HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #316 of 20,374
1/8 plug ?!?!?! Wow ! What a major turn-off. I was seriously thinking about getting the HE-500 but there is no way I will spend 900 $ on a pair of headphones that I'll have to use with a 1/4" adapter !!!! That's a weird business decision IMHO. Seems I'll have to go with the LCD-2.

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #317 of 20,374
Just have it reterminated, no big deal or email Fang and ask if they have one in 1/4 inch. Maybe they should just offer it either way, problem solved. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #318 of 20,374

Quote:
1/8 plug ?!?!?! Wow ! What a major turn-off. I was seriously thinking about getting the HE-500 but there is no way I will spend 900 $ on a pair of headphones that I'll have to use with a 1/4" adapter !!!! That's a weird business decision IMHO

That is what I was thinking. Luckily I had a balanced Q-audio cable made that will be waiting for when my set arrives.

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #320 of 20,374
I apologize for shipping delay. We have shipped most orders today. We will send tracking number later today or early tomorrow. 

Here is the story:

We originally decide to change the entire cable because the 6.35mm connector plus a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter will damage most portable 3.5mm jacks (HE-500's efficiency is high enough to drive by portable). On June 15th when I went to my factory, checked the cable we originally want to change to, and not satisfied. At the same time I noticed that we actually do not have to change the cable and we can still solve the problem. I decide to keep the original cable, and only change the plugs to 3.5mm mini, and provide a 3.5mm mini with a 6.35mm adapter. It took a week to get new mini plug from our vendors. As soon as we received the plugs, we start to ship out orders.

[size=medium]
what do u mean by solid 1/4" adapter? do the stock ones we get for free from headphone purchases not cut it? i thought its all standard stuff with no differences in sound but just a matter of convenience? 
confused.gif

[/size]

Head-direct posted that they were changing to a 1/8" plug with an adapter. Smeone said they'd be irritated by the change. I posted that people shouldn't worry about using a 1/4" adapter.

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #322 of 20,374
yeah, i understood that but what im getting at is that is there a noticeable difference in SQ when using an adapter and is there such a thing as 'audiophile' adapters. I can imagine marketing BS like 99.99999% OFC made headphone jack adapter coated with pixie dust to reduce noise interference etc etc.

Quote:
Quote:
I apologize for shipping delay. We have shipped most orders today. We will send tracking number later today or early tomorrow. 

Here is the story:

We originally decide to change the entire cable because the 6.35mm connector plus a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter will damage most portable 3.5mm jacks (HE-500's efficiency is high enough to drive by portable). On June 15th when I went to my factory, checked the cable we originally want to change to, and not satisfied. At the same time I noticed that we actually do not have to change the cable and we can still solve the problem. I decide to keep the original cable, and only change the plugs to 3.5mm mini, and provide a 3.5mm mini with a 6.35mm adapter. It took a week to get new mini plug from our vendors. As soon as we received the plugs, we start to ship out orders.

Quote:

[size=medium]
what do u mean by solid 1/4" adapter? do the stock ones we get for free from headphone purchases not cut it? i thought its all standard stuff with no differences in sound but just a matter of convenience? 
confused.gif

[/size]

Head-direct posted that they were changing to a 1/8" plug with an adapter. Smeone said they'd be irritated by the change. I posted that people shouldn't worry about using a 1/4" adapter.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #325 of 20,374
I'm just interested to hear the HE-500, fingers crossed that it will be here soon !

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #326 of 20,374
I received my HE-500 today and have been glued to my chair all evening. I´ll continue to do so a couple of days, and then switch back to my LCD-2s to compare. As far as the concern of the new 1/8" and 1/4" adapter goes; I have no strong opinion on that. However, I could have lived with the 1/4" only. If I would nit pick, I would say that the 1/4" adapter should have been able to fastened to the 1/8". E.g. threaded boss like the AKG 271 mkII. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #327 of 20,374

Quote:
I received my HE-500 today and have been glued to my chair all evening. I´ll continue to do so a couple of days, and then switch back to my LCD-2s to compare. As far as the concern of the new 1/8" and 1/4" adapter goes; I have no strong opinion on that. However, I could have lived with the 1/4" only. If I would nit pick, I would say that the 1/4" adapter should have been able to fastened to the 1/8". E.g. threaded boss like the AKG 271 mkII. 

so is it sticking in the amp. I am still waiting for tracking information and I have no idea why there service is so slow.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #328 of 20,374
I have tracking info, but I wish it had an estimated date of arrival. I prefer to have the estimated arrival date over the tracking info since the tracking info is always behind anyways.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #329 of 20,374

Quote:
I have tracking info, but I wish it had an estimated date of arrival. I prefer to have the estimated arrival date over the tracking info since the tracking info is always behind anyways.

what did it ship. Last time i got DHL and they were quick to post their up dates. At least you have a tracking number I have been promised one for a week and I have nothing. I am not used to getting service like this and wondering what has happened but it seems since Fang went back to China the service is getting slower and slower.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #330 of 20,374
DHL was the best, now they're using Fedex's basic service apparently (shipping takes about a week). They have an ETA on mine for this Wednesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back