HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 2, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #18,856 of 20,386
Here's a pic of the screen that got my highest marks - before I fit the ring over it - FYI. It's sonically no different than no cover, but does give protection from fingers getting poked in.

Result: less bass, less mid bass, less upper bass - but its mostly the overly resonant amusical crud. Lower male voices lose the false chestiness, finger snaps and wood block type percussion sounds correct, and not over done. Because of the loss of under 400 Hz false reenforcement, they start to sound more tipped up - on the way to being HD-600's. What's obvious is that the music is coming through with more clarity, and the thickness and slowness people complain about in the bass is mitigated. Getting some non microphonic copper cables, add dynamat to cut bass resonances, and a potent well damped SS amp does the rest, along with pads. The stock and most common pads tend to make the bass sound spongy. Also the only pads I have heard that give a really flat treble are the MrSpeaker Ether Closed.

The felt on the back was one of my first mods and was essentially worthless. I'm going to strip that out and go with more stripped down dynamat (IE remove the backing).
DSCN2213.JPG

May 2, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #18,857 of 20,386
Here's a pic of the screen that got my highest marks - before I fit the ring over it - FYI. It's sonically no different than no cover, but does give protection from fingers getting poked in.

Result: less bass, less mid bass, less upper bass - but its mostly the overly resonant amusical crud. Lower male voices lose the false chestiness, finger snaps and wood block type percussion sounds correct, and not over done. Because of the loss of under 400 Hz false reenforcement, they start to sound more tipped up - on the way to being HD-600's. What's obvious is that the music is coming through with more clarity, and the thickness and slowness people complain about in the bass is mitigated. Getting some non microphonic copper cables, add dynamat to cut bass resonances, and a potent well damped SS amp does the rest, along with pads. The stock and most common pads tend to make the bass sound spongy. Also the only pads I have heard that give a really flat treble are the MrSpeaker Ether Closed.

The felt on the back was one of my first mods and was essentially worthless. I'm going to strip that out and go with more stripped down dynamat (IE remove the backing).
Does opening the grill make the headphone sound more airy? I would imagine it would help the sound decay outward better?

The way Hifiman drivers are configured, I find the imaging of the sounds radiating from the driver to be more realistic as I think the sound is radiating on both sides of the driver, creating a impression of more dimensional decay, or holography. That's what I like most about Hifimans like the HE500 or 6.

For example, when I listen to a Sennheiser dynamic driver, the imaging sounds like half of the sound decay is flattened out, and the imaging seem to be pancaked toward the edges of the sound space.

I found HE500 would be improved by reducing warmth, or reverb as you say, and you did achieve that. It does sound clearer, and tighter. It's a much improved HE500,

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #18,858 of 20,386
Does opening the grill make the headphone sound more airy? I would imagine it would help the sound decay outward better?

Yes, but the greatest effect is low mids down, the treble up is mostly due to the shift in the direction to a "HD-600" curve. But yes, there is less less back pressure on the membrane which has an effect, just lower in level IMO.

The way Hifiman drivers are configured, I find the imaging of the sounds radiating from the driver to be more realistic as I think the sound is radiating on both sides of the driver, creating a impression of more dimensional decay, or holography. That's what I like most about Hifimans like the HE500 or 6.

Unmodified those two HFM's seduce with that speaker like richness, and a bit of gauze over what seems at times to be a very transparent sound. The 6's have this extra ability to portray dynamics, the 500 being more placid in that way. But after you live with them for a time, and then AxB them vs something like the HD-600, you start to focus on the extra cruft. All my mods as you have said removes a notable amount of that. The 500 loses some of the "magic", but more of the cruft. Most of my recordings that reveal things to me I have known for years on great loudspeakers, and from live performances - and they all agree - more music coming through, and less cruft.

For example, when I listen to a Sennheiser dynamic driver, the imaging sounds like half of the sound decay is flattened out, and the imaging seem to be pancaked toward the edges of the sound space.

Yup Senn's don't image like the 500 or the 6. Generally I'd say that orthodynamics image better and bigger. Could be "force over area" advantage over the dispersion pattern of dynamics - and not the rear output. Now with the HD-600 Senn certainly went to pains to maximize the handling of the rear output - so they must think something about that is important.

I found HE500 would be improved by reducing warmth, or reverb as you say, and you did achieve that. It does sound clearer, and tighter. It's a much improved HE500,

I really did miss them when you had them. My rotation of the HE-500 (lots of mods), HD-600 (some mods), and HEX v2 (cups higher up on head and better XLR cable only changes) is restored Getting rid of the TH500RP, and HE-5LE. One more round of mods for the 4xx but probably leaving them as my mobile cans.

May 3, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #18,859 of 20,386
Do any companies make a relatively cheap (sub-$100) 4.4mm balanced cable for these? I think I've seen some for the newer model Hifimans, but none for these stupid tiny screw-on connectors.

May 3, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #18,861 of 20,386
Unfortunately not, I'm not handy at all. Hah.

Even for simple, non-exotic materials, you don't think one could be found for sub-$100?

May 3, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #18,863 of 20,386
yup AliExpress, but not sure of the quality of what you'll get. There is also used, I got a pair of Black Dragons v1 (they are up to v3) for $50 and they really do a great job.

May 6, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #18,864 of 20,386
I just got a balanced C3 Audio UP-OCC copper cable today. On first listen the treble glare is gone, the bass sounds tighter and the midrange is more focused. So far, these are positive improvements. The only other change I’ve made besides this cable is I put on the FocusPad A’s. Everything else is stock. I’m still enjoying these headphones. :L3000:

May 8, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #18,866 of 20,386
I just got a balanced C3 Audio UP-OCC copper cable today. On first listen the treble glare is gone, the bass sounds tighter and the midrange is more focused. So far, these are positive improvements. The only other change I’ve made besides this cable is I put on the FocusPad A’s. Everything else is stock. I’m still enjoying these headphones. :L3000:

Please try other pads. That's a good/medium level pad, but not a great one. Better than that "fuzzor" mod. Also does your amp have balanced? If so try that if you are still SE.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #18,867 of 20,386
Please try other pads. That's a good/medium level pad, but not a great one. Better than that "fuzzor" mod. Also does your amp have balanced? If so try that if you are still SE.
Yeah, not a fan of the focus pads. Sounds like the stage is compressed with treble rolled off a bit. I like Velpads, but also your moded one sounds good with the Ether angled pads.

May 8, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #18,868 of 20,386
I prefer velour pads but I have been using some cheap ones. Are they any good quality velour pads out there?

May 8, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #18,870 of 20,386
I have always thought that the angled pads were better suited for current HFM headphones and not discontinued models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back