD650′s better micro details, soundstage layering, etc is mostly technicalities that will only be evident on classical recordings."

http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-he-500-first-impression/3/

And... based on my experience with both, the "new version" HD650 with the RAL CryoSilver cable, driven by the WA 6SEm, or Millett MiniMax, from the Monarchy Audio M24 Tube Dac is as good as any I've heard, including the HE500's and O2's (actually much better than the ones I had).  Though, I understand the HE500, when driven by an exceptional and powerful amp, such as the Isabellina HPA, is reportedly as good as it gets. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #1,219 of 20,386
I enjoyed the HD650 for years but after getting the HE-500 I just couldn't listen to the HD650 more than few minutes despite trying  hard to enjoy it with different musics. IMO they are in  complete different leagues. I have also very little faith with most of the stuff on Heafonia as I my own experience is often very different to what is reported in their reviews. But of course it is a very subjective hobby so not that surprising in the end.
Any negative review just makes me want to buy and try the product. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #1,220 of 20,386
I use the 650 at work all day long and the 500 at home (amongst others). If it's absolutely only for rock I wouldn't pick either as the 650 might be a bit slow and the LCD-2 does rock better as the HE-500.
Overall the HE-500 is my fav headphone, 650 on tubes is 2nd and the LCD-2 is third. The He-500 does rock good, but the LCD-2 does it better, for everything else I prefer the Hifiman.

About the 650, with a very good/expensive tube amp it can do great things, but overall I would say the HE-500 is better. then again, I wouldn't compare both directly to eachother as they have too different sound signatures.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #1,221 of 20,386

Quote:

Well... let's see now... here's what Headfonia said about how the HD650 compares to the HE500...

layering, better depth.
2. Better micro details.
3. Better dynamic range.

For classic rock and audiophile vocal, I think the HE-500 is a good headphone.  It’s definitely far more likeable than the HD650, as a lot of

But the HD650 has higher scalability than the HE-500, and so if you have a very very good amp (like $2000+ Zana, Beta22, Manley), then the HD650 may still be better than the HE-500.  But compared to the HD650 on a sub $1000 amp, the HE-500 is far easier to enjoy and appreciate.  Actually I think the HE-500 does beat the HD650 on a lot of points, unless you happen to have a $2k amp that just takes the HD650 on a whole different level...

On the other hand, the HD650′s better micro details, soundstage layering, etc is mostly technicalities that will only be evident on classical recordings."

And... based on my experience with both, the "new version" HD650 with the RAL CryoSilver cable, driven by the WA 6SEm, or Millett MiniMax, from the Monarchy Audio M24 Tube Dac is as good as any I've heard, including the HE500's and O2's (actually much better than the ones I had).  Though, I understand the HE500, when driven by an exceptional and powerful amp, such as the Isabellina HPA, is reportedly as good as it gets. 

Meh, I read that too.  I amped my HD650's and SilverDragon V3 cable with a Bijou tube amp and Opus DAC.  It sounded good, but the same set up powering the HE-500's sounds much better.  I personally think the high's on the HD650's sound thin and scratchy (aka. what they call "micro-details") and the bass sounds synthetic. 

I also think that you're misinterpreting that review.  When they were talking about they amp on the HD650's they weren't comparing it to the HE-500.  They were comparing it to an unmapped or weakly amped HD650.

To each his own.

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,222 of 20,386
If you bother to read the comments section of the review you quote Mike also goes to say:

"I think overall, the HE-500 is just on a different level than the HD650
and the two should not be compared."

"Actually I think the HE-500 does beat the HD650 on a lot of points, unless you happen to have a $2k amp that just takes the HD650 on a whole different level.
Let's see:
Better bass section.
More open sound
Better, faster pace
More forward and more engaging
Better tonality
On the HE-500
On the other hand, the HD650's better micro details, soundstage layering, etc is mostly technicalities that will only be evident on classical recordings.
If you are listening to the average pop rock recording, those advantages the HD650 has are irrelevant. Whereas the advantages of the HE-500 is very hard to miss."

"Again, I think the HE-500 beats both the W1000X and the HD650 in terms of genre bandwith. Forward and engaging, good fast pace, excellent tonality, good bass clarity, bass impact, many many good things that is going to be hard not to notice."

Quote:

layering, better depth.
2. Better micro details.
3. Better dynamic range.

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,223 of 20,386
Thanks for all the information. I myself have been wanting a headphone that can sounds as detailed and exciting as some of my custom earphones. What I do like about headphones is the ease of putting them on and taking them off. I have spend many hrs at some shops here in Hong Kong listening to various headphones and have not found one that I really like. Most did sound very nice but not great. Now I aim for the HE-500.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #1,224 of 20,386

Quote:
Thanks for all the information. I myself have been wanting a headphone that can sounds as detailed and exciting as some of my custom earphones. What I do like about headphones is the ease of putting them on and taking them off. I have spend many hrs at some shops here in Hong Kong listening to various headphones and have not found one that I really like. Most did sound very nice but not great. Now I aim for the HE-500.

The nice thing about the HE-500's is it feels as though every day gets a little bit better.  I know that's just "the first few days", as mine came in just a few days ago (used, so already burned in over 200 hours) but as my ears adjust more and more, my smile gets wider and wider.  The level of bass texture, quality, depth, general detail, clarity and image is very impressive.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #1,225 of 20,386

Quote:

The nice thing about the HE-500's is it feels as though every day gets a little bit better.  I know that's just "the first few days", as mine came in just a few days ago (used, so already burned in over 200 hours) but as my ears adjust more and more, my smile gets wider and wider.

Thats the feeling I am after!

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #1,226 of 20,386
I would agree that the HD600/650 need a much higher quality of amplification to shine their best, and when given something like a Balancing Act or Zana Deux to drive them they are outstanding.  With lesser amps the HE-500 pull ahead, but the HD600/650 will still have a bigger deeper soundstage.  The HE-500 are a little more forward sounding to me, but I wouldn't call the soundstage too small just because it's smaller than with the Sennheiser.

I disagree that the HD650 have better detail, and I would say that with an average amp they can sound a bit veiled, but when given enough voltage swing and a balanced output amp and good source then they come alive.  But, the HE-500 detail is every bit as good as a well driven HD600/650, and you don't need a monster amp to extract that from them.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #1,227 of 20,386
woohoo. just ordered HE-500. can't wait to get mine. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #1,228 of 20,386
I love them.  Probably the most I'm going to spend on a pair of headphones.  I just hope that the cables and the micro coax holds better than I think its going to.  It reminds me of the antenna on a Sirius satellite radio which had to be replaced constantly.  The actual build of them are fantastic just kinda heavy.  The akg 550 is very light and a lot easier to drive compared to the hifiman he500.  If I do get something hifiman I think I might give Moon Audio a shot next time.   Audio direct is like the Rex Grossman of audio distribution.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #1,230 of 20,386

Quote:
don't blame you that is crazy expensive for a headphone cable.  Thats like half a pair of new pair of good headphones.  I don't know why they are so expensive.  

who are you talking to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back