HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 24, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #18,361 of 20,386
I have only tried the flat hybrids. Well, I've tried the Cascadia Audio Impact Pads, but not the Brainwavz angled hybrids.

As for the full velour, I think I have both a flat and angled pair, so I'll try those and see how I go. Keep in mind that I no longer have my HE-500, though, so I'll be trying them on my HE-6. The differences vs stock pads (or flat hybrids) should translate well to the HE-500 though.
I really don t understand why ppl selling HE500,yea i love them.I have here HD800S ballanced on Liquid Carbon but i still preffer HE500 most of the time.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #18,364 of 20,386
Lighter bass,brighter presentation,speaker amp,i don t need that,lol.

Lighter bass? HE-6 has harder hitting bass, in my experience. Even when both driven from the same source equipment (e.g. NAD M51 and Schiit Mjol 1). HE-6 is more dynamic overall. I completely understand taking issue with the brighter presentation and essentially needing a speaker amp though, lol. But I got a great deal on the HE-6 and I simply prefer it :ksc75smile:

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #18,365 of 20,386
Lighter bass? HE-6 has harder hitting bass, in my experience. Even when both driven from the same source equipment (e.g. NAD M51 and Schiit Mjol 1). HE-6 is more dynamic overall. I completely understand taking issue with the brighter presentation and essentially needing a speaker amp though, lol. But I got a great deal on the HE-6 and I simply prefer it :ksc75smile:
Dynamics come from excess treble energy which don't sound natural with to much tizz,bass with slight bloom that don't hit the low notes hard bcs of the strong treble.I trust Tyll on this one:https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-hifiman-he-6

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #18,366 of 20,386
I honestly agree based on what I've heard about the he-6. I personally found the he-500 even too bright for my taste a lot of the time, hence my decision for getting the marantz to help add some more warmth to it. Now, you might say why didn't you get the lcd-2--well I tried them recently and those were drastically darker, too much so. The he-500 also just feels like it has such a smooth and natural decay that I can't give up.

Though I am still eager to try an he-6 out someday to see what people were talking about and to form my OWN opinions on it.

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #18,367 of 20,386
Dynamics come from excess treble energy which don't sound natural with to much tizz,bass with slight bloom that don't hit the low notes hard bcs of the strong treble.I trust Tyll on this one:https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-hifiman-he-6

That statement on dynamics is pretty questionable lol. Oh, I didn't realise you hadn't actually heard an HE-6 before. This changes things. I was just saying that from my subjective experience, I personally prefer the HE-6 (also, I forgot to mention that my HE-6 is pad-swapped and lightly modded). It seems that what you're saying is that the HE-500 is objectively superior, which you're basing solely on other people's opinions. Even if one of those people is Tyll, that's a little bit silly. Tyll may be a highly-respectable individual, but he's still a human with subjective preferences and biases. You shouldn't base your entire opinion of a headphone on what he has said. Or what any individual has said.

I'm not saying I'm right or that you can't prefer the HE-500 - but you can't say anything for certain without trying the headphones yourself.

I honestly agree based on what I've heard about the he-6. I personally found the he-500 even too bright for my taste a lot of the time, hence my decision for getting the marantz to help add some more warmth to it. Now, you might say why didn't you get the lcd-2--well I tried them recently and those were drastically darker, too much so. The he-500 also just feels like it has such a smooth and natural decay that I can't give up.

Though I am still eager to try an he-6 out someday to see what people were talking about and to form my OWN opinions on it.

Forming your own opinion would be a good start, lol.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #18,368 of 20,386
Well, a good start is researching the product and forming the opinion most likely to come from it based on other people's OBJECTIVE comparisons with the headphone and others. But yes, trying it myself would be preferable hence my previous comment... Lol...

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #18,369 of 20,386
Well, a good start is researching the product and forming the opinion most likely to come from it based on other people's OBJECTIVE comparisons with the headphone and others. But yes, trying it myself would be preferable hence my previous comment... Lol...

Researching is great. Be careful of expectation bias, though. Also, what are these objective comparisons you speak of? Beyond measurements, that is.

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #18,370 of 20,386
Researching is great. Be careful of expectation bias, though. Also, what are these objective comparisons you speak of? Beyond measurements, that is.
Just that the he-6 tends to be regarded as to have more treble than the he500, which I might find a disadvantage. Or that it extends deeper, etc.

Hard to be subjective about frequency response comparisons between two headphones

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #18,371 of 20,386
Just that the he-6 tends to be regarded as to have more treble than the he500, which I might find a disadvantage. Or that it extends deeper, etc.

Hard to be subjective about frequency response comparisons between two headphones

It's fairly easy to be subjective about frequency response between two headphones, actually. I mean not long ago, bobbyblack and I disagreed about the bass on the HE-6. He said it had lighter bass than the HE-500, to which I 100% disagree. At first I figured he may have just heard the headphones under-amped, which does alter the sound significantly. Then I found out he hasn't actually heard the headphones, which makes more sense. He firmly believes the HE-6's bass is lighter even though he hasn't heard it himself. I'd be willing to bet that when he does get the chance to listen to the HE-6, he will come away from that experience feeling that the HE-6 does indeed have lighter bass - that's where the expectation bias comes in.

But yeah, there are also cases where people universally agree, such as how the HE-6 is a bit brighter than the HE-500. Regardless, you never fully know what a headphone is like 'til you try it yourself. Maybe the HE-6 really does have lighter bass. Maybe it doesn't. Only one way to find out.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #18,372 of 20,386
You get my point though lol. Speaking of which, any feedback on the full velours vs hybrids yet?

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #18,374 of 20,386
It's fairly easy to be subjective about frequency response between two headphones, actually. I mean not long ago, bobbyblack and I disagreed about the bass on the HE-6. He said it had lighter bass than the HE-500, to which I 100% disagree. At first I figured he may have just heard the headphones under-amped, which does alter the sound significantly. Then I found out he hasn't actually heard the headphones, which makes more sense. He firmly believes the HE-6's bass is lighter even though he hasn't heard it himself. I'd be willing to bet that when he does get the chance to listen to the HE-6, he will come away from that experience feeling that the HE-6 does indeed have lighter bass - that's where the expectation bias comes in.

But yeah, there are also cases where people universally agree, such as how the HE-6 is a bit brighter than the HE-500. Regardless, you never fully know what a headphone is like 'til you try it yourself. Maybe the HE-6 really does have lighter bass. Maybe it doesn't. Only one way to find out.[/QUO
Like i said,i trust Tyll,not really curios about he6,if i want to make an ''upgrade'' i probably look at HEX, lighter,not picky with sources and amplification.Anyway if you are happy this is all that matters :D.

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #18,375 of 20,386

But yeah, there are also cases where people universally agree, such as how the HE-6 is a bit brighter than the HE-500. Regardless, you never fully know what a headphone is like 'til you try it yourself. Maybe the HE-6 really does have lighter bass. Maybe it doesn't. Only one way to find out.[/QUO

But yeah, there are also cases where people universally agree, such as how the HE-6 is a bit brighter than the HE-500. Regardless, you never fully know what a headphone is like 'til you try it yourself. Maybe the HE-6 really does have lighter bass. Maybe it doesn't. Only one way to find out.
So,the treble is hot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back