HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 24, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #17,521 of 20,374
Nice, my set has the FocusPads already! My HE-500s should be here today, can't wait to give them a listen.

Just a note, FocusPads and FocusPads-A are two different pads.

I've never tried to the regular FocusPads so can't comment on those.  It kind of seems some people prefer one over the other.

At any rate, they are both much better than the stock pads :)

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #17,522 of 20,374

Ryan Adams Live at Carnagie Hall sounds superb 
biggrin.gif

This album. Totally stellar.

Question for everyone in general. Has anyone found a straight upgrade from the HE-500? For some reason I've kept my HE-500 longer than most headphones, and I'm pretty sure it's because I haven't really found one. The HE-560 was pretty "meh". 

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #17,524 of 20,374

Question for everyone in general. Has anyone found a straight upgrade from the HE-500? For some reason I've kept my HE-500 longer than most headphones, and I'm pretty sure it's because I haven't really found one. The HE-560 was pretty "meh". 

A straight upgrade in my opinion?  Yes, but only if you're willing to shell out a ton of cash.  I think the HE-6 and HE-1k are both better, but not in proportion to their cost.  Beyond that, I haven't really found anything that I enjoy significantly more.

The 500, at it's current price, does so much right.

The HD-650 is a fine side grade.  Both are fine headphones, but it really just comes down to personal listening preference on that one.  

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #17,525 of 20,374
  A straight upgrade in my opinion?  Yes, but only if you're willing to shell out a ton of cash.  I think the HE-6 and HE-1k are both better, but not in proportion to their cost.  Beyond that, I haven't really found anything that I enjoy significantly more.

The HD-650 is a fine side grade.  Both are fine headphones, but it really just comes down to personal listening preference on that one.  

Is the HE-6 just "technically better" or did you also find it more 'fun' than the HE-500?

I'm debating getting an HE-6 (I can get one for what I think is a pretty reasonable ~$700) but I've heard from multiple people that while it is "better" it is not as fun to listen to as the HE-500.

I'll probably wait for a head-fi meet in my area and audition a pair to see how it compares.

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #17,526 of 20,374
I want to buy HE-500s as a replacement for my HE-400s. Originally I planned for an HD650, but the HE-500s sound better, and cheaper. The hifiman store is out of stock, should I expect them to come back soon or should I look elsewhere?

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #17,527 of 20,374

I agree with you. I think just about the only overall superior headphone is the HE-6. Audeze is so far behind now. 

Is the HE-6 just "technically better" or did you also find it more 'fun' than the HE-500?

I'm debating getting an HE-6 (I can get one for what I think is a pretty reasonable ~$700) but I've heard from multiple people that while it is "better" it is not as fun to listen to as the HE-500.

I'll probably wait for a head-fi meet in my area and audition a pair to see how it compares.

I think you're reading right for the most part. The HE-6 sounds very clinical and very accurate. The HE-500 is a more fun listen, while still being very fast and accurate. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #17,528 of 20,374
Has anyone listened to LCD-2s? How do they compare to our beloved 500s? (edit: this was helpful)

Quote:
  I want to buy HE-500s as a replacement for my HE-400s. Originally I planned for an HD650, but the HE-500s sound better, and cheaper. The hifiman store is out of stock, should I expect them to come back soon or should I look elsewhere?

HE-500 is discontinued so you'll have to find a used version. Don't let that put you off though!

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #17,529 of 20,374

HE-500 is discontinued so you'll have to find a used version. Don't let that put you off though!

Picked mine up on Ebay for $400.00 shipped.   Great headphones for the price...

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #17,530 of 20,374

Yup those are the only 2 headphones That I need.

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #17,531 of 20,374
Those are the only 2 headphones I still have 
biggrin.gif
.....................I also agree that any improvement is going to cost exponentially more than any SQ gains.  You are definitely at the point of diminished returns.  The fun in listening will be lost the more critical you find yourself listening in a vein attempt to ferret out the supposed improvements in SQ you just paid 3 times as much to garner. Been there more times than I care to count.  I suppose its in our nature to want the best for me though it came at a price. I always found myself listening to find the improvements instead of listening to the music it became a tedious endeavor that cost me more than I gained.  Songs I LOVED are now songs I can barely listen to as I used them so much in critical listening

I have much more fun with my cheaper amps dacs and cans.
L3000.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #17,533 of 20,374
  HD650 are great headphones but I think that HE-500 has the absolute edge in every area. I can easily live with HE-500 as my only headphone. That would be much harder to do with HD650. 

Like I said, personal preference.

I know many that find the treble on the 500 to be a little too grating.  The 650 upper end has a mellowness to it that a lot of people really enjoy for extended listening.

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #17,534 of 20,374

I know many that find the treble on the 500 to be a little too grating.  The 650 upper end has a mellowness to it that a lot of people really enjoy for extended listening.

Everything can be reduced to "personal preference". However, objectively speaking ... 

There are still people who have personal preference for Beats by DrDre over both HD650 and HE500 
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #17,535 of 20,374

That's crazy! IMO the 500 has perfect highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back