HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 22, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #1,036 of 20,374
I might have missed a smiley in there, here we go again.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Perhaps I asked a dumb question, the description sounded like most other good amps out there.
biggrin.gif
But appreciate it, thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it reads closer to what I mean.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #1,037 of 20,374

Quote:
As our teachers would say, there is no such thing as a dumb question.

The EF6 is intriguing.  I wonder if they have already started shipping.  The website indicates pre-order but it also says pre-order pricing was good only to Jan. 31st and it is now March 22nd.  I also wish they had EF6 power in a non-pre-amp configuration.  Save a couple bucks for only those of us just with headphone rigs but I guess there is a need for having a good headphone amp and speaker pre-amp.  

I was wondering about that too.

But having a pre out shouldn't add much to cost, for most solid state headphone amp, all what's needed are a pair of RCA jacks and some hook up wires. And if they are feeling generous, they could add a toggle switch and that's about it.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #1,038 of 20,374
Good to know, I have no idea what electronics cost to build.  I imagine things like the HE-500 and Lyr being sold without huge markup.  Other gear I have no idea how much it costs to make.  Especially the IEMs.

Quote:
I was wondering about that too.

But having a pre out shouldn't add much to cost, for most solid state headphone amp, all what's needed are a pair of RCA jacks and some hook up wires. And if they are feeling generous, they could add a toggle switch and that's about it.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,039 of 20,374

Quote:
Good to know, I have no idea what electronics cost to build.  I imagine things like the HE-500 and Lyr being sold without huge markup.  Other gear I have no idea how much it costs to make.  Especially the IEMs.

Agreed. A lot of "audiophile" stuffs are like gourmet food IMHO. I liken it to going to a fancy restaurant and eat a $200 steak, while they sometime use really good beef, the beef cost no where near $200, the money mostly goes to the rent, chef and all those bling bling.
biggrin.gif

And because of that DIY presents a tremendous value if one got the know-how and time, just like home cooked meal.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,040 of 20,374
There are pretty good deals in food, just as there are pretty good deals in audio. The component cost in the BHSE is a lot higher than you'd think - $5k for that amp is, quite frankly, a crazy bargain in comparison to a lot of what's out there. $15-20k for an amp like that is not out of the question. And right next to my house there is a little Georgian family place (Georgia as in the Caucasus, not the good ol' USA) which makes some pretty amazing Georgian and Russian style food for a crazy good bargain too.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #1,044 of 20,374

Quote:
Anyone else care to share their opinions on the best solid state amp or DAC for the HE-500?  Looking for more opinions before I commit to buy something

Why limit choices to solid state?  I haven't heard everything out there, but I thought the Luxman P-1u was very good with the HE-500 - probably on par with my ZDT, and the best SS I've heard with the HE-500.  The EF6 would be my next choice.  My DACmini is a also pretty nice with HE-500, at a much lower price point and includes a DAC and amp in one.  The DACmini is slightly less warm sounding than the Luxman or ZDT though not cold or sterile at all.

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #1,045 of 20,374

Quote:
Anyone else care to share their opinions on the best solid state amp or DAC for the HE-500?  Looking for more opinions before I commit to buy something

I think you will find in this hobby there is no such thing as whats best as there will be six thousand different opinions for that. two amps that I thought were excellent with the HE500 in solid state designs were the V200 and the HR2 from ray Samuels. Both were outstanding and very musical.

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #1,046 of 20,374
Curious how the M^3 might perform with the HE-500?  Just purchased 1 off   the for sale forums.  I have been using the headphone amp in my Mcintosh CD player which is actually pretty good but hoping to get better bass with more power.  I tried the HE-500 with my Bottlehead Crack  and it was terrible.  

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,047 of 20,374

Quote:

I have a solid state beta 22 that works very well with my HE-500.  Although the power requirements for the HE-6 are greater, the HE-500 still likes a powerful amp.  The HE-500s are so smooth it is easy to give them a lot of power without any discomfort to my ears. 

With my Marantz 125W home theater, I have to really crank up the volume to get the HE-500s to sing.  I think I need more volume from the Marantz because it has a higher impedance than the b22.

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,048 of 20,374

Quote:
Curious how the M^3 might perform with the HE-500?  Just purchased 1 off   the for sale forums.  I have been using the headphone amp in my Mcintosh CD player which is actually pretty good but hoping to get better bass with more power.  I tried the HE-500 with my Bottlehead Crack  and it was terrible.  

Although I have not tried the combination, I think the M^3 is in the same "family" as the b22, so it should work well with the HE-500.  I look forward to your feedback once you try them together.

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,049 of 20,374
Mine sound great from my RudiStor RPX-100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back