HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 16, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #17,251 of 20,374
Im not basshead,and i dont want to lose the clarety of the HE500 and sound stadge,do you think the TH900 are good upgread?
My music
Chillout, indian classical,trance,classic rock.

In my opinion there isn't really much of an upgrade for the HE-500 especially since the are often under $450 used. I havent heard the TH900 but the TH600 soundstage is a little smaller than the HE-500 soundstage but not as airy and seperated.

The HE500 has way more bass to offer than the Lyr will ever give you. Not trying to knock it, but even with warm tubes it's pretty mid-centric, IMO.

Regarding the other guys recommendation of the TH-900 - clarity level is similar. Th-900 has more detail and the Th-900 soundstage is also a bit bigger, once your head adjusts. Mids are pretty recessed, but makes a good counterpunch with the HE500.

With this statement in mind maybe the TH900 does have a bigger soundstage but I can't personally comment on it.

Is there anything with similar strengths of HE-500 (I'm totally fine with the bass now that I'm driving them better) but perhaps a better soundstage?

Maybe an Audeze EL-8 open? The sounded somewhat similar but I didn't have long enough to really find out.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #17,252 of 20,374
The HE500 has way more bass to offer than the Lyr will ever give you. Not trying to knock it, but even with warm tubes it's pretty mid-centric, IMO.

Regarding the other guys recommendation of the TH-900 - clarity level is similar. Th-900 has more detail and the Th-900 soundstage is also a bit bigger, once your head adjusts. Mids are pretty recessed, but makes a good counterpunch with the HE500.

Is there anything with similar strengths of HE-500 (I'm totally fine with the bass now that I'm driving them better) but perhaps a better soundstage?

It depends on what you mean by "similar strengths." If you mean a balanced FR leaning just a little warm, with liquid mids and that sweet bass, the following will all give you that plus more soundstage:

HE-6
HE-560
HE-1000
Hifiman Edition X
Audeze LCD-4
Ether (open back)
Enigma Acoustics Dharma D-1000
Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2 (only with a really good amp)

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #17,253 of 20,374
It depends on what you mean by "similar strengths." If you mean a balanced FR leaning just a little warm, with liquid mids and that sweet bass, the following will all give you that plus more soundstage:

HE-6
HE-560
HE-1000
Hifiman Edition X
Audeze LCD-4
Ether (open back)

I'd heard that the mids were what were specifically disappointing in going from HE-500 to HE-560.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #17,254 of 20,374
I would skip the Alpha pads with the 500, not good synergy at all IMHO.

I have recently rediscovered the HE-500 after having them in the closet for the last year and tried out the Focus Pads. I didn't like them, I felt they damped the midrange a lot and took all of the fun and intimacy out of the phones.

I'm back using the pleather for now and this seems to me how the HE-500 should sound.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #17,255 of 20,374

HE-6
HE-560
HE-1000
Hifiman Edition X
Audeze LCD-4
Ether (open back)

I'd heard that the mids were what were specifically disappointing in going from HE-500 to HE-560.

It depends on how you like your mids and how you plan on amping the headphones.

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #17,256 of 20,374
It depends on how you like your mids and how you plan on amping the headphones.

I like the mids of the HE-500. I don't really know what else to compare them to. My amp is Project Polaris. I just upgraded the DAC to Bifrost MultiBit (huge difference between my HRT MSii+ and BiMBy!). Polaris added energy and shape, BiMBy added sound stage and bass impact.

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #17,257 of 20,374

HE-6
HE-560
HE-1000
Hifiman Edition X
Audeze LCD-4
Ether (open back)

I had a pair of HE560 for a bit. I found it a bit of a toss up. Overall, I would say it's overall a tiny bit better than the HE-500, if it all. Midrange definitely comes back a touch. The treble had an odd spike, but other than that was much faster and smoother. Bass was a bit tighter, but didn't really extend as low. Comfort was a clear win for the HE560. It felt like a slightly more polite HE500, but not in a "HE-6" way. I mentioned this in the "deals" thread and a bunch of HE560 owners had heart attacks. They didn't like this idea at all.

