HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 24, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #17,356 of 20,374
He560 sounds great modded.
I have the he500 for a while now but still haven't done the mods, so the 500 may be better after mods.

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #17,357 of 20,374

I just removed the left driver with no problem. I did test the other driver and appears to be sounding fine. Getting the ferule off will be the hard part. There is really nothing to grip to on the head of the screw. Even took off the rubber ring and still, it didn't give me any more length to play with. Thank you for the tips!

As the headband is already bad I would take vice grips and squeeze the sides of the metal where the screw passes through, with a decent set of grips I am pretty confident with the proper force you could stop the screw from turning.  once you have a good grip take a heat source and heat the ferrule then a small pair of pliers / vice grips and it should turn off, 

another option is take one of the new screws and hit the hardware store (ace is usually best with the largest selection) and look for a similar size ferrule

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #17,359 of 20,374
Besides adaptors, how have you guys re-cabled your HE-500? I'm thinking about ordering from 'Best in the Verse' as soon as they open orders back up.

Anything better that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of money?

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #17,360 of 20,374
Besides adaptors, how have you guys re-cabled your HE-500? I'm thinking about ordering from 'Best in the Verse' as soon as they open orders back up.

Anything better that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of money?

What is your budget?

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #17,361 of 20,374
Jan 25, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #17,362 of 20,374
As the headband is already bad I would take vice grips and squeeze the sides of the metal where the screw
passes through, with a decent set of grips I am pretty confident with the proper force you could stop the screw from turning.  once you have a good grip take a heat source and heat the ferrule then a small pair of pliers / vice grips and it should turn off, 

another option is take one of the new screws and hit the hardware store (ace is usually best with the largest selection) and look for a similar size ferrule

I heated both locked screws using the stove. It worked like a charm! Didn't even need tools, just unscrewed it with my hands. I will go to Ace and see if they have a similar ferrule like you said. The ferrules that I have rescued are pretty torn up from all of the gripping I have done with pliers. It's just really frustrating trying to tell Hifiman what I need and more importantly why these ferrules have solder on them???? I feel like I am taking crazy pills here! Ha. Thanks for your help in all of this. I was thinking about posting this in its own thread if I didn't get enough help on here.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #17,363 of 20,374
I heated both locked screws using the stove. It worked like a charm! Didn't even need tools, just unscrewed it with my hands. I will go to Ace and see if they have a similar ferrule like you said. The ferrules that I have rescued are pretty torn up from all of the gripping I have done with pliers. It's just really frustrating trying to tell Hifiman what I need and more importantly why these ferrules have solder on them???? I feel like I am taking crazy pills here! Ha. Thanks for your help in all of this. I was thinking about posting this in its own thread if I didn't get enough help on here.

Be comforted by Chinese inefficiency, because as soon as they get this figured out, they're going to be running things.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #17,366 of 20,374
Congratulations on your CA-600, if it sounds anything like my CR-2020 you will be a very happy camper
smily_headphones1.gif

hahaha I am a very happy camper indeed! The refinement, seperation and detail are amazing now and the bass has become even more impressive; mariginally less impact than my TH-600 but far more control and definition. Now I want to hear someones else's end game setup or at least other amps

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #17,368 of 20,374
hahaha I am a very happy camper indeed! The refinement, seperation and detail are amazing now and the bass has become even more impressive; mariginally less impact than my TH-600 but far more control and definition. Now I want to hear someones else's end game setup or at least other amps

As good as these vintage Yamaha amps are, they are better suited for high impedance headphones like HD800 & T1. For my HE-500, the Bryston BHA-1 brings more clarity, transparency and articulation in the midrange but is also leaner. Perfect combo of you ask me :)

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #17,369 of 20,374

Users who are viewing this thread

Back