HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 5, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #16,156 of 20,386
  Well - I finally managed to break the male SMC Connector -  off to search for replacement 
confused.gif

Bummer.  How did it happen?  I reckon you can find one on eBay, but I also reckon it will require desoldering/soldering.

Is that a cooling fan I see behind that grill???  
wink.gif

May 5, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #16,157 of 20,386

Bummer.  How did it happen?  I reckon you can find one on eBay, but I also reckon it will require desoldering/soldering.

Is that a cooling fan I see behind that grill???  
wink.gif

Dropped it a just the right, or rather wrong angle and SNAP!

That is indeed a cooling fan - highly tuned to dissipate back pressure - still works as I ran a separate power line ....

May 9, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #16,159 of 20,386

Search for "SMC bulkhead crimp jack" and you should find a replacement. I bought a couple from a local distributor when I rewired my headphone drivers and they work perfectly.

You sir are awesome. Thank you.

May 11, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #16,163 of 20,386
How are people enjoying their HE-500s?

Went and got em out of the closet the other day after realizing it had been a few weeks.  Still love them!  I'm glad I ended up keeping them and not "trading" up as new products came out.  They are a great headphone and started my appreciation for those engaging mids!

I haven't tried the ZMF Earpads on them yet as I still have the focus pads on em, but I'm gonna throw them on in the next few days and see what happens.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 11, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #16,164 of 20,386

Went and got em out of the closet the other day after realizing it had been a few weeks.  Still love them!  I'm glad I ended up keeping them and not "trading" up as new products came out.  They are a great headphone and started my appreciation for those engaging mids!

I haven't tried the ZMF Earpads on them yet as I still have the focus pads on em, but I'm gonna throw them on in the next few days and see what happens.

++1

May 11, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #16,165 of 20,386
I had a pair that I Just LOVED for their ability to simultaneously provide impactful bass and sparkling treble.  I then had a chance to get some rare vintage headphones, so realizing that as good as the HE-500 are, they were not rare vintage, so I traded my pair (with more) for the rare vintage headphones (Grado RS1 with wooden buttons), planning to get another pair.

I found another (used) pair, got it, loved it even more (it had a plug termination of 1/8" which was more convenient for me).

Then I had a chance for ANOTHER pair of vintage headphones for my collection (Joseph Grado HP1000s, the original HP1 with polarity switches).  So I sold them again.

I again missed them, particularly since my 12 beloved Grados do lots well, but they don't do impactful bass.  I needed a pair of HE-500s (again).  And now I liked them so much I was prepared to buy them new.

So I went to my local HiFiMAN dealer.  They also had the HE-560 which came out more recently, as well as the HE-400i.  Of course I had to compare.

I found that even though the HE-500 had stronger bass, the HE-560 had almost as much and had much greater clarity throughout the mids and trebles.  It was very close to my Sennheiser HD 800s.  Even the HE-400i had that greater clarity in mids and treble, though its bass was weak enough that it was not a candidate for me.

But the HE-560 cost nearly twice as much as the HE-500, and I was not ready for that.  So realizing how close it came to my HD 800, I began to work to get my HD 800 to be a portable headphone.  To that end, I bought a 3' cable for it, started using my Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp with iDevice direct digital connect, and ordered a more powerful version of the PHA-1, specifically the CEntrance HiFi M8.

Finally, the HE-1000 was announced by HiFiMAN.  I now have my eye on that, so I fear that the HE-500 and I will not likely have a chance to reunite.  (Sigh!)

May 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #16,166 of 20,386

Played around with the Hifiman pads again Saturday evening. Was interested to see how the addition of the fuzzor and grill mods changed the sound with the original pads. Interestingly with the mods I preferred the pleather pads this round to the velours, the velours just sounded very odd with a very noticeably dip in the lower treble. The pleathers sounded better, but had a bit of a nasal quality in the mids. In the end put back the Focus pads and it was like "everything is right again". I still have to commend Jerg for his fine job on those pads and for Hifiman to put a version of it into production.

May 11, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #16,169 of 20,386
  I'm done looking for anything better because I'm not sure there is anything better, especially in that price range.

Same here. HE-500 with the focus pads plugged into my Corda Classic, fed by a nice DAC, and I'm in heaven. Have had this as my main home setup for a while now and I cannot imagine upgrading this any time soon. It just sounds perfect to my ears.

May 15, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #16,170 of 20,386
I also agree. I have my he500s unmodded expect for the focus-A pads and using a Gustard H10 amp they are wonderful. I do find the subbass a little light for my tastes, so I might be looking for an lcd2 in the future. However, a bit of subbass eq on the he500s makes me very satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back