HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #15,046 of 20,386
Hello,
I just jumped on the HE-500 bandwagon.  What are the break-in characteristics for it?  I listened for about an hour (straight out of the box) and the treble seemed kinda dead.  Does it open up over time?  Is that something that's amplifier dependent?  I'm hooking it up to a Meier Audio Corda HA-1 Mk I (yep, I not II, it's old).

Thanks!

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #15,047 of 20,386
  Hello,
I just jumped on the HE-500 bandwagon.  What are the break-in characteristics for it?  I listened for about an hour (straight out of the box) and the treble seemed kinda dead.  Does it open up over time?  Is that something that's amplifier dependent?  I'm hooking it up to a Meier Audio Corda HA-1 Mk I (yep, I not II, it's old).

Thanks!

you need something that can output more power to drive he500, i even tried meier corda classic and imo, the classic was far from enough power for the he500. This cans scale very good with amount of power :)

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #15,048 of 20,386
I'm selling my mini-x and speaker taps for a good price if anyone is interested. I'm in oz so probably not wise to send OS but it could be done. Probably the best budget amp you could get. It's be pumping over 13w into the HE500s. The HE500s can take it and sound as loud as speakers

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #15,049 of 20,386
I'm selling my mini-x and speaker taps for a good price if anyone is interested. I'm in oz so probably not wise to send OS but it could be done. Probably the best budget amp you could get. It's be pumping over 13w into the HE500s. The HE500s can take it and sound as loud as speakers

13w is nothing for this :))
last week i tried it with my friend master 10 speaker amp and it even bested the m9+hd800 T__T quaite suprise the scalability of this can

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #15,050 of 20,386
last week i tried it with my friend master 10 speaker amp and it even bested the m9+hd800 T__T quaite suprise the scalability of this can

lol I've maxed out the volume on the mini-x, so loud you can't put it on your ears. It still remained clear and undistorted which was a surprise

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #15,051 of 20,386
He should have removed the sheath and paracorded the whole thing but it's more effort I guess. I made my own, Canare quad star and neutrik XLR. Cost is about $20 for 2.5m

If the only objective is more durability you could probably save even more by simply adding sleeving to stock cable. Could probably slide the sleeve and shrink tubing right over SMC terminated end and avoid any re-soldering.

are there any sleeving tutorials\guides?

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #15,052 of 20,386
Focus (alone). I didn't hear any significant sound change from normal velour, but the comfort is greatly improved. Be aware that many users prefer Focus A pads for the 560 and/or did not like the Focus for the 500. I wasn't expecting any sonic changes from velour to Focus pads, so I didn't heard any. Expectations must be considered.

Can you elaborate a bit on the differences between the sonics with the focus vs focus A. I have always been curious and when searching I find super conflicting stuff

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #15,054 of 20,386
also any idea why head-direct is so slow with he500?

Maybe its because its an 'end of life' product? They took it from their product line as far i understood...so it maybe doesnt have a priority? the he400i and he560 replaced it..but i can be wrong. :xf_eek:

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #15,055 of 20,386
  are there any sleeving tutorials\guides?

Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33173aCy6c    

People use paracord and even shoe laces :)   And of course you can purchase audio cable sleeving for more $$.   Just stay away from anything that's "rough" i.e. nylon mesh types are easy to work with,  great for computer cables, terrible for headphone as they are microphonic i.e. rubbing produces noise in HP.

With HE-500 cable I'm thinking slide one long piece over long part of cable, two short pieces over cables after Y, then short piece of heat shrink tubing at 1/4 connector, Y branch, and at each SMC Connector.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #15,056 of 20,386
Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33173aCy6c    

People use paracord and even shoe laces :)   And of course you can purchase audio cable sleeving for more $$.   Just stay away from anything that's "rough" i.e. nylon mesh types are easy to work with,  great for computer cables, terrible for headphone as they are microphonic i.e. rubbing produces noise in HP.

With HE-500 cable I'm thinking slide one long piece over long part of cable, two short pieces over cables after Y, then short piece of heat shrink tubing at 1/4 connector, Y branch, and at each SMC Connector.

You planning on using paracord over the existing wire without removing the connectors and jack? If so you'd need pretty big cord, plus it'd look pretty crappy like the one in that YouTube clip

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #15,057 of 20,386
You planning on using paracord over the existing wire without removing the connectors and jack? If so you'd need pretty big cord, plus it'd look pretty crappy like the one in that YouTube clip

Actually it's guy3134 - he was worried about durability of cable and looking for cheap but sturdier replacement - I suggested that if only objective was durability then adding sleeve for a couple bucks might be worth considering and that he MIGHT be able to do it without any re-soldering.  Just need to find sleeving that expands enough to get the SMC connected end through but snugs tight when stretched and secured with heat shrink tubing.  Looking at some sleeving material I have on hand and looks like opening is about 8mm compressed and snugs down to about 2mm when stretched.  Should be doable.  Didn't say it was the ideal scenario for best aesthetics 
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #15,058 of 20,386

Actually it's guy3134 - he was worried about durability of cable and looking for cheap but sturdier replacement - I suggested that if only objective was durability then adding sleeve for a couple bucks might be worth considering and that he MIGHT be able to do it without any re-soldering.  Just need to find sleeving that expands enough to get the SMC connected end through but snugs tight when stretched and secured with heat shrink tubing.  Looking at some sleeving material I have on hand and looks like opening is about 8mm compressed and snugs down to about 2mm when stretched.  Should be doable.  Didn't say it was the ideal scenario for best aesthetics 
wink.gif

Fair enough. If looks aren't an issue then I'd say it could work :)

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #15,059 of 20,386

lol I've maxed out the volume on the mini-x, so loud you can't put it on your ears. It still remained clear and undistorted which was a surprise

Weren't you afraid to damage the headphones?

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #15,060 of 20,386
Weren't you afraid to damage the headphones?

I didn't max it out straight away, I slowly turned it up and kept checking if it was fine. I think it could take even more than max volume. My cans are still fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back