HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 28, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #19,757 of 20,374
Many folks in the Susvara thread run theirs with. 2 speaker amps and seem very happy :wink:
Happy is nice. But is it necessary? HE-6 six screw, HE-6se (both v1 and v2) and Susvara are all listed as needing the same amount of power to drive them. I've had the first 3 on my amp and 3:30 on gain 2 (out of 3) is it for me. Gain 3 is another 10 db and permanent hearing loss.

Now, what about the guys with the Jadis, Pass X-250?, etc. Is that ego talking? Sure it's good maybe great, but is it necessary?

Oct 29, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #19,758 of 20,374
I can't really prove it unfortunately, but I've seen a post at SBAF that somehow showed a measurement that there is a bit of difference between the gain options in terms of stage width at least
Actually found that SBAF page with the measurements for Eco vs Normal vs Turbo I referred to, and they're all relative to gain:

https://superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/ifi-micro-idsd-bl-review-and-measurements.8842/

Further, the maximum power output difference between the 3 modes are different, so that can lend to differences in granularity between volume differences. Subjective impressions may vary so there's nothing definitive until proper ABX testing is done. YMMV but the Normal mode is really all that's needed and I can't go beyond noon setting even with pre-gain lowered and EQ applied on the HE-500.

Oct 29, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #19,759 of 20,374
I completed a little refresh of my HE500 last night.

- Replaced the headband with the Hifiman “comfort” headband
- Removed the fabric screen on the grilles
- Replaced the plastic trim rings with Aluminum

Current pic:
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 8.37.40 AM.png

The headband mod was a little scary (drilling) but now that I've done it, I could probably do another in minutes. It's a tremendous comfort and aesthetics upgrade, although I do wish it didn't say "HE400i" on the side. I might cover that with electrical tape.
The aluminum trim rings make it more difficult to get the pads seated, but I think they are a more flush fit now.
I also ordered FocusPads, but they arrived completely destroyed, so I am waiting for a replacement.

Separately - A few years ago, I designed ear pad adapters for the HE500 (Link) that I made available on Thingiverse (Here). I now have a set that is unused; If anyone is in the NYC area and wants to try them, let me know.

Oct 29, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #19,761 of 20,374
I completed a little refresh of my HE500 last night.

- Replaced the headband with the Hifiman “comfort” headband
- Removed the fabric screen on the grilles
- Replaced the plastic trim rings with Aluminum

Current pic:
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 8.37.40 AM.png

The headband mod was a little scary (drilling) but now that I've done it, I could probably do another in minutes. It's a tremendous comfort and aesthetics upgrade, although I do wish it didn't say "HE400i" on the side. I might cover that with electrical tape.
The aluminum trim rings make it more difficult to get the pads seated, but I think they are a more flush fit now.
I also ordered FocusPads, but they arrived completely destroyed, so I am waiting for a replacement.

Separately - A few years ago, I designed ear pad adapters for the HE500 (Link) that I made available on Thingiverse (Here). I now have a set that is unused; If anyone is in the NYC area and wants to try them, let me know.
Interesting and cool. I never tried the aluminum rings, that sounds interesting indeed.

I had a MD-4XX headband lying about (better than plugged in) and got to switch the round face HE-500 "button" to ID it.

Have you tried the fuzzor mod, the single most crucial IMO for the 500? Cuts down reverb and cancellation. Much cleaner mids and less jagged highs.

Not a fan of the stock cables. Microphonic and emphasize the ringing in the treble. Just going to a O2 cable (DIY or manufactured) settles things down.

Oct 29, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #19,762 of 20,374
Interesting and cool. I never tried the aluminum rings, that sounds interesting indeed.

I had a MD-4XX headband lying about (better than plugged in) and got to switch the round face HE-500 "button" to ID it.

Have you tried the fuzzor mod, the single most crucial IMO for the 500? Cuts down reverb and cancellation. Much cleaner mids and less jagged highs.

Not a fan of the stock cables. Microphonic and emphasize the ringing in the treble. Just going to a O2 cable (DIY or manufactured) settles things down.

Yes, I'm aware of the Fuzzor mod, but really not interested.
My stock cable crapped out very early into my ownership. I cut it up and used the wire for a million other mods and soldering projects over the years. Right now I'm using a cheap Aliexpress cable for SE, and a balanced cable I made from a TH-X00 cable.

If I do any more mods to this headphone, I think it'll be changing the jacks to 3.5mm.

Oct 29, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #19,763 of 20,374
Those are not headphones :)

Yes, they're monsters, but very good ones at that :D

But is it necessary?

OF course not, but for some that's the way to go it turns out :L3000:

guys with the Jadis, Pass X-250?, etc. Is that ego talking?

Some folks have such amps and Susvaras, they like that combo better than regular headphone amps and I doubt anyone would use that in the long run if it didn't sound good :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 29, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #19,764 of 20,374
OK, but its easy and reversable.
My stock cable crapped out very early into my ownership. I cut it up and used the wire for a million other mods and soldering projects over the years. Right now I'm using a cheap Aliexpress cable for SE, and a balanced cable I made from a TH-X00 cable.
I too used mine for some other projects. TH-X00 probably appreciates that cable.
If I do any more mods to this headphone, I think it'll be changing the jacks to 3.5mm.
Yes, the 3.5mm is a wise move, never did it because a pair of aftermarket cables came to me very cheap.

Good to have experienced hands in the 500 thread.

Oct 29, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #19,765 of 20,374
Yes, they're monsters, but very good ones at that :D

OF course not, but for some that's the way to go it turns out :L3000:

Some folks have such amps and Susvaras, they like that combo better than regular headphone amps and I doubt anyone would use that in the long run if it didn't sound good :wink:
I figured some one would come back to discuss this line. Sure if you have great equipment already in hand why not? OK, they are not who I am talking about.

I'm aimed at the folks (seen some in the HE-6 world) that ask after stereo amps/pre-amps of big voltage and/or high price tags, and the folks that have them answer back. There is a belief among some that the HE-6 cannot realize its best sound w/o lots of watts. Now if the headphone amps being compared are all sub 1 watt, forget it, they won't work. I don't hear a lot about people doing AB listening in the range of 6-15 watts (maybe it isn't sexy enough to discuss). It isn't necessary to spend big $. A Lyr 3 will run them mighty well - not as well as a Pass Int25 I agree.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #19,766 of 20,374

My recommendation is to reconsider. The fuzzor mod is up there with pad rolling for positive change for me for those. You seem like a modder at heart; I’d give it a whirl.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #19,767 of 20,374
Has anyone fit a Deva headband on the HE500?

I just put a “comfort” (HE400i) headband on my original HE 500, and I like it.

Buuuut I also just bought a second HE500 with the intent of refurbishing it, and I’m thinking of going with a different headband this time.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #19,768 of 20,374
. anyone fit a Deva headband on the HE500?

I just put a “comfort” (HE400i) headband on my original HE 500, and I like it.

Buuuut I also just bought a second HE500 with the intent of refurbishing it, and I’m thinking of going with a different headband this time.
I put a 4XX band on my 500 about 2 years ago. Worked well - my 2nd most comfortable HFM after HEX v2 - but that won't fit the 500.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #19,769 of 20,374
I put a 4XX band on my 500 about 2 years ago. Worked well - my 2nd most comfortable HFM after HEX v2 - but that won't fit the 500.

After refurbishing my original, and having it be so good, I want to start collecting them.

Like a HE-500 rescue farm where they can have nice comfortable headbands, and be fed nothing but healthy balanced power, so they can age gracefully.

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #19,770 of 20,374
To those using the Hifiman Velpads; have you found a way to stop the pads from rotating freely? I'm getting frustrated by constantly having to reposition them to make sure the thinnest part of the pad is in front and thickest at the back. PITA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back