HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 8, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #18,871 of 20,374
I have always thought that the angled pads were better suited for current HFM headphones and not discontinued models.
That's not true. If we are comparing stock to angled, angled is definately better in comfort for discontinued classics.

The way stock are shaped, it puts pressure in more specified spots (angled has more plush and pressure is distributed), and it creates gaps, so doesn't seal as well either. This is why pads evolved to angled, although the headphones a bit older.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #18,872 of 20,374
I have always thought that the angled pads were better suited for current HFM headphones and not discontinued models.

There are scads of reviews from the 2010-2015 era that claim angled pads (not slight, quite angled) are better than slight or none for the HE-6, HE-500, HE-400, HE5-LE. My own work agrees.

Soundstage depth all take a big turn for the positive.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #18,874 of 20,374
I just got a balanced C3 Audio UP-OCC copper cable today. On first listen the treble glare is gone, the bass sounds tighter and the midrange is more focused. So far, these are positive improvements. The only other change I’ve made besides this cable is I put on the FocusPad A’s. Everything else is stock. I’m still enjoying these headphones. :L3000:

What else do you have re: equipment and the 500's?

May 8, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #18,875 of 20,374
May 8, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #18,877 of 20,374
I think I might give some of these mods a try as I think the HE-500 are one of the best values you can get right now. They are damn good stock so lets give them a different take.

May 9, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #18,878 of 20,374
I think I might give some of these mods a try as I think the HE-500 are one of the best values you can get right now. They are damn good stock so lets give them a different take.
I can't agree more about the value, dare i say almost a giant killer? haha.
I have a pair too but i modded it with the newer style headband like the HE400i/560. And i have the Jerg pads, Focus-A pads and Ether Flow Angled (My favorites).
Comfort is fixed and the sound is smoother i believe, can't remember anymore since i only use them!

May 9, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #18,879 of 20,374
As long as you can mod it to the point where it sounds good or better than stock to your ears/taste, that's all that matters.
No one headphone or mod will please everyone for the simple fact that everyone has different ears, which results in different perceived frequency response and different head shape and size, so audio audio will translate slightly differently for everyone in the same space, and each headphone will sit slightly differently on each persons head, sometimes even at a 'reverse' angle (to conventional angled-pads).
There's no right or wrong or 'best'.

Did Audeze start the trend? Or was it another company?
I think even Sony MDR-R10 had angled pads. (please correct me if I'm wrong). Certainly not a 'trend starter', but I'm struggling to think of an earlier headphone than that.

May 9, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #18,880 of 20,374

I've papered this place with HE-500 mod info (based on those before me), and lots of experimentation. Here is a short list w/ prices paid in order of efficacy (IMO):

1. fuzzor mod; $5, 2 hours including 'tearing' them down and putting them together. Lots of guidance w/ pics right here on Head-Fi (circa 2011-14). Quiets amusical reverb/reflections in mids and esp highs. Couldn't frankly stand them without this mod.

2. rear screen; $0 or < $10. Remove, retain ring; If you are not worried about the drivers getting poked, leave open. If you are, get 1/2" ground cloth, cut to size and get the 4 closest cut metal ends into the nearest retainer ring hole, you probably have to trim again, and "dial" in the fit, success when flat and the ring fits in normally. You will lose some bass, but under 400 Hz note how much in the way of added reverb/cruft gets removed. Note: If you cook, or even have a natural or propane heater in the room with your cans, I'd put them in air proof container/bag except when using. That also keeps the dust away, which you somewhat lost by removing the screens.

3. pads: only a few seem to be approved by the cognoscenti. I have not heard the 500's at their best with a non angled pad - or with a velour or fenestrated pads. My search with a big pointer from the 500 and HE-6 mod pages is the MrSpeakers Ether Flow Angled. $85. Really tightens individual instrument focus, image depth, and the flatest measured treble of any pad. Bass strong but vents enough not to be fat. With screens on, soundstage width with these not the best, but with screens off or 1/2" groundcloth. Wow.

4. While you have the 500 opened up during #1, add dynamat, which tightens the bass. I like using it with the metal backing off. Roll up some, and squeeze into the edge between the inside of the outer can, and the driver frame. all the way around, don't let any random bits float around to touch the mylar (not sure if that would hurt it, but why temp fate?). On the inside the smallest vertical holes (one on each outside edge), don't put down felt, use dynamat (blocked by every pad I used, so felt does you no good in those slots). The 1/2" screen is pretty "live" once you are sure you won't be opening up for some time, put dynamat down around the edge. $20.

5. The stock cable sucks period. Microphonic, over emphasis in the treble. Copper, good OFC, nice connectors, avoid crazy expensive stuff. I got a Black Dragon v1 for $40 used, works great. Helps quiet down the cymbals and other glassy high end sounds, seems to focus the mids better, more slam in the bass.

6. Headband. Not aural per se but if it helps you keep them on longer maybe it is. I subbed in the band from my 4XX, and after that never once thought it was too heavy. Lots of ways to this goal. Cost: ?

So, $360 for the can, and $160 mods (not counting headband), you get a can that SilverEars thinks is nearly as good as his unmodified HE-6. I won't go that far, the 6 has a bass wallop that no configuration of my 500 can match. The HE-6 also has treble detail that my 500 does not. But my 500 has a bigger soundstage, better mids, and less annoying in the treble at times. I have no doubt that a well modded HE-6 would smash my 500. But I also think if HFM took as much time with the surrounding bits as with the driver of the HE-6, and issued it today, that it would easily compete in the +$2000 market.

May 9, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #18,881 of 20,374
I was with you until you started talking about the cables, but the rest i agree! Haven't tried the fuzzor mod yet but i might have to give it a shot!

May 9, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #18,882 of 20,374
Please try other pads. That's a good/medium level pad, but not a great one. Better than that "fuzzor" mod. Also does your amp have balanced? If so try that if you are still SE.
My amp does have a balanced connection and the extra power really helps in opening up the sound.

May 9, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #18,883 of 20,374
I was with you until you started talking about the cables, but the rest i agree! Haven't tried the fuzzor mod yet but i might have to give it a shot!

I'm pretty dubious on cables generally. But ask SilverEars about the Custom Cans vs stock on the Senn 600. And I bought a HFM HE5-LE which had these Dragon cables. I figured try it out. The stock cable is junk - no question. I had previously cut it down to 50", new connectors - both sides. Dragon killed it - possibly because stock was so wretched. I'm pretty immune to the king has no clothes.

May 9, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #18,884 of 20,374
I get what you mean, the stiff silver braded flat looking cable i have is insanely microfonic. Every movement or scratching against the desk is heard

May 9, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #18,885 of 20,374
I get what you mean, the stiff silver braded flat looking cable i have is insanely microfonic. Every movement or scratching against the desk is heard

That's one issue, the other is how long the cymbal decay lasts, it's endless. Other treble notes are bright with long decay as well. Could be the gauge or the silver, but copper seems to be end of much of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back