HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 7, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #14,056 of 20,386
  I was expecting that you couldn't resist yet another pair of pads to play with. Maybe they won't itch your ears.

Too true.  I just hope the openings won't prove too small.  The stated 6 cm would be perfect, but then another Head-Fier measured his at 5.2 cm.  Well, we shall see.  Those Q701 pads are proving difficult to beat.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #14,057 of 20,386

Too true.  I just hope the openings won't prove too small.  The stated 6 cm would be perfect, but then another Head-Fier measured his at 5.2 cm.  Well, we shall see.  Those Q701 pads are proving difficult to beat.

How's the cable you made working out? Do you miss the microphonics and stiffness of the OEM cable? 
biggrin.gif
 Must be much more comfy.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #14,058 of 20,386
  How's the cable you made working out? Do you miss the microphonics and stiffness of the OEM cable? 
biggrin.gif
 Must be much more comfy.

Both are working out fine.  I've got a 6' and a ~10' one, if I need to move around the Lab.  Always the danger of getting rolled over by the chair.  Well, it's survived a few such incidents with no ill effects, so that says something.  The stock cable has been sleeved, which helps a bit, not that it gets much use.  Mine are far more supple.

How's your super secret project coming?  When are you gonna spring that bad boy on the world... or at least us poor, unsuspecting Head-Fiers?

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #14,059 of 20,386
They seem quite similar to the old pads. My ears are quite large and the opening doesn't cover my entire ear. The angle though does create a little bit more pressure on the lower part of my ear. The angling of the pads does seem to help with sound staging, Chesky's binaural sound testers did freak me out slightly more than usual.

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #14,060 of 20,386

Both are working out fine.  I've got a 6' and a ~10' one, if I need to move around the Lab.  Always the danger of getting rolled over by the chair.  Well, it's survived a few such incidents with no ill effects, so that says something.  The stock cable has been sleeved, which helps a bit, not that it gets much use.  Mine are far more supple.

How's your super secret project coming?  When are you gonna spring that bad boy on the world... or at least us poor, unsuspecting Head-Fiers?

Dr. Evil's master plan takes time. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #14,061 of 20,386
quick question regarding a diy balanced 4 pin XLR cable for the HE500

I am using some Mogami W2534.

Would there be any benefit in connecting the braided shield to the XLR connector ground [so basically it is floated at the headphone side where the 2 pairs split into a Y]?

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #14,063 of 20,386
  quick question regarding a diy balanced 4 pin XLR cable for the HE500

I am using some Mogami W2534.

Would there be any benefit in connecting the braided shield to the XLR connector ground [so basically it is floated at the headphone side where the 2 pairs split into a Y]?

Yes that way any RF picked up or any static generated will drain to the amp chassis

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #14,065 of 20,386

For some reason they look extra comfy. Wonder if they're better than my Denon d7000 pads for HE-500!?!?!

Also, are those Rokits?

They ARE super confy. Much more than stock velour or pleather pads. Also, the sound improved a lot. Much more intimate, detailed and fuller.

And those are a rather unknown bookshelfs, but are pretty good for the price (around USD$130):

http://www.thonet-vander.com/kurbis.html

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #14,066 of 20,386
Alright, it's definitely the cable that's faulty on my HE500.

Are there any good cables under $100? I'd hate to pay $60 on a crappy factory replacement that will just die again in under 2 more years.

Preferably one that's shorter?

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #14,067 of 20,386

They ARE super confy. Much more than stock velour or pleather pads. Also, the sound improved a lot. Much more intimate, detailed and fuller.

And those are a rather unknown bookshelfs, but are pretty good for the price (around USD$130):

http://www.thonet-vander.com/kurbis.html

They bear a striking resemblance to the Rokits. Glad to hear they're comfy! 

Alright, it's definitely the cable that's faulty on my HE500.

Are there any good cables under $100? I'd hate to pay $60 on a crappy factory replacement that will just die again in under 2 more years.

Preferably one that's shorter?

Whew! Glad to hear it's just the cable!

I bought one from this guy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Foot-Custom-HifiMan-Headphone-Cable-1-4-TRS-Plug-/111335850390?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item19ec224196

He's also a member here on head-fi. The cable is really well built. Lots of details in the cable to ensure it doesn't fall apart later. The kind of details you won't find from most cable manufacturer's that are charging more than the headphones.

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #14,068 of 20,386
I recently got the Toxic Cables Silver Poison cable from the For Sale forum, given the many great reviews for it. I was quite disappointed with it however, as there is a microphonics issue. 

I'm considering putting it for sale but I don't want other head-fiers to be as disappointed as me, so I might be stuck with it for the time being. I am however thinking of another cable, this time with a proper sleeve. I've had my eye out on Norne Cables for that reason.

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #14,069 of 20,386
I recently the Toxic Cables Silver Poison cable from the For Sale forum, given the many great reviews for it. I was quite disappointed with it however, as there is a microphonics issue. 

I'm considering putting it for sale but I don't want other head-fiers to be as disappointed as me, so I might be stuck with it for the time being. I am however thinking of another cable, this time with a proper sleeve. I've had my eye out on Norne Cables for that reason.

Am sorry to hear that..but its weird though..i had 3 toxic cables until,now and two adapter cables..and not one had the issues ur talking about..but i have to admit..i didnt had the silver poison..my cables were (and still is) all black widows..

.i do know he improves his cables regularey..so i dont know how old the cable is u bought second hand..maybe its an older revision? and are u sure it was built by toxic cables itself? If i am not mistaken i understand some people buying the raw wires from toxic cables and then making the cables (sleeving etc) themselves....

Oh well..i do hope u will find the right cable for u....as microphobics is something i cant stand also..thats why i asked toxic cables to sleeve my last cable with tough black nylon sleeving, instead of any other flashy sleeve. :wink:
BTW norse cables is also a brand i know make excellent cables. :p

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #14,070 of 20,386
Am sorry to hear that..but its weird though..i had 3 toxic cables until,now and two adapter cables..and not one had the issues ur talking about..but i have to admit..i didnt had the silver poison..my cables were (and still is) all black widows..

.i do know he improves his cables regularey..so i dont know how old the cable is u bought second hand..maybe its an older revision? and are u sure it was built by toxic cables itself? If i am not mistaken i understand some people buying the raw wires from toxic cables and then making the cables (sleeving etc) themselves....

Oh well..i do hope u will find the right cable for u....as microphobics is something i cant stand also..thats why i asked toxic cables to sleeve my last cable with tough black nylon sleeving, instead of any other flashy sleeve.
wink.gif

BTW norse cables is also a brand i know make excellent cables.
tongue.gif

The seller is very trustworthy and all the signs point to an original Toxic Cable Silver Poison, including the branding on the cable itself. It is the "unsleeved" version so perhaps this is the cause of the problem? I have no qualms about the sounds, but when head movements rub the cable on my shirt/chair is clearly audible while playing music, it's a problem... which is why I am indeed looking for a much better isolated cable, and I love the look of the Norne cables...

I also wonder if it's easy to sleeve a cable myself? that can definitely help my issue, but I am hopeless with any DIY stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back