Also, I've heard really mixed things about the LCD-4. Looks like Audeze is on the downwards trend after the EL8 and LCD4. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #17,258 of 20,374

HE-6
HE-560

HE-1000

Hifiman Edition X

Audeze LCD-4

Ether (open back)

I had a pair of HE560 for a bit. I found it a bit of a toss up. Overall, I would say it's overall a tiny bit better than the HE-500, if it all. Midrange definitely comes back a touch. The treble had an odd spike, but other than that was much faster and smoother. Bass was a bit tighter, but didn't really extend as low. Comfort was a clear win for the HE560. It felt like a slightly more polite HE500, but not in a "HE-6" way. I mentioned this in the "deals" thread and a bunch of HE560 owners had heart attacks. They didn't like this idea at all.

Also, I've heard really mixed things about the LCD-4. Looks like Audeze is on the downwards trend after the EL8 and LCD4. 

I listened to the LCD-4. I thought it was absolutely outstanding. It's too rich for my taste, but as far as sound quality goes it's in line with the very best of the best.

I can't say the same for the EL-8. I don't like that headphone at all, personally.

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #17,259 of 20,374
I got a pair of used HE-500s about 3 months back. Absolutely love it. I haven't touched my HD 650 since. Ok actually not true...I tried them again 2 weeks back and couldn't believe how much more I preferred the 500s. Just so much more FUN FUN FUN to listen to!!! And I used to love my 650s. I still think they're a great pair of headphones but HE-500 is just insanely fun to use.

I just wish they were as comfortable as sennheisers :\

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #17,260 of 20,374
I got a pair of used HE-500s about 3 months back. Absolutely love it. I haven't touched my HD 650 since. Ok actually not true...I tried them again 2 weeks back and couldn't believe how much more I preferred the 500s. Just so much more FUN FUN FUN to listen to!!! And I used to love my 650s. I still think they're a great pair of headphones but HE-500 is just insanely fun to use.

I just wish they were as comfortable as sennheisers :\

You can glue the HD650 head band foam inlay to the inside of the HE-500 headband. Much more comfortable

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #17,261 of 20,374
You can glue the HD650 head band foam inlay to the inside of the HE-500 headband. Much more comfortable

Yep! Also, even just the Focus pads are more comfortable. Alpha Dog pads can fit too...and I think HM5s can also fit.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #17,262 of 20,374
My HE-500 cable is going bad, like the first one i bought that was longer, these came with the HE-500 when i bought it form some one. It going bad around the same spot the SMC connector. Sadly I not a DIY when it comes to cables, but this starting to become costly buying new cables. I love my HE-500's but I getting to the point that I feel like moving on from them to something else. At-least something that has affordable replacement cables that doesn't cost 39+ dollars and that last longer.I'm getting sick of this issue, i really rather not replace the cable again.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #17,263 of 20,374
  Hi 
Want to upgrade from my great HE-500, is the BD T1 v2 better than HE-500? or maybe the LCD 2?
Budget: 1100$ maximum

My gear 
Amp:  lyr   great amp
Dac:  Gungnir   you cant find better at this price
I like the sound but need more bass 

I like sound stage, thats  why i like my HE-500 very open sound, but i need more bass, any recommendation?

Thx

Perhaps try a Emotiva mini solid state amp? This amp pushes out so much textured bass I couldn't ask for any more.  

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #17,264 of 20,374
Yep! Also, even just the Focus pads are more comfortable. Alpha Dog pads can fit too...and I think HM5s can also fit.

Yeah actually I have Alpha Pads fitted on them. Did make them more comfortable. Maybe I'll try the headband trick since that is definitely what bothers me the most. After a couple hours the top of my head starts to hurt a bit. Also can't ignore the weight (600/650 really feels so light)

But, the tradeoff in sound is totally worth it I think.

Has anyone here upgraded from these headphones? What do people usually upgrade to from here? I doubt I'll be getting a new pair in the next 2-3 years but just curious...

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #17,265 of 20,374
Yeah actually I have Alpha Pads fitted on them. Did make them more comfortable. Maybe I'll try the headband trick since that is definitely what bothers me the most. After a couple hours the top of my head starts to hurt a bit. Also can't ignore the weight (600/650 really feels so light)

But, the tradeoff in sound is totally worth it I think.

Has anyone here upgraded from these headphones? What do people usually upgrade to from here? I doubt I'll be getting a new pair in the next 2-3 years but just curious...

I've had mine for about 4 1/2 years and have not heard anything that has made me want to upgrade. I have Signature Pro for when I need closed phones and JH13 for travelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back