HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 7, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #20,222 of 20,374
The 500 is incredible, absolutely glorious headphone, buying at $200 Australian ($130 USD??!?!) - I am confident you my friend may have secured the single best deal in audio, like ever?
Pretty close! But I think we all come across a deal like that where you're in the right place at the right time, and you have the $ and the means (transport, time) to get it.

You can also see it as a 'graduation' present. So they can be seen as me graduating from the HE5XX. And also graduating in terms of product knowledge. As it stands, I'll have to make a pretty big jump to justify any further upgrades. I have the 2 Hifimans, and 2 Ultrasones (DXP & Pro 2900).

My Fiio K5Pro drives them all very easily, so maybe one day I'll update my DAP (Hiby R3 Pro Saber), but I'm in no rush, as again, any upgrade for the DAP, I'm looking at spending at least US$500+. Something at the level of a Hiby R6/R6Pro or above.

So it might be finding a near-new 2nd hand item and let someone else take a loss because they had a worse case of New-Gear-itis (or wife to me to sell it disease) than I did.

Aug 7, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #20,223 of 20,374
Pretty close! But I think we all come across a deal like that where you're in the right place at the right time, and you have the $ and the means (transport, time) to get it.

You can also see it as a 'graduation' present. So they can be seen as me graduating from the HE5XX. And also graduating in terms of product knowledge. As it stands, I'll have to make a pretty big jump to justify any further upgrades. I have the 2 Hifimans, and 2 Ultrasones (DXP & Pro 2900).

My Fiio K5Pro drives them all very easily, so maybe one day I'll update my DAP (Hiby R3 Pro Saber), but I'm in no rush, as again, any upgrade for the DAP, I'm looking at spending at least US$500+. Something at the level of a Hiby R6/R6Pro or above.

So it might be finding a near-new 2nd hand item and let someone else take a loss because they had a worse case of New-Gear-itis (or wife to me to sell it disease) than I did.
Very true! I've come across a few deals myself that were just stupid good.

Aug 7, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #20,224 of 20,374
Very true! I've come across a few deals myself that were just stupid good.
For me, it's a matter of learning what stuff is still good irrespective of age. Three examples; speakers, headphones & turntables. If the actual driver was good (in the case of speakers) when it was new, and be repaired/replaced then it'll still be good. But other things like mobile phones or TV'S are the opposite, along with AV receivers, but but amps by themselves (monoblocks or stereo) fall into the former category with speakers.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #20,225 of 20,374
Hi everyone! I just got a used pair of HE-500's. I can't get over how good these sound! I'm honestly still picking my jaw off the floor. Wow! :)

Does anyone know what pads are on these? I want to pick up some extras, if they are still being made, as they sound amazing and are super comfortable. Also any similar recommendations would be very appreciated!

The pads also had 3D printed mounts.

he500 pads 2.jpg
he500 pads 1.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #20,226 of 20,374
Those look like Dekoni Perforated. I had TH900 dekoni perforated pads that actually worked, fit on the Hifiman rings.

I'm not sure completely but it looks very similar.

I sold my pair literally 2 weeks ago... here's the images you can see if it seems like a match.

I personally didn't love the pads on them but they weren't bad either.

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 11.06.47 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 11.06.54 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-08 at 11.07.01 PM.png

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #20,227 of 20,374
They look like perforated sheepskin. I have the same on mine, but I also have the hybrid (velour/PU leather). Well done on getting one with 3d printed mounts, as you can use the 100mm range of Brainwavz pads. To remove them, hook your finger on the inside (where the pad goes around the top of your ear) and push up.

You'll see the sleeve thing pop out of the channel the 3D mount makes. Then you can gently pull it off. To put it back on you just gently hook a section about 1-2 inches (3-5 cm) in that channel, then use your fingers to stretch the lip on the back of the pad back into the channel. Don't worry too much if when you look side on & it appears not to be evenly in. It stays there.

There are actually 3 sizes of 3D printed mounts, 98, 104, & 108mm The 108 is for the XL Brainwavz pads, but there's more choice with the 100mm size.The 100mm pad stretches on to the 98mm ring.

With the headband, you can either do a transplant and do the HE-400 hybrid headband, or, if you can't get them from where you are, you can get a padded cover that zips on, and that eases any hotspots, and distributes the weight better. Put them on and adjust the sliders so they're fitting nice. If you have at least half an inch (about 1.5 cm) of the slider left above the knob it goes through, the headband pad will fit on your head and you have adjustment room to push the sliders all the way to the stopper bumps.

P.S. Nice cables!

