HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 29, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #15,198 of 20,386
  100-150$
 and i don't want usb dac, i want it to have power source

Is that because you don't want to draw power from your audio source? If that's the case, you can use a powered USB Hub in between. My Bifrost desktop DAC draws too much power from my smartphone or DAP, so the powered USB Hub solved that for me. That will probably work for the Modi, you can shoot the guys at Schiit an email to confirm.

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #15,199 of 20,386
I have a Yulong DA8/A28 combo.  I don't feel its enough to drive an HE-6 to its full potential.  How well does the DA8/A28 synergize with the HE-500?  Is the sound quality on the 500 noticeably worse than the 560?  I don't want to go with the 560s because the ear cups are too small for my big head.  The HE-500 fits but I'd like to know how well it pairs with my DAC and AMP.  

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #15,200 of 20,386
I have the DA8 and Emotiva xa100 combo. I often switch back and forth between the DA8 headphone out and the Emotiva xa100 and I think they are quite comparable in sound signature. I think the Emotiva provides more bass and is more clear, but I don't its significantly better. Albeit, I've never tested them back to back on similar tracks.

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #15,201 of 20,386
Whats the cheapest amp and dac i could get away with using? Im starting from scratch, and never knew about amps to begin with, especially for demanding cans

From the sounds of it the magni isnt quite powerful enough, but is the modi good enough as a starter dac?

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #15,202 of 20,386
Whats the cheapest amp and dac i could get away with using? Im starting from scratch, and never knew about amps to begin with, especially for demanding cans

From the sounds of it the magni isnt quite powerful enough, but is the modi good enough as a starter dac?

The lower end audio gd stuff is quite good and includes DAC and amp or you could try the mini-x or topping TP60 speaker amps plus a DAC, all could be had for $200-$300. My HE500 sounded pretty good out of my 20+ year old pioneer amp which I paid $25 for so that's another option.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #15,203 of 20,386
Just read another dozen reviews on the HE-500, and I'm starting to wonder if I really want it. People seem to be pinning it as a neutral, or bright headphone, and although I'm fine with neutrality (go Canada!) I still want the bass to be right there, powerful, textured, and exact. However, reviewers say the bass is fantastic on these cans, but by fantastic, they seem to mean detailed, quick, and accurate. All aspects that I want, but is the bass as present as, lets's say, the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro? Treble and midrage look fantastic on the charts, and I keep hearing about how amazing the midrange on orthodynamic cans can be, but I want to be sure I'm getting the headphones that'll work the best.
I'm trying to find my end-game cans, but would the more pronounced bass of the HE-400's be more in the direction I want to go? Lastly, if I get the HE-500, should I expect $900 sound from them, since that was their original price?

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #15,204 of 20,386
Just read another dozen reviews on the HE-500, and I'm starting to wonder if I really want it. People seem to be pinning it as a neutral, or bright headphone, and although I'm fine with neutrality (go Canada!) I still want the bass to be right there, powerful, textured, and exact. However, reviewers say the bass is fantastic on these cans, but by fantastic, they seem to mean detailed, quick, and accurate. All aspects that I want, but is the bass as present as, lets's say, the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro? Treble and midrage look fantastic on the charts, and I keep hearing about how amazing the midrange on orthodynamic cans can be, but I want to be sure I'm getting the headphones that'll work the best.
I'm trying to find my end-game cans, but would the more pronounced bass of the HE-400's be more in the direction I want to go? Lastly, if I get the HE-500, should I expect $900 sound from them, since that was their original price?

Read my review. These sound like exactly what you want. Theyre a different beast than the 400s. They certainly will deliver the sound of a $1000 especially with a pad upgrade not to mention, note that the 560 is out, you can pick these guys up for a steal! They are regularly priced under $500 if you don't mind secondhand.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #15,205 of 20,386
Read my review. These sound like exactly what you want. Theyre a different beast than the 400s. They certainly will deliver the sound of a $1000 especially with a pad upgrade not to mention, note that the 560 is out, you can pick these guys up for a steal! They are regularly priced under $500 if you don't mind secondhand.

Budget is $400, maybe $450, but I can't afford any more than that, and it'll be a year or so before I'm ready for another big purchase. So would the pad upgrade help sound or just comfort, because you seem to believe it just affects comfort. Also, you say that the cable included is uber-crap, but looking at the selection of others for HiFiman, they range from $60 to upwards of $200, which I absolutely cannot afford. I hear differing arguments between those who think cables have absolutely no impact, to those who think that a high quality cable can make cans sound hundreds of bucks more than they cost. I'm gonna stay neutral on it for now, since I've never heard anything other than the cables included on the headphones I've got, but would you say there is a fairly noticeable difference between the stock, and maybe a $60 upgrade?

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #15,206 of 20,386
I've seen multiple pairs on the head-fi classifieds for right at $400 as well as the Amazon marketplace. To my ears the pads improved the imaging and soundstage a bit but otherwise no huge improvement.

As far as cables go, I do think they can clean up a headphones sound a bit but certainly not turn it into a different animal. For this case though, a $60 would be worth it to not have to deal with the ridiculous microphonics of the stock cable. Head-fier wje makes really nice cables that are sleeved in paracord that would be exactly what you need.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #15,207 of 20,386
I've seen multiple pairs on the head-fi classifieds for right at $400 as well as the Amazon marketplace. To my ears the pads improved the imaging and soundstage a bit but otherwise no huge improvement.

As far as cables go, I do think they can clean up a headphones sound a bit but certainly not turn it into a different animal. For this case though, a $60 would be worth it to not have to deal with the ridiculous microphonics of the stock cable. Head-fier wje makes really nice cables that are sleeved in paracord that would be exactly what you need.

Yeah, I was thinking about getting em from here. 

The Focus Pads are about $40, and I'm seeing cable prices all over the place in the mess of the sale forums, so I think I might make those a separate purchase in the future. Also, I checked on wje and can't find any threads of his related to selling cables. I'm still terrible at the internet.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #15,208 of 20,386
Yeah, I was thinking about getting em from here. 

The Focus Pads are about $40, and I'm seeing cable prices all over the place in the mess of the sale forums, so I think I might make those a separate purchase in the future. Also, I checked on wje and can't find any threads of his related to selling cables. I'm still terrible at the internet.

He doesn't advertise his services but you can see them and his feedback on eBay. Just look up the seller wjernst

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #15,209 of 20,386

No,dont expect $900 sound from it
When driven properly it bested my hd800 on most amps so $900 is too low

Users who are viewing this thread

Back