HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #1,066 of 20,374
I don't think I'm getting the best out of them, but based on what I perceive as the limits of the HE-500 on my big rig, which does deliver adequate current, I think the O2 is a good recommendation.  It's certainly not end game, but then again, neither is the HE-500.  So an O2 (or an M3) would be more than adequate to get them as far as most folks should go, before considering better headphones (in my opinion).  Maybe my source is coming into the equation here?  

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #1,067 of 20,374

Quote:
I don't think I'm getting the best out of them, but based on what I perceive as the limits of the HE-500 on my big rig, which does deliver adequate current, I think the O2 is a good recommendation.  It's certainly not end game, but then again, neither is the HE-500.  So an O2 (or an M3) would be more than adequate to get them as far as most folks should go, before considering better headphones (in my opinion).  Maybe my source is coming into the equation here?  

What is "End Game" for you then, if the HE-500 and LCD-2 arent? I'm curious, no criticism

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,069 of 20,374
Quote:
So an O2 (or an M3) would be more than adequate to get them as far as most folks should go, before considering better headphones (in my opinion).  

I think I should caveat this part by saying "..IF folks are only looking for technical ability."  

Which isn't everything of course.  I prefer the HE-500 to the other two for that reason.

Ironically though, I think the HE-500 doesn't leverage my source enough to consider buying it, I think I would rather figure out a way to make the LCD-2 more comfortable (maybe by doing this), or by moving to Stax or speakers.  Haven't figured that out yet.

If I didn't have the Zodiac though, I would love to pick one of these up.

[Edited to be more concise.]

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #1,070 of 20,374
I have been using my newly aquired M^3 with the HE500s and am happy with the results.  Sound is more dynamic but retains the smoothness that is a HE500 trait.  Bass has  bloom,  nice change after a session with the HD800 which I plan on keeping.  The next step is to get the upgraded Sigma PSU to "kick it up a notch".

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,071 of 20,374
Glad to hear the M^3 is working for you.  I though it would.  There may be more to it than the power supply, but I have the Sigma PSU (2 in fact) in my beta22 and I get great base with my HE500.  I noticed even more improvement with the base in my HD800's, more quantity but still well controlled.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #1,073 of 20,374
They offer different colours including black so you should be good. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #1,074 of 20,374
Steve has some great colors at Q.  I got a purple and gold cable for my HE-500s (U of W school colors).  Unfortunately I'm traveling so I can't take pictures for a couple months.  He also is using silk sheath now as well.  

Silk + HE-500 = SEXY 

Quote:
Sorry if this has been discussed before but how does Q-cable match with HE500's.  As good as it does with the LCD-2?

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #1,075 of 20,374

I couldn't care less about colours or aesthetics- I was referring to a sonic match, not visual one- apologies for any confusion in my wording 
biggrin.gif

I know from experience that Q is great with the LCD-2 and was wondering if it is similarly good with the HE-500 (sonically).   Are there better cables for the HE500's (up to $200-$300 max)?

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #1,076 of 20,374
I love my TWag V2 but have not heard the Q so can't compare

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,077 of 20,374
I had the Norn v1 for the LCD-2 and the Q and Norn v1 for the HE-500.  Sonically, I find the Q and Norn v1 to be on par.  So, I think in the end you will like either Litz cable with the HE-500 if you liked it with your LCD-2.  Those same properties which allowed you to enjoy the Litz + LCD-2 combo will come through in the Litz + HE-500 combo.

Quote:
I couldn't care less about colours or aesthetics- I was referring to a sonic match, not visual one- apologies for any confusion in my wording 
biggrin.gif

I know from experience that Q is great with the LCD-2 and was wondering if it is similarly good with the HE-500 (sonically).   Are there better cables for the HE500's (up to $200-$300 max)?

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #1,078 of 20,374
Has anyone here taken a look inside their HE500s? What are the stock HE500 dampings used in the front and back of the driver?

Pictures would be very much appreciated but descriptive account of the damping would be helpful as well. I'm interested in doing some HE500esque damping for my HE400's (if they are even different, that is).

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #1,079 of 20,374
okay, thanks WNBC !

Edit:  Just reading back a bit.  Did you ever get to compare the Litz with a good silver cable one, such as one of the Moons?  Somebody mentioned that the Blue or Black Dragon had more bass presence. 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,080 of 20,374
I had the Moon Silver Dragon but did not find it as good as copper, especially the Litz configuration.  The Silver sounded muddied and lacked the transparency and sheen of the Litz cables.  To give credit to Drew at Moon, I've read that he recommends the Blue or Black Dragon with the HE-500.  I probably should have asked before buying the Silver V3.  Also, people have suggested an extensive burn-in period is required and I probably only did 100 of the 400 recommended hours.  It just happens the Litz sounds good with little burn-in so I currently have the Norn and Q.

Quote:
okay, thanks WNBC !

Edit:  Just reading back a bit.  Did you ever get to compare the Litz with a good silver cable one, such as one of the Moons?  Somebody mentioned that the Blue or Black Dragon had more bass presence. 
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back