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #20,228 of 20,374
Those look like Dekoni Perforated. I had TH900 dekoni perforated pads that actually worked, fit on the Hifiman rings.

I sold my pair literally 2 weeks ago... here's the images you can see if it seems like a match.

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 11.06.54 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-08 at 11.07.01 PM.png
If you look at the last picture here, see that small lip? The Brainwavz lip is about twice the size of that. These both fit the same way, and the Dekonis look like they'd be a neater fit as there is less lip to fit in the channel.

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #20,229 of 20,374
If you look at the last picture here, see that small lip? The Brainwavz lip is about twice the size of that. These both fit the same way, and the Dekonis look like they'd be a neater fit as there is less lip to fit in the channel.

Thanks! :) This was a big help! I'll definitely check out the Brainwavz pads. Those look very similar.

I found some 110mm pu leather perforated pads on Ebay at matched my measurements and ordered them. I also purchased some mounts from China, as the 3d printed ones are delicate. Mine are 110mm and the ones I purchased are close at 105mm.

110mm pads

Mounting Rings

These big pu leather perf pads really sound amazing! The pair I have definitely need replacing soon. I tried some other pads I have on hand, but none sound nearly as good as these.

pads.jpg
mounts.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #20,230 of 20,374

Those look really close! Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Aug 9, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #20,232 of 20,374
Thanks! :) This was a big help! I'll definitely check out the Brainwavz pads. Those look very similar.

I found some 110mm pu leather perforated pads on Ebay at matched my measurements and ordered them. I also purchased some mounts from China, as the 3d printed ones are delicate. Mine are 110mm and the ones I purchased are close at 105mm.

110mm pads

Mounting Rings

These big pu leather perf pads really sound amazing! The pair I have definitely need replacing soon. I tried some other pads I have on hand, but none sound nearly as good as these.

pads.jpgmounts.jpg
These rings will be for Hifiman pads with the plastic ring stuck to the back of the pad. The 110mm pads will fit the 108mm 3d printed rings.

Aug 9, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #20,233 of 20,374
If you have access to a 3D printer, here's a link to the rings i made. I was wrong with the sizes i quoted before, there's only a 98 & 104 mm ring. For mine i used the 98mm ring and the 100mm pads wre a snug fit. For the 105mm pads, use the 1-4mm version.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2702052/files

If you don't have a 3D printer, see if there is a Makerspace or 3D printing group nearby that could do it. They use very little material and for a pair they should take around an hour to print.

Aug 9, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #20,234 of 20,374
My Fiio K5Pro drives them all very easily
Nice score!

According to the published stats and prior experience you may not be getting full bass impact on the 500.

Read back in the thread, lots of posts re: pads, cables, EQ, fuzzor mod, rear screens, etc.

My path (I'm a tweaker) is Angled Leather pads (DCA Ether Angled), O2 free cable (looks like ur good), change rear screens to more open. The key mod is "fuzzor", and the EQ via parametric (fixed freq won't do the job).

Aug 9, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #20,235 of 20,374
Nice score!

According to the published stats and prior experience you may not be getting full bass impact on the 500.

Read back in the thread, lots of posts re: pads, cables, EQ, fuzzor mod, rear screens, etc.

My path (I'm a tweaker) is Angled Leather pads (DCA Ether Angled), O2 free cable (looks like ur good), change rear screens to more open. The key mod is "fuzzor", and the EQ via parametric (fixed freq won't do the job).
Will do the Fuzzor mod sooner or later, got the self adhesive felt. I have Arctic Grills installed. My version was a later model with the 'look at them and they tangle' silver cables and the travel case (not the box).

When I finish spending on my latest hobby, 3D printing I might look at upgrading my DAP from my Hiby R3 Pro Saber. It has it's MSEB thing which kinda works. But it's a bit of a jump price wise in Australia to a decent android DAP (about twice the price of the current R3 Pro Saber to get an R6Pro), then I can put a decent EQ app on it.

I don't know how much the DCA pads are where you live, but here in Australia they run at about US$90-110 a pair ($130-160 Australian). I paid $200 Australian for my 500's. At the moment, that's a good case of over-capitalisation.

I've done that already. I got into 3D printing because Hifiman wanted to charge $40 postage (about $26-28 US) postage for the grill retention clips. If I was in the States, free post. They're sent from China to the US, then to Australia... So I decided that I'll just 3D print them! AU$2000 later, haven't done them yet!

I'll play with my Brainwavz Velour, Hybrid (PU/Velour), & Sheepskin leather pads for the time being. Those 3 set me back less than Aust$90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back