HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 21, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #20,311 of 20,374
One shocking thing I did today was pull out my old (dusty) Audio GD 11.28 from the closet.

I don't like either HE-500 or HE6SE V2 on it, at all. Highs simply too aggressive. Not enjoyable. However, the HD600 sounds great here - aggressive and punchy with it.

I actually wouldn't even recommend HE-500 or HE6SE V2 if NFB 11.28 was my only amp. Goes to show how important amp synergy is because they are both amazing on a Deckard.

Deckard amp does some brilliant work in smoothing out to the top end which I find is exactly what I personally need on the two Hifiman planars. Amplifier choice really does make a big difference for certain headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #20,312 of 20,374
With the knowledge that I'll be using the HE-500's for years to come, I set out to try and find the perfect sounding ear pad (for me) to get the most out of the HE-500's. It didn't go well.... After 6 months and over 55 ear pads I had mostly given up. Every single pad I tried would fix one aspect while breaking another, and while there are lots of decent sounding pads out there I couldn't find one that has a truly balanced sound. Finally I stumbled on this post from @Hansotek earlier in this thread, and with some minor changes that turned out to be the sound I was looking for. The tutorial for the mod is:

Hansotek's FocusPad-A Mod

Long story short, it's a Hifiman Focus Pad-A where you take the spacer ring from Hifimans "Leather" earpads, poke some holes in the spacer, then wedge the spacer ring behind the mounting rings on the Focus Pad-A. Optionally bass ports can be added and the entire setup can be taped for a better seal. In my case I found that I preferred the regular Focus Pad (not "A"), and without poking any holes in the spacer or taping it. The Focus Pad-A is brighter, less detailed, etched, and with less balance compared to the regular Focus Pad. However the "A" may be preferred on warmer or fuzzier sounding setups to correct those issues.

Great bass, exceptional detail, correct timbre, a holographic stage without loss of dynamics, and comfortable. The only potential fault I notice is that I would like some additional left/right stage, but that could break the balance of the pad.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #20,313 of 20,374
With the knowledge that I'll be using the HE-500's for years to come, I set out to try and find the perfect sounding ear pad (for me) to get the most out of the HE-500's. It didn't go well.... After 6 months and over 55 ear pads I had mostly given up. Every single pad I tried would fix one aspect while breaking another, and while there are lots of decent sounding pads out there I couldn't find one that has a truly balanced sound. Finally I stumbled on this post from @Hansotek earlier in this thread, and that turned out to be the sound I was looking for. The tutorial for the mod is:

Hansotek's FocusPad-A Mod

Long story short, it's a Hifiman Focus Pad-A where you take the spacer ring from Hifimans "Leather" earpads, poke some holes in the spacer, then wedge the spacer ring behind the mounting rings on the Focus Pad-A. Optionally bass ports can be added and the entire setup can be taped for a better seal, but I haven't done those yet. Great bass, exceptional detail, correct timbre, a holographic stage without loss of dynamics, and comfortable. The only potential fault I notice is that I would like some additional left/right stage, but that could break the balance of the pad.
That mod for the Focus-A pads looks interesting though, I'll have to try it out. Funny, I was just about to post on here how amazing I think the Focus-A pads are on the HE-500, even without any modifications. I've been using the HE-500 with those pads recently and have been just blown away by how natural the timbre is, to the point where they sound nearly as natural as the HD650, something I would never say of any other non-Sennheiser headphone. And adding EQ to the mix makes them even better. The Sundara pads may give the HE-500 slightly tighter bass, but the midrange naturalness and soundstage increase with the Focus-A is worth the compromise I think.

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #20,316 of 20,374
Good day! Has anyone tried the ear pads for Hifiman he 500 from Brainwavz hybrid xl?
I have them. They replaced the original velour pads. What you have to do is measure the outside diameter of the mounting ring where the pad mounts to.

That's the size pad you need. But so I had more of a choice, I 3D printed a mounting ring that was a few mm bigger, and now it takes 100 or 105mm rings. You use the existing holes for the screws, and if you feel the need, you can put a little Loctite on each screw just to make sure the new ones stay put.

Once you get the mounting ring size, there's your inside diameter for the pads, which is the size in mm they show in listings for pads. Usually 100, 105, 110mm, etc.

To print the rings took me about 90miins, or a bit less. If anyone is interested, just search Hifiman on Printables dot com and Thingiverse dot com. If there are multiple results, go for the newest model. The finish was much smoother.

