HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 1, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #961 of 20,383
I received my HE-500 last night and still giving them a good listen before I pass any judgment. So far its neutrality has been very impressive, but I am not totally blown away.

I'm not sure if it is my source (EAC ripped CDs played with foobar2000 > HeadRoom Micro DAC & Micro Amp > HE-500) or that they aren't paired with a powerful enough amplifier. I spoke with Ben Thiede at HeadRoom and he said the Micro Amp should be fine to use with the HE-500.

Would there be something better to pair with these great cans? I was thinking maybe Burson HA-160D or Apex Hifi Butte?

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #964 of 20,383
I had a loaner Apex Butte for a couple weeks but way before I got the HE-500.  It sounded really good with the LCD-2 but only when I could throw something with a lot of voltage behind it using a CD player.  With the higher voltage that Butte was really amazing with plenty of slam/impact and clarity in the midrange.  The dynamics were not amazing when I tried it unbalanced from my DAC-2.  I also had the Schiit Lyr at the same time and found it to drive the orthos better than the Butte.  So if I had $500 or less to spend then I would pick up the $450 Lyr + $50 pair of tubes and be done.  If you're not looking to roll tubes then I guess the Lyr is off your radar.  No experience with the HA-160D.  So the Butte could be a good way to go but not necessarily if you don't have a powerful source to feed into it.  The small form factor of the Butte will be appealing to a lot of people.

Quote:
I received my HE-500 last night and still giving them a good listen before I pass any judgment. So far its neutrality has been very impressive, but I am not totally blown away.

I'm not sure if it is my source (EAC ripped CDs played with foobar2000 > HeadRoom Micro DAC & Micro Amp > HE-500) or that they aren't paired with a powerful enough amplifier. I spoke with Ben Thiede at HeadRoom and he said the Micro Amp should be fine to use with the HE-500.

Would there be something better to pair with these great cans? I was thinking maybe Burson HA-160D or Apex Hifi Butte?

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #965 of 20,383
I'm not terribly familiar with tube rolling. I have done it with extra tubes I have gotten when buying amps second hand, but other than that, not very familiar. I was looking at the Lyr and slowly working my way through this whole thread on the HE-500 to find out the consensus is as for a great matching amp. A Schiit Bifrost and Lyr seems to be a great pairing.

Quote:
I had a loaner Apex Butte for a couple weeks but way before I got the HE-500.  It sounded really good with the LCD-2 but only when I could throw something with a lot of voltage behind it using a CD player.  With the higher voltage that Butte was really amazing with plenty of slam/impact and clarity in the midrange.  The dynamics were not amazing when I tried it unbalanced from my DAC-2.  I also had the Schiit Lyr at the same time and found it to drive the orthos better than the Butte.  So if I had $500 or less to spend then I would pick up the $450 Lyr + $50 pair of tubes and be done.  If you're not looking to roll tubes then I guess the Lyr is off your radar.  No experience with the HA-160D.  So the Butte could be a good way to go but not necessarily if you don't have a powerful source to feed into it.  The small form factor of the Butte will be appealing to a lot of people.

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #966 of 20,383
 I have seen the V200, EF-5, burson 160D, Nuforce HDP, lyr and asgard mentioned in this thread.  From that list I I think I have things narrowed down to the v200, the 160D, and the asgard.  I don't really like the look of any tube amp currently available and would rather not deal with replacing, swapping, and researching tubes.

I like a brighter signature like the grado 325s.  Will all the amps on my simplified list do the trick?  Will one do it better than the other?

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #970 of 20,383
The cables seem to continue to be the sore point. I've had defective cables with both the HE-4 and the HE-500

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #973 of 20,383
I just cut off the cable at the beginning of the strain relief and used the extra connectors they provided with some heatshrink tube for strain relief. + wire should be cut a bit longer than the - end. The + end goes into the connector and should be soldered onto the pin that is inside the connector. The - end can be soldered on anywhere on the connector that not in contact with the + terminal. I ended up reusing one of the connectors but it's a pain in the behind to remove all the rubber stuff they put inside the chamber that houses the + terminal pin.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #974 of 20,383

Quote:
I just cut off the cable at the beginning of the strain relief and used the extra connectors they provided with some heatshrink tube for strain relief. + wire should be cut a bit longer than the - end. The + end goes into the connector and should be soldered onto the pin that is inside the connector. The - end can be soldered on anywhere on the connector that not in contact with the + terminal. I ended up reusing one of the connectors but it's a pain in the behind to remove all the rubber stuff they put inside the chamber that houses the + terminal pin.

I'm totally new to this, so you'll have to forgive me, but how can I tell the positive and negative wires apart?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back