HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 19, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #20,357 of 20,374
You need to get your headphones fixed. Where are you guys from?

Jan 19, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #20,359 of 20,374
Hifiman does repairs in Poland, not far from both of you. Alternative would be a friend of mine doing and also just mod it with 3.5mm connectors and all the other stuff (if desired)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #20,362 of 20,374
It is a easy fix if it's the wire inside the ear cup. You can solder the wire for the ear cup connector to the wire for the driver. If it's a problem with the connector, you can buy just the ear cup from hifiman and transplant the driver.
Make sure you protect the membrane when soldering, a splash on it will wreck your day. cardboard, non magnetic metal, etc. I've been soldering off and on including professionally for 55 years and soldering can be trivial or very difficult. With no or little experience I wouldn't advise going near it, and with a lot, I'd still be careful. I have had my 500's for 6+ years and have no interest in taking that job on - meanwhile I'm building a pair of 20+ element crossover and rebuilding my BHCs from scratch. Note: big time ventilation - lead and worse silver fumes are very bad for longevity.

Also watch banging the cups or pulling the cable its possible you could short them out and another bad day (unlikely, but why take a chance).

Feb 17, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #20,363 of 20,374
Make sure you protect the membrane when soldering, a splash on it will wreck your day. cardboard, non magnetic metal, etc. I've been soldering off and on including professionally for 55 years and soldering can be trivial or very difficult. With no or little experience I wouldn't advise going near it, and with a lot, I'd still be careful. I have had my 500's for 6+ years and have no interest in taking that job on - meanwhile I'm building a pair of 20+ element crossover and rebuilding my BHCs from scratch. Note: big time ventilation - lead and worse silver fumes are very bad for longevity.

Also watch banging the cups or pulling the cable its possible you could short them out and another bad day (unlikely, but why take a chance).
Good point...I learned to solder in high school shop and have done it maybe a handful of times in the last 20 years...but enjoy doing things like that. I had to transplant my og HE5 driver a total of 2 times. 1st wood cup cracked, 2nd wood cup cracked, finally put them in a plastic cup the third time. They've been fine since.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #20,364 of 20,374
Official that I sold almost all of my collection now in favor of the HE-500 and HD600 combo. I have a few Ultrasones I kept as my closed backs.

I don't find myself feeling any regret or missing the other stuff.

These do the lions share of what the rest of the headphones can do out there, I've found through personal experience.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #20,365 of 20,374
Official that I sold almost all of my collection now in favor of the HE-500 and HD600 combo. I have a few Ultrasones as closed. I don't find myself feeling any regret or missing the other stuff. These do the lions share of what the rest of the headphones can do out there.
Solid combo that should cover most, if not all, genres out there.

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #20,366 of 20,374
Solid combo that should cover most, if not all, genres out there.
It does, you can drain as much you want out of a wallet but IMO this is the best bang for the buck for everything.

Both well balanced dynamic / planar combo so you're set.

I also feel like if I was being real minimalistic here, I could live with one or the other.

The 500 IMO is the better, faster, more defined and resolving set but the 600 doesn't fall too far behind and the 600 has the advantage for comfort.

I also personally think a little variety is fun and keeps listening more fun than always grabbing the same set.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #20,367 of 20,374
It does, you can drain as much you want out of a wallet but IMO this is the best bang for the buck for everything.

Both well balanced dynamic / planar combo so you're set.

I also feel like if I was being real minimalistic here, I could live with one or the other.

The 500 IMO is the better, faster, more defined and resolving set but the 600 doesn't fall too far behind and the 600 has the advantage for comfort.
We've been in close step on these for some time. I heard a number of much more expensive and some better cans than those two and my 6 SE at a meet, but none of them was much better, Upgradeitis is always a temptation, but want isn't need. My 3 cans have outlasted 17 other headphones and two speakers I had over the past 8 years - that's not a bad thing at all.

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #20,368 of 20,374
We've been in close step on these for some time. I heard a number of much more expensive and some better cans than those two and my 6 SE at a meet, but none of them was much better, Upgradeitis is always a temptation, but want isn't need. My 3 cans have outlasted 17 other headphones and two speakers I had over the past 8 years - that's not a bad thing at all.
Exactly and a lot of those "upgrades" come with their own drawbacks like more treble extension and stuff but you end up with a more fatiguing headphone for longer listening sessions... I believe the HE-500 and HD-600 get me very close without going overboard.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #20,369 of 20,374
Exactly and a lot of those "upgrades" come with their own drawbacks like more treble extension and stuff but you end up with a more fatiguing headphone for longer listening sessions... I believe the HE-500 and HD-600 get me very close without going overboard.

I'm with you and bagwell on this whole concept................I've auditioned/owned/tested/shared over 60 headphones over the last 10 years. It was a fun thing to keep trying new ones and I learned a lot...............mostly what I like, what I don't like and ended up with the HE-500, HE-6SE and a Denon LA7000 for the closed back side as the headphones I listen to regularly and am finally content. Still have a Denon MD2000 that I use at work occasionally and still love it as well as a Pioneer SE Master 1 that I'm going to sell as soon as I get off my ass and do it. Like it a lot but it gets no play..................as well as a Beats Studio 3 (yeah, I know, sacrilege) that I use for travel and for cutting the grass but the HFM pair get all my use at home through the speaker taps on my Pioneer Spec system.

Never thought I'd get to this point but it was tiring after a while to keep buying/selling/trading and maybe, just maybe, I'm good for the duration. :)

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #20,370 of 20,374
I'm with you and bagwell on this whole concept................I've auditioned/owned/tested/shared over 60 headphones over the last 10 years. It was a fun thing to keep trying new ones and I learned a lot...............mostly what I like, what I don't like and ended up with the HE-500, HE-6SE and a Denon LA7000 for the closed back side as the headphones I listen to regularly and am finally content. Still have a Denon MD2000 that I use at work occasionally and still love it as well as a Pioneer SE Master 1 that I'm going to sell as soon as I get off my ass and do it. Like it a lot but it gets no play..................as well as a Beats Studio 3 (yeah, I know, sacrilege) that I use for travel and for cutting the grass but the HFM pair get all my use at home through the speaker taps on my Pioneer Spec system.

Never thought I'd get to this point but it was tiring after a while to keep buying/selling/trading and maybe, just maybe, I'm good for the duration. :)
Exactly my feelings as well. It was fun to demo in and out many pairs but I've come full circle back the the few I've loved the most. You do get tired of the re-selling and especially lately it seems a lot of gear has really fallen price wise from where it used to be. I think the market just became overly flushed with products. Gets tiring listing and waiting for buyers - more of a chore than it used to be when gear would always sell quick. The good ole' days. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back