Sorry if you knew most of this, but fingers crossed it helps someone else out in the future as well.

Edit: spelling.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #20,317 of 20,374
I have them. They replaced the original velour pads. What you have to do is measure the outside diameter of the mounting ring where the pad mounts to.

That's the size pad you need. But so I had more of a choice, I 3D printed a mounting ring that was a few mm bigger, and now it takes 100 or 105mm rings. You use the existing holes for the screws, and if you feel the need, you can put a little Loctite on each screw just to make sure the new ones stay put.

Once you get the mounting ring size, there's your inside diameter for the pads, which is the size in mm they show in listings for pads. Usually 100, 105, 110mm, etc.

To print the rings took me about 90miins, or a bit less. If anyone is interested, just search Hifiman on Printables dot com and Thingiverse dot com. If there are multiple results, go for the newest model. The finish was much smoother.

Sorry if you knew most of this, but fingers crossed it helps someone else out in the future as well.

Edit: spelling.
And how is the sound? is the sound not distorted?

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #20,318 of 20,374
No pro
And how is the sound? is the sound not distorted?
No problems at all. It's a comfortable fit for my ear shape, but adding a gel padded headband cover helps the weight distribution a lot. Takes the weight off your ears and the top of your head. Just don't tilt your head too far from level/perpendicular as the gel pad raises the centre of gravity a bit.

How would the sound get distorted?

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #20,319 of 20,374
No pro

No problems at all. It's a comfortable fit for my ear shape, but adding a gel padded headband cover helps the weight distribution a lot. Takes the weight off your ears and the top of your head. Just don't tilt your head too far from level/perpendicular as the gel pad raises the centre of gravity a bit.

How would the sound get distorted?
Well, different ear pads give different sound

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #20,320 of 20,374
Good day! Has anyone tried the ear pads for Hifiman he 500 from Brainwavz hybrid xl?
The Hybrid XL's didn't sound right to me, but I'm failing to remember exactly why at the moment. I tried all of the XL's with the exception of the Gel Microsuede as I think those were discontinued by the time I got around to them. Sadly none of the Brainwavz were right for me on the HE-500's. The PU's were far too dark, the leathers too bright/thin, Microsuede had a lack of detail and some strangeness in the timbre. The solids were boomy, the perforated were too airy and distant. Just one opinion though, YMMV.

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #20,321 of 20,374
Well, different ear pads give different sound
Yes, well when I got mine off the original owner, the pads were at least 7 yrs old and had seen better days.

I should correct myself by saying since there is more room between the driver and my ears, they may feel a bit more distant, but I adjust quickly to different 'phones. This, headphone reviews aren't any sort of career choice for me in this lifetime.

So, to my ears, I had no benchmark to set the sound against when I pad rolled, so I can't be objective about whether the pads are better or worse, just different.

But then again, I got this pair off the original owner for $200 Australian, so it's just all new fun for me.

I think the Fuzzor mod may bring more noticeable results, but it might have to be pointed out what it does, by listening to a modded pair right after an original pair.

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #20,323 of 20,374
I had my last listening session 2 days ago. Unique flavor until this today, irreplacable.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #20,324 of 20,374
Any time I put the HE500 on after a listening session with other cans, no matter how purportedly good or expensive the other headphones are, is like breathing new life into the music. They are my quintessential "reference" headphone for anything Jazz related which accounts for the majority of my listening. The weight and breadth of each note is still astonishing after all these years. I've owned cans 12x the price of the HE500 and currently own the Diana TC. Most modern planars sound absolutely lean and light compared to it, lacking body definition to notes. The HE500 reproduces horns with pin point harmonic fidelity and follows through the entire sound spectra with a full weighty bite most cans I auditioned are lacking.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #20,325 of 20,374
Any time I put the HE500 on after a listening session with other cans, no matter how purportedly good or expensive the other headphones are, is like breathing new life into the music. They are my quintessential "reference" headphone for anything Jazz related which accounts for the majority of my listening. The weight and breadth of each note is still astonishing after all these years. I've owned cans 12x the price of the HE500 and currently own the Diana TC. Most modern planars sound absolutely lean and light compared to it, lacking body definition to notes. The HE500 reproduces horns with pin point harmonic fidelity and follows through the entire sound spectra with a full weighty bite most cans I auditioned are lacking.
If they had it once, they still have it.

Because something is older, 5, 10, 30 years old, if it did the job when it came out, compared to the real thing, why wouldn't it now? You are right, it easily still is good and no reason it shouldn't be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back