HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 21, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #20,191 of 20,386
What is everyone else using as their long term pads for the HE-500's? I'm quite happy with my setup, but in the never ending interest of getting the absolute most out of the HE-500's I would like to keep trying other pads to see what other flavors are out there. What pads have you been using long term that you are happy with?

At this point I'm familiar with:
  • Hifiman Velour
  • Hifiman Velpad for HE400S
  • Hifiman Leather
  • Hifiman Palipad
  • Hifiman FocusPad
  • Hifiman FocusPad-A
  • Dekoni Elite Velour
  • DCA Ether and Voce Angled
  • Large Brainwavz (all types)
I have used the Dekoni Elite hybrid for a few years now.

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #20,192 of 20,386
I have used the Dekoni Elite hybrid for a few years now.
Excellent, thank you! I'll try these pads next. If anyone else is enjoying non-standard pads, let me know.

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #20,193 of 20,386
What is everyone else using as their long term pads for the HE-500's? I'm quite happy with my setup, but in the never ending interest of getting the absolute most out of the HE-500's I would like to keep trying other pads to see what other flavors are out there. What pads have you been using long term that you are happy with?

• Hifiman Velour
  • Hifiman Leather
  • Hifiman Palipad
  • Hifiman FocusPad
  • Hifiman FocusPad-A
  • Dekoni Elite Velour

I'm an absolute purist when it comes to pads: just been using the stock velour pads. I've tried other pads, but they always changed the sound in a way I didn't like, and the comfort is just fine with the originals.

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #20,194 of 20,386
I'm an absolute purist when it comes to pads: just been using the stock velour pads. I've tried other pads, but they always changed the sound in a way I didn't like, and the comfort is just fine with the originals.
Me too on the 500! Stock velour is my favorite for them, never found anything I liked more.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #20,195 of 20,386

• Hifiman Velour
  • Hifiman Leather
  • Hifiman Palipad
  • Hifiman FocusPad
  • Hifiman FocusPad-A
  • Dekoni Elite Velour
I recently fitted these

Defean Replacement Earpad Velvet Leatherette and Soft Foam Ear Pads for Hifiman HE400 400I 400S HE560 560I HE500 300 350 HE3 5 6 Headphones​

Kind of a budget dekoni from Amazon , No complaints , they also have a sheepskin version

Jul 22, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #20,196 of 20,386
@Sebbai might have a few links too from his extensive HE6 pad experiments

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #20,197 of 20,386
I have had mine for years. Never really liked the connectors but have never had a problem with the connectors or the headphones.

And to your complain of bumping the thread, isn't that what you just did? You have a pair to sell? :^)
Got mine in '18, and I've been probably the biggest booster (in terms of posts at least) since that time at HF. For sure the general resurgence/wave for the OG 6, and no more 6 SE's on Adorama, and the 500's distinctive sound - and the consensus that nothing else now is a true replacement fuels interest.

I'm putting mine out for sale - with the DCA Angled pads plus other pads, Black Dragon cable, fuzzor mod, original rear screens & box. Interested folks can PM me

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #20,198 of 20,386
@Sebbai might have a few links too from his extensive HE6 pad experiments
Also on SBAF there are a lot of posts/graphs for the 6/500/etc. That's the place I heard about the DCA Ether pads.

Jul 22, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #20,199 of 20,386
I have had mine for years. Never really liked the connectors but have never had a problem with the connectors or the headphones.
I never liked the connectors on my 500 So I had moon audio hardwire them with a wireworld silver eclipse 6 cable & couldn't.be happier
I use the focus A pads.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #20,200 of 20,386
500's distinctive sound - and the consensus that nothing else now is a true replacement fuels interest.

I'm putting mine out for sale

Lo & behold
1690153935547.png
you pretty much wrote half of the pages in this very thread so I guess it's time to consider switching boats huh
oh-la-vache-eh.gif
, 6SEV2 it is then?

Real deal with 500 is extracting its drivers from that craptastic shell then you get to realize how uncomfy its nasty headband really is and how much SMC acts a major bottleneck, as it was designed to transport coax signals and never meant for analog audio anyhow.

Not to mention that with stock shell rolling earpads mostly boils down to polishing a turd IME.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #20,201 of 20,386
Very crappy headphones, way obsolete and good for the trash really

You mentioned obsolete. The HE-500's have a vivid sound that I haven't heard on any other headphone, save for the HE-400. I certainly haven't tried even a fraction of all the headphones out there though. What headphone is an upgrade of the same HE-500 sound under $2k (not including the HE-6)?

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #20,202 of 20,386
You mentioned obsolete. The HE-500's have a vivid sound that I haven't heard on any other headphone, save for the HE-400. I certainly haven't tried even a fraction of all the headphones out there though. What headphone is an upgrade of the same HE-500 sound under $2k (not including the HE-6)?

You've already got it with the 6SE V2. But with the warm lush mids? Not sure there!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #20,203 of 20,386
You still like the HE400 despite owning 500/6SE?

That's the one in the lineup I can't get along with - too sharp and piercing of a treble spike for me and kinda wonky sounding.

Jul 24, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #20,204 of 20,386
Yes, I'm still using the HE-400 daily and I love it. It's not as refined or capable as the HE-500, but to me they are quite different. Almost like they are different lineages. The HE-500 is warm and vivid wheras the HE-400 is clear, almost lean, and more raw sounding in general. I use the HE-500's for games/tv/movies since the HE-500 is more accurate, and the 400's for music since they are more visceral.

When I first got the HE-400's they were wonky and sharp with their stock leather pads. I ended up trying all of the Hifiman pads to fix it. In the end I found the Palipads eliminated that wonkyness in my setup, and expanded the stage in a way that makes them great for music.

Jul 24, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #20,205 of 20,386
Lo & behold you pretty much wrote half of the pages in this very thread so I guess it's time to consider switching boats huh, 6SEV2 it is then?

Real deal with 500 is extracting its drivers from that craptastic shell then you get to realize how uncomfy its nasty headband really is and how much SMC acts a major bottleneck, as it was designed to transport coax signals and never meant for analog audio anyhow.

Not to mention that with stock shell rolling earpads mostly boils down to polishing a turd IME.
Yeah, it's with mixed feelings. I'm going for a Raal CA-1a, and need the bucks. My 6 SE v1 might go too. The Voce is the first can the rocked the boat - but the $$ needed is quite serious. CA-1a w/ the filter is a revelation. The HEK Stealth is the last can that has a shot, I'll be hearing that within 2 weeks, but, its a steep hill to climb.

I use a 4XX headband which is better by a good measure over the stock. SMC isn't ideal, but soldering 24 ga wires adjacent to the driver gives me a shiver.

I found my pad. Fuzzor mod, OFC free cables, rear grill off, a little dynamat (cut excess bass resonance) makes them go.

Add: I still endorse them, and there is a unique signature to them, but if I had a significant upgrade in hand how much would I listen to them? The HD-600/BHCs is going to get evaluated the same way. If I have what is a TOTL to me....?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back