HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,111 of 20,386
I got these lovely cans and I definetely need a better amp (but my sources aren't that great either), what do you think about the nfb-10se to be runned balanced ? Hope is not too dry and bright ? Some says it's a cheaper and better alternative to the lyr/bufrost combo, what do you think ?

Thanks

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #1,112 of 20,386
I bought a decware taboo for my he-500, no impressions yet.  I think I have about 2 months to go on the build list.  Meanwhile, my cable snapped at the connector.  That is kind of disappointing but not unexpected since the cable is very cheap.  I don't know what happened the the old super bulky cables :frowning2:  makes me sad they no longer offer them.

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #1,114 of 20,386
Nevermind...
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #1,115 of 20,386

Quote:
I bought a decware taboo for my he-500, no impressions yet.  I think I have about 2 months to go on the build list.  Meanwhile, my cable snapped at the connector.  That is kind of disappointing but not unexpected since the cable is very cheap.  I don't know what happened the the old super bulky cables :frowning2:  makes me sad they no longer offer them.

You mean the sonically inferior but structurally superior Canare cables? I guess sound > structural integrity for HiFiMan.

(Although all HE400's shipped with the Canare cables...I guess they are cheaper in the first place)

If enough people file complaints to HiFiMan about the fragility of the silver cables they will do something about it almost definitely.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #1,116 of 20,386

Quote:
You mean the sonically inferior but structurally superior Canare cables? I guess sound > structural integrity for HiFiMan.

(Although all HE400's shipped with the Canare cables...I guess they are cheaper in the first place)

If enough people file complaints to HiFiMan about the fragility of the silver cables they will do something about it almost definitely.

Yes those are the ones I mean.  I can't imagine them sounding that much worse.  Either way they said they are sending me a replacement as I expected.  It's unfortunate the first one snapped so easily though.  I might just put some heatshrink on the connector of the next one to beef it up a little.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #1,117 of 20,386
Reading HE-500 owners' posts of the silver cable breaking at the connector is the main reason I decided to get an aftermarket cable for my HE-500.  Bought them new, from moon-audio, bundled with a Blue Dragon cable.  

I would go berserk if my stock silver cable broke.  Really, I would. 
mad.gif

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,119 of 20,386

Quote:
This cable-connector problem was first reported how long ago?  How come they are still shipping with it?  

The first person I saw that had a problem with it was about right when they introduced the new cable.  Not too much after.  It's just a problem with the plastic coating they use for the wire.  It's too brittle it seems to me.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #1,122 of 20,386
You have no idea how big or small the issue is. I haven't seen that this is happening on a large scale at all. I have the silver cable and while it is not my favourite it also hasn't broken and sounds great. My only complaint is that I don't like the 1/8" termination and adapter. I am awaiting my new Norse cable as we speak though. I don't anticipate a big change in sound but don't know until I try I guess. 

Quote:
then they've had plenty of time to do something about it.  Or don't they care?

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #1,123 of 20,386

Quote:
then they've had plenty of time to do something about it.  Or don't they care?

If it looks the same doesn't mean its built the same.

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,124 of 20,386

You have no idea how big or small the issue is. I haven't seen that this is happening on a large scale at all. 

There are quite a few complaints.  I haven't got time to find them all for you but here's a quick cut and paste from early February:

Quote:
My HE-500's cable just broke at the left connector... The new silver cable is really poor quality and I really wish the phones came with the canare cable instead

Quote:
at the end of the left connector's strain relief

BTW are the OCC HE-6 cables any better? My HE-500's cables weren't even properly litz braided at some points.

Quote:
The cables seem to continue to be the sore point. I've had defective cables with both the HE-4 and the HE-500

Quote:
I've had mine for about a week, now, and I've just encountered the same problem.  Would you happen to know of a guide on how to go about performing the same repair?

Quote:

Mine did exactly the same today after two months, the quality of the cable is just under all critique. Just put an order on the Poison Toxic Pure OCC Silver Cable from Frank.

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,125 of 20,386
Well I suppose you shouldn't buy them then. 

Quote:

There are quite a few complaints.  I haven't got time to find them all for you but here's a quick cut and paste from early February:

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back