HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 23, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #19,726 of 20,374
I have the same and currently using my cans with it. Works as intended and the XBass boost reduces my need for EQ'ing the bass for the HD800 :)

Yep. So many high-power.m balanced amps have come out in the past few years. When I first got the HE500, the Lyr 1 was the go-to. I am looking at a few options but if I’m honest, I might not need it. The iFi will do around 4W in turbo.

Only thing is, there is some channel imbalance with the iFi until around the 12 o’clock position, which makes it hard to use in Turbo mode. I might try turning down the source volume.

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #19,728 of 20,374
So what would you do for a SS amp for the HE500?

Magni Heresy?
Magnius?
SMSL SP200?
Topping A90?
THX AAA 789?

I have a Brooklyn DAC so balanced is an option.
I would get an integrated amp and use the speaker taps.

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #19,731 of 20,374
An integrated amp isn't necessarily the answer.

The Lyr 3 and other Schiit products such as the retired Rag 1 or the Rag do fine.

What you need is 2 wpc minimum at 50 ohms. If you can get Class A and a balanced connection I'd recommend that strongly.

The 500 is my favorite headphone - but only after mods and EQ. You can plug stock ones into a Pass Int 25 and you'll never get sound as good as I get. there are hundreds of instructions on how to do it in this thread.

Problem is with any Int Amp over 25 yrs old is the aging of caps. I use a Rag 1 which is an Int amp but its got a headphone balanced out connection - with 4 wpc in Class on Gain 2.

Good luck!

Oct 24, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #19,732 of 20,374
An integrated amp isn't necessarily the answer.

The Lyr 3 and other Schiit products such as the retired Rag 1 or the Rag do fine.

What you need is 2 wpc minimum at 50 ohms. If you can get Class A and a balanced connection I'd recommend that strongly.

The 500 is my favorite headphone - but only after mods and EQ. You can plug stock ones into a Pass Int 25 and you'll never get sound as good as I get. there are hundreds of instructions on how to do it in this thread.

Problem is with any Int Amp over 25 yrs old is the aging of caps. I use a Rag 1 which is an Int amp but its got a headphone balanced out connection - with 4 wpc in Class on Gain 2.

Good luck!
But, an integrated amp doesn't have to be 25 years old. It could be less than 5 years old, cheaper and better than a new dedicated headphone amp.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #19,735 of 20,374
Honestly, I think I prefer the HE500 to my HE1000 v1... It's all in the timbre and the liquid mids, it's just a much closer to 'true colour' sound.
That's good to know as i have been lusting at the HEK variants for years.
Would you say the HE1000 v1's main advantage over the HE-500 is a bigger soundstage with more air & separation?
I concur regarding the HE-500's timbre, tonality and liquid/organic mids but i feel the soundstage is somewhat closed in hence my lust for the HEKs.

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #19,736 of 20,374
That's good to know as i have been lusting at the HEK variants for years.
Would you say the HE1000 v1's main advantage over the HE-500 is a bigger soundstage with more air & separation?
I concur regarding the HE-500's timbre, tonality and liquid/organic mids but i feel the soundstage is somewhat closed in hence my lust for the HEKs.
The HEK certainly sounds more open but its not always wider. Oftentimes the images are larger in terms of a sense of height and breadth; I would say that the two are roughly equally wide with a slight edge to the HEK.
The HEK's main advantage is more of a sense of technical ability/mastery. Everything sounds more 'professionally done," but also much more plasticky. A HEK variant is still worth owning, I just wouldn't sell an HE500 to buy it.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #19,737 of 20,374
The iFi will do around 4W in turbo.

That's plenty for about 99% of cans out there to go REALLY loud :)

Only thing is, there is some channel imbalance with the iFi until around the 12 o’clock position, which makes it hard to use in Turbo mode. I might try turning down the source volume.

Here it would be advised to go from Turbo to Normal mode to further expand usable volume range and go beyond channel imbalance. But just to be clear, you're using micro iDSD BL?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 25, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #19,738 of 20,374
s
Here it would be advised to go from Turbo to Normal mode tofurther expand usable volume range and go beyond channel imbalance. But just to be clear, you're using micro iDSD BL?

Yes, iDSD micro BL.

the right channel does not really become audible until past the 9 o clock position. Based on the FAQ page on your site, I set the gain shooting for 12-o-clock as normal listening volume (for my LCD-XC that’s in ECO, for example).

I’m wondering if I should get a higher power true desktop amp to provide enough current to the HE500, though.

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #19,739 of 20,374
But, an integrated amp doesn't have to be 25 years old. It could be less than 5 years old, cheaper and better than a new dedicated headphone amp.
Oh certainly I was just warning on a corner case. After all my driver is essentially an int amp.

I do like driving mine from a 4 pin plug wired to an amp expecting higher ohm loads.

As for cost some can amps are way overpriced.

I would put any amp with non aged caps running class A and set up for cans over any other choice. Works for me with my sliding bias 4 wpc in class A.

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #19,740 of 20,374
s

Yes, iDSD micro BL.

the right channel does not really become audible until past the 9 o clock position. Based on the FAQ page on your site, I set the gain shooting for 12-o-clock as normal listening volume (for my LCD-XC that’s in ECO, for example).

I’m wondering if I should get a higher power true desktop amp to provide enough current to the HE500, though.
No go with less than 2 wpc @ 50 ohms. My rule is 4 wpc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back