HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 17, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #17,282 of 20,374
Unfortunately that's not a good pairing there. Many suggestions for amp pairing on this thread though. I use a violectric amp and the 500's sing.

Lol that's actually got me excited. If what I'm listening to isn't considered good then I can't wait to hear the real thing!!

Is there anything specific about the Valhalla that makes it a bad pairing with the 500? I was previously using it with HD600/650s.

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #17,283 of 20,374
Lol that's actually got me excited. If what I'm listening to isn't considered good then I can't wait to hear the real thing!!

Is there anything specific about the Valhalla that makes it a bad pairing with the 500? I was previously using it with HD600/650s.
Vahalia is an otl and is really designed for high z cans like the senns. I believe the 500's are what 35 or 50 ohm. A hybrid like the lyr or ss would probably work better. Tried the little dot mk. Iii with 560's once and nothing special

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #17,288 of 20,374
I'm always one to keep things honest on here. And I have to say. You're correct in your statement.

After reading your post , I re-terminated my cable to see if anything changed. I had an extra pack of banana plugs laying in the drawer.

To my surprise, things sounded better. Imaging, and transparency benefited the most. I wouldn't say the change were night and day. But definitely an improvement over all. I honestly thought it wouldn't matter beings nothing else in my signal chain was balanced. Thanks for the advice bro. I won't be using the adapter anymore. Lol.

Cheers
:beerchug:
If you are connecting to speaker taps, you are starting with a balanced signal. This adaptor will sum both negative phases into a common ground in the sleeve, allowing for a single ended connection. Why is this bad, you ask? Summing the negative phases into a common ground will halve the voltage swing and slew rate vs. just running balanced all the way up to the headphone. In short, the amp is sending less juice and less information to the headphone.

While it is certainly possible to have SE connections that sound every bit as good as balanced, in this case the comparison is 1:1, and signal degradation is the only possible outcome.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #17,289 of 20,374
I'm always one to keep things honest on here. And I have to say. You're correct in your statement.

After reading your post , I re-terminated my cable to see if anything changed. I had an extra pack of banana plugs laying in the drawer.

To my surprise, things sounded better. Imaging, and transparency benefited the most. I wouldn't say the change were night and day. But definitely an improvement over all. I honestly thought it wouldn't matter beings nothing else in my signal chain was balanced. Thanks for the advice bro. I won't be using the adapter anymore. Lol.

Cheers
:beerchug:

What you are describing is essentially how I would describe most of the difference going from single ended to balanced

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #17,290 of 20,374

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Happy to help! :)

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #17,291 of 20,374
Is there anything with similar strengths of HE-500 (I'm totally fine with the bass now that I'm driving them better) but perhaps a better soundstage?

The only thing that helped with soundstage on my HE-500 was a pair of Phillips MiniWatts 6922's in the Lyr.  I don't find the soundstage lacking but comparing to the T1 (with same tubes) the HE-500 is like a venue at a bar, the T1 is like Red Rocks Amphitheater.  Sorry no tricks or tips for your Polaris.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #17,292 of 20,374
  The only thing that helped with soundstage on my HE-500 was a pair of Phillips MiniWatts 6922's in the Lyr.  I don't find the soundstage lacking but comparing to the T1 (with same tubes) the HE-500 is like a venue at a bar, the T1 is like Red Rocks Amphitheater.  Sorry no tricks or tips for your Polaris.

Oh no, I meant other headphones that either compliment the HE-500 or something.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #17,293 of 20,374

Oh no, I meant other headphones that either compliment the HE-500 or something.

Sorry... in that case I can wholeheartedly recommend the T1.  These are going to remain my reference cans... unless I get a killer deal on an HE-6 anyway

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #17,294 of 20,374
Sorry... in that case I can wholeheartedly recommend the T1.  These are going to remain my reference cans... unless I get a killer deal on an HE-6 anyway

Is the T1 v-shaped sounding? I have been thinking about EL-8 Titanium for portable planar goodness. HiFiMan doesn't really have a product that compares.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #17,295 of 20,374

Is the T1 v-shaped sounding? I have been thinking about EL-8 Titanium for portable planar goodness. HiFiMan doesn't really have a product that compares.

If you want a portable with a similar sound to the HE-500, I'd recommend opting for the Oppo PM-3 instead. The EL-8 is... not so great